Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit?

5 posters

Go down

Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit? Empty Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit?

Post by Jay Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm

When you give nose rubs and strokes etc, and they grind their teeth, is it possible that this will help with teeth erosion? I was thinking that the teeth must be pretty soft if they can be eroded by grass, and can be easily clipped. Does anyone know if the action of teeth grinding is the same action as for eating?

Was thinking that cuddles, strokes and nose rubs could be more beneficial to buns than we realise, especially housebuns or infirm buns that don't nec. have access to unlimited grass, or buns that don't like/won't/can't eat hay.

If so, then should we recommend these actions as a health benefit as well as companion bonding etc?
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit? Empty Re: Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit?

Post by Shellypops Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I think that it must help with the tooth erosion. Must admit to never having thought about it till just this minute now you have mentioned it! Laughing

I am very very lucky to have two such affectionate bunny friends. Snuggling them has helped my mental state greatly, so it must help theirs also.
Shellypops
Shellypops
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit? Empty Re: Teeth grinding/purring question - is it a health benefit?

Post by Catsknickers Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 pm

GOsh I had never thought about it !? Good point!
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I think it depends on which way the motion occurs, if it's side to side, which I assume it would be otherwise you'd get a 'chattering' sound, then that is how teeth are worn on forage....so I'd say there would be some benefit.

On the other hand you wouldn't want to encourage over-erosion as enamel would wear down much faster on tooth against tooth.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

I bow to Sooz in all things medical Very Happy

It's a really interesting idea Jay, I never thought of it. Bruce always purs when I pat him, while Josephine has never purred in her life. Josephine's the dental bunny, but I suspect that could also be because of her breed.

NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:41 pm

There is a chance that it could be uncomfortable for a dental bunny to make the required jaw motion to produce a purr, which may explain why some don't do it. Of course, it is probably primarily down to personality too.

About 50% of my rabbits have purred.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Oh that's interesting, I just took it that all buns did it, I dunno why, but I guess it's obvious that any with dental pain wouldn't.

I got a very hurried response from Anne "grinding may help back teeth but not make difference to front. Not sure if it is the same as grinding the grass which is highly abrasive, or if same action is used........."

Will try and follow that up with her at some point.
Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down