Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit Exercise

+2
KatieB
alicia
6 posters

Go down

Rabbit Exercise Empty Rabbit Exercise

Post by alicia Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm

My Mum won't let me get another run for the rabbits. I will be able to get a hutch that is big enough for a pair of rabbits and she said I can add height to the run we already have, but I won't be able to make it any wider or longer, and I don't know if it will be big enough, though I was thinking of maybe trying to add a level or something in the run just to make it a bit more interesting for the rabbits. They would be able to go in this run whilst I was at school (so about 7.30am - 4pm) and they could go in it at night too.

But are there any other ways of exercising rabbits without the run? As I said, they could go in the run in the day but as I think it may be a little smaller than what I would want for them (it's just over 6ft long, but it's not as wide as the recommended size) so is there any other way of exercising them as well as going in the run that would be ok? I thought about exercising indoors, they could hop around upstairs for a few hours in the evening as well but I don't know if the change in temperature would be bad for them?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2010-05-22

http://www.theguineapighutch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Exercise Empty Re: Rabbit Exercise

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:07 am

I dont think that exercising them in doors would be to much of a problem at all hun.

Its lovely that you care so much about them.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Adding another level into the run would help. You could put in boxes for them to jump up onto and maybe have a sturdy tunnel connecting boxes etc. They love things like ramps as long as they have ridges and all hidey holes.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Thank you Smile I also think having them indoors with me, even if just for a few hours a night, will help them get used to me when they first get here. I'm so excited! Very Happy I've seen some rabbits that I really like I just hope they are still at the rescue in March Laughing
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by becky Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

My two come in and out all over winter. I alternate free ranging in the house and garden each night, unless the weather is that awful that I really can't sit outside to supervise them Laughing We hardly ever have our heating on though so the house is cold, and I tend to let them play in the kitchen/dining room because its the largest room in the house and never gets warm even with the heating on Very Happy I also try to keep the back door open when they are in to keep it even cooler, but if thats not possible the windows are definitely always open while they are inside

Sorry hun, think I misunderstood Embarassed Are you not getting your bunnies until March? The temp change will be fine by about then I would have thought. You only really have to be careful over winter Very Happy

becky
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2714
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Really glad that you have decided to rescue some buns. That is a lovely thing to do - so much better than getting on from a shop. Well done you.

If there is anything else you need to know, please ask us. Can't wait to hear all about your buns when you get them in May.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

My Dad has suggested putting the two runs together to be like this:

Rabbit Exercise Gardenphotos003

But then my guinea-pigs wouldn't have a run, so I was thinking of when the guinea-pigs are in the run, I could bring the rabbits into the house and let them run around so they still get exercise. I was also thinking of going to the pet shop and getting a fold-up metal run for the guinea-pigs so that they can have that but I can fold it up and put it away when it's not in use. The reason Mum won't let me have another run is because she doesn't want lots of runs round the garden. Yes, I'm getting them in March Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm

I have spoken to the rescue, and unfortunately even with the two runs together it wouldn't meet their guidelines, and they don't like the idea of them exercising inside.
I know this is not as good as going to a rescue, and I totally 100% do not want to go to a pet shop and I won't, but I was considering rehoming one from someone who doesn't want their rabbit anymore. I know the run isn't rescue guidelines but I thought if I could exercise them indoors as well in the evening so they can stretch their legs it might be a bit better for them. I don't know what your opinion is on this?
I don't want to be selfish and give a rabbit a rubbish home just because I want one, I'd rather give a rabbit a good home or not have a rabbit at all, because it wouldn't be fair on the rabbit if it was miserable. I would really like a rabbit, so I'm trying to find a way to make it work.
So, do you think that the rabbits having a 6x 2 ft hutch with access to a 6ft run during the day, and a few hours indoors in the evening before going back in their hutch at night would be ok?
My friend also said that I could get a harness and lead for them but I don't know if these are ok for rabbits or not?
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Alicia

I think the way your dad has put the runs together is a great idea, could he build a floor into half of the run so they have more floor space and the height at one end of the run only? Will this be permanently attached to the hutch?
My run isn't 6 ft long, it's just over 5ft so I wouldn't have been able to adopt from the rescue your adopting from either, and I think my buns have a good living area with me. Of course more room is better but your set up sounds lovely to me. You obviously care about the rabbits you want to adopt. Could you not try another rescue? I know rescues want the best for their animals and sorry if this offends anyone but crickey, surely the home you are offering is heaps better than being shut in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden with a mouldy waterbottle and no hay which potentially could have been the rabbits previous existence?
Two of my buns came from free adds, in hindsight I would have gone straight to a rescue as rabbits from good rescues are dental checked, vaccinated and neutered which saves you money and gives you peace of mind about their health.
Has the rescue seen your set up?
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Oh just to add, you can get fold up wooden runs. My piggies have one that they use on the grass and patio if it's raining. It folds up and lives in the shed overnight. I know what your mum means about all the runs in the garden! My garden has been taken over, there's hardly any room for my 3 kids to play now!
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Alicia,

I think that would be fine. This buns/buns are obviously going to be very loved. The fold up run is a great idea. They can also be used inside and out which you will find really handy for the bun. There are lots and lots of buns that need really good homes and someone to care for them. I dont think it matters where you rescue them from, so long as they are given a good home, which I think you will.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you Smile Unfortunately I can't get anymore runs. I suggested a fold up run and Mum said no. At least I can get a new hutch for the rabbits which will be just under 7ft. Most rescues near me have the same guidelines. I think nearer the time I'm going to have a look in the free-ads and newspapers and try and find some unwanted rabbits. I can get them neutered if needed and they can get their vaccinations too Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 am

Just read this thread from the hopping mad-ezine! Did you get some bunnies in need of the lovely home you were offering? I really hope so! The comment about them being soooo much better off than in a small hutch with a mouldy bottle and no hay was spot on, I completely agree Wave
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes, I got 2 rabbits from a rescue last month. They are 6 month old brother and sister named Archie and Molly, and my Mum let me buy a 6ft run to go with the hutch Very Happy They seem quite happy Smile
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh how lovely!! They are boooootifull! So glad it worked out for you, they look very happy indeed! How are you enjoying having them? I suppose you have spent the last month getting to know them, what have you discovered about their personalites fo far? Very Happy
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

oooo do tell us how they are settling in Alicia?????
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

They are really good Smile Archie is so friendly and likes to be with people, but Molly is really energetic and doesn't sit still, I set up a few jumps for her and she loved it. They both run round the garden now but come back when I shake the food bowl Laughing
alicia
alicia
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Thats brilliant hun,

Im glad you are enjoying them. Sounds like they are really happy x x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Ahhh thats excellent! Sounds like they were very lucky the day you took them home Love

We soon learn the things they like and the things they dont hey Very Happy

Felix and Willow are both girls, and couldnt be more different. Felix will run upstairs and binky on the landing, while willow is happy to watch from half way up. When i turn the hoover on Willow doesnt mind at all and continues munching her hay, whilst Felix dives for cover. Felix will come and nudge us for a stroke, whilst willow will just follow us around and wait untill we stroke her. Willow mostly snoozes curled up in a ball, though Felix stretches out all the time.

Sounds like your two are lovely bunnies and Im really pleased to hear that two bunnies that cant have had the best start found their way to you Very Happy
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down