Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Magicians" on BBC1

+13
nethie
Yodaphine
KatieB
jolovesbunnies
Becki
Grin
Snowy
Catsknickers
alio
LilyGrace
Joanne26
NickieM
Corrina
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"The Magicians" on BBC1 Empty "The Magicians" on BBC1

Post by Corrina Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Has anyone else watched this show tonight? It featured an act that included about 30 rabbits. In light of the Horsford Rabbits and as a general animal welfare issue, I found it questionable. A television studio is not a suitable place for rabbits, and on a couple of occasions, rabbits looked scared at the magicians shouting. I also found it worrying that a couple of rabbits were squashed into boxes, although it was just for a short space of time. Even my 10 year old recognised all of this, and pointed out that individual animals were showing signs of fear. At the end of the act, the magician gave one of the rabbits a kiss which makes me think that these particular bunnies are loved and cared for. But again its giving out an impression that rabbits are just cute and furry, and disregarding that it was probably really stressful and unsuitable for them.

I think I feel a complaint coming on, with reference to the work that PACT and other rescues are doing....

And again, if this was cats or dogs there would be an outcry.

I do feel that I would mingle very well with Toyah Wilcox and Gloria Hunniford....

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

"The Magicians" on BBC1 Empty Re: "The Magicians" on BBC1

Post by NickieM Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 pm

I totally agree with you. I find it unsettling to see animals used as props. Would people be happy if it was a collection of tiny babies being used?
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanne26 Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 am

I couldn't agree more, i was really enjoying the show up until this point. I actually felt sick while watching it and the way he kept shouting while he was holding the bunnies was unsettling for me as well. It p*ssed me right off. I did go straight to the BBC website but couldn't see where to complain.
Joanne26
Joanne26
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1031
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 am

Agreed too! Maybe one dog doing a trick is fine but they generally enjoy it...but rabbits are normally farely timid...I know mine hate it even if they just meet a new person >_<!
Gah it also just gives off the impression that they aren't intelligent enough to be scared or bothered about it... HBWS
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by alio Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:22 am

Joanne26 wrote:I couldn't agree more, i was really enjoying the show up until this point. I actually felt sick while watching it and the way he kept shouting while he was holding the bunnies was unsettling for me as well. It p*ssed me right off. I did go straight to the BBC website but couldn't see where to complain.

Here's a link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

I've complained, not sure what the BBC were thinking and I certainly don't want my money spent on it. The size of the hutch they had on was disgraceful too. Hasn't done a lot for rabbit welfare really Hmmm
alio
alio
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:44 am

I saw the very end of this as the magician was holding a giant bunny. I was fuming, it was terrified and the shouting and the clapping were obviously distrssing all the bunnies. Thanks for the complaints link. Will be filing mine. As Corrina said we make one step forward and then 12 steps back with an item like this Sad
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:03 am

I didn't like it and thought those bunnies looked so stressed, it was awful, I worry about their future too, where are they all kept?, what happens to them?, I wish I didn't think like this at times Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Grin Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 am

i wrote in to complain. Here's my letter:

I was shocked to see the use of live rabbits on your show last night. This really gives out the wrong message that it is ok to use animals for entertainment.

I've concerns about the animals used in the programme - there are all sorts of welfare issues this raises. I wonder where the animals came from and where the rabbits will end up now the show is over.

Apart from the animals used in the show, using these on TV also has further implications. There are over 33,000 rabbits in rescue centres already. Many coming from breeders who supply the met and meat industry and have 'surplus stock'.

I also have concerns that the show will lead to parents buying rabbits for their children, again supporting the pet trade and putting further strain on our rescues.

Recently, there's been a horrific case of cruelty and neglect by a backyard breeder supplying the pet and meat industry where 74 rabbits were rescued (34 of them pregnant). Our UK rescue centres are at bursting point and struggling to cope.

Ill thought out shows such as this one showing animals as entertainment does not help the cause of rabbit rescues and I would like assurances that the rabbits are well cared for in suitable living conditions that meet guidelines as set out by the RSPCA and that showing animals for entertainment purposes will not happen again.

Perhaps you would like to donate to the cause by way of an apology?

http://www.pactsanctuary.org/donatio...d-rabbits.html

I look forward to hearing from you.
Grin
Grin
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm

I have put in a complaint. what annoyed me most was when he lifted one of the buns and her back legs were splayed out and he did airplane impressions with her. Also the assistant and her stupid stiletto shoes. There were so many very young rabbits loose that it was an incredibly dangerous thing to wear. The fact that they were burrowing under the shed to hide showed how stressed they were.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Very good letter Thumbs Up I was trying to find a clip of this on youtube, but I guess one isn't up yet...might have to look on bbc i player if it's on there...then if I decide to write a complaint I'll have actually seen it lol Smile
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 pm

That's what I did. I watched it on BBC I-player first. It is at the end of the programme.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Hate anything like this. Will have a look on Iplayer though just so I can complain. Poor rabbits Sad
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I was thinking, surely everytime he does this trick he needs baby buns...so they don't fight. So when these ones get older, he'll need more baby rabbits? I dunno...it would be good to know the background behind it.I've watched it now and found it particularly horrible when he was using the rabbit as a "phone" it was kicking and trying to get away...and he was shouting right by it Mad
The giant bunny at the end looked really distressed when hutch fell away too, sudden movements like that always scare rabbits and then for tht whole studio to be revealed to it must have made it even worse No
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I completely missed it but if you need any support with a complaint, please let me know.

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Ive just complained too, im finding this sickening!

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Yodaphine Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Im so glad this has been raised, the act was heartbreaking the part where he used the bunny as a 'phone' was shocking, made me feel sick! if that was what he planned to do he should have used a stuffed toy! HBWS I thought animal welfare had to be involved in any acts containing the use of any animal, how on earth was this even allowed to happen!
Complaint filed!! Mad Mad Mad

Yodaphine
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nethie Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:28 pm

i emailed a complaint too last night Crying or Very sad

nethie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2334
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:15 pm

I've e-mailed, thanks for bringing it up Corrina, you're sooo right x
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Excellent letter. Will file my complaint now too. Thumbs Up
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 am

Here's mine. Just about to email the RSPCA too - blatant cruelty.

I was utterly sickened by the treatment of the rabbits used for the trick in the final part of "The Magicians" on Saturday night. I will begin with the treatment I felt was deliberately cruel, then move onto the welfare issues that you have highlighted.
1. A TV studio is no place for a nervous creature like a rabbit. The noise, heat and situation would have been unbearable for them. That they were clearly terrified is obvious from the way they all struggled to hide under the shed.
2. Rabbits need to be handled correctly. To pick them up without supporting their hind legs can cause serious damage, and is painful at the best of times.
3. The rabbit used as a mobile phone was obviously terrified, and may have been in pain. Holding a rabbit incorrectly and screaming at it is possibly the worst case of broadcasted cruelty I have ever seen.
4. The assistant is walking around a group of about thirty rabbits in stillettos, and could have seriously injured them.

Secondly, rabbit welfare is a serious issue in Britain today. By broadcasting this piece of "theatre" you have set the campaign by RSPCA and MMC back years. The hutch you used as a prop was far too small to keep a single rabbit in (I wouldn't have a guinea pig in there). There will be kids up and down the country now mirroring the disgraceful actions of the magician, treating rabbits as objects and injuring them. If you'd performed this stunt with cats or dogs there would be outcry. I expect rabbit sales in pet shops and garden centres will double this week, while all the time our rescue centres are full to bursting.

There was a welfare case only last week where 74 rabbits were rescued from a breeding farm, where decomposed bodies and charred remains were found alongside living rabbits. I suggest you about read it on the MMC website.

The BBC should make a full public apology for this broadcast, and highlight in it rabbit welfare issues. I have also contacted the RSPCA to report your cruelty, and I eagerly await your response.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2743

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am

I have requested a response. I wonder if any of us will hear?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm

OfCom are on 0845 456 3000 and 0207 981 3040 - I've complained to them too.

I also spoke to the RSPCA this morning and they said they usually put out a response to things like this so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 pm

I have just gotten round to writing my complaint, probably not as well written as all yours but I think I made the same point Laughing

Let's hope we get some kind of reaction back...maybe even on points of view?! (is that programme still running?)
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyT Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes, that repellant Jeremy wotsit from radio two does it. Ofcom weren't much help, apparently they only deal with people distressed by television programmes Rolling Eyes

I'm not letting them get away with this Mad
KathyT
KathyT
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Corrina Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 am

Complaint submitted to BBC! Use of words such as"irresponsible" and "ignorance" put to good use, as well as many issues raised.

I wonder how many complaints they have received so far? The ones above are brilliant, they sum it all up. Am still full of disbelief though, at Saturday nights programme. Lets hope we've done some good, I guess its been an opportunity to hopefully inform the uninformed, about bunny care and welfare.

Oooh, my Blanche-Roberta is looking at me....that usually means she has a question.

Talk soon Hoppers xx

Corrina
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next