Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat bunny.....

+2
SarahJane
Indie22
6 posters

Go down

Fat bunny..... Empty Fat bunny.....

Post by Indie22 Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey everyone, been off a wee while. Just lately peanut has become, well................FAT. I never quite realised, although shes always been bigger until my mum let them out the other day and couldnt stop laughing at lazy fat peanut wadling about. She is not obese by anymeans but her spine is quite well hidden and most of it is round her front and chest. She is neutered which will contribute. As you know she lives with others in a 8ft x 6ft shed and has access to the full garden which is about 30ft or more so plenty excersice. She doesnt get any treats at all. She is allowed a tiny amount of fresh veg a couple of times a week but none at the minute as cookie has a sensitive tum again. She has access to hay all the time and her burgess nougats are put down twice a day to feed 4 of them, split up there would be around a 3rd of the standard mug for each rabbit. I really dont think reducing to an eggcup a day would do much for her but theres not much else I can do is there? As I say she isnt stupidly fat but she is a wee dumpling lol

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2010-03-08

http://www.eladonnsreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Fat bunny..... Empty Re: Fat bunny.....

Post by SarahJane Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Oh its like looking in a mirror!

I have three buns and they have a shed and run too, and Domino is SUCH a little pudding. He just doesnt do alot. I have found that keeping him entertained is the key, he is like a child and needs new things to keep him busy.

Now in the morning Mum gives them a stuffed toilet roll with hay and a couple of pellets, then they get a big forage basket with hay, a few more pellets and some dried leaves etc to forage though, and willow balls etc.

They used to get stuff like that anyway but we now have to make a point that he gets that every day or he becomes lazy. Change round their set up as much as possible, your bun has access to the garden and mine have a run but the principle is the same, some days I turn the run into a natural heaven, digging boxes of dirt, apple branches, and other days it looks like i just bought pets at home Laughing but he loves it, and everytime it looks different he spends hours checking everything out.

Maybe get some tunnels and put them in the garden, or make a digging box or forage box so she has more to keep her entertained? some buns are just little divas! xx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm

im glad someone else knows what I mean but peanut is active, infat probably second most active out the 4, always jumping, the first to explore new stuff and runs riot. Then again I dont have the frame to ever be a size 8 maybe shes just the same haha

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Are they a bonded four? any chance she is getting more of the food? x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

They are a bonded 4 yeah, I watch them eat and in the evening she may eat more but it seems quite equal in the morning.

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

I do find that sometimes some bunnies are a bit chunkier than others, as long as she is okay in herself which it sounds like she is and can clean herself etc then I wouldnt worry too much, just keep doing what youre doing so she doesnt become lazy! Laughing xxx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Indie22 Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:32 pm

ok im glad to hear it, cookie is the only one that has problems with a dirty bum but shes always had a weaker immune system. peanut is clean 99% of the time

Indie22
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 pm

I think we should start a group "Owners of Fat Bunnies Anonymous".

My Bruce is a bit of a porker. I can always feel the bones in his spine and back area, but he has a massive amount of fat around his middle. Bruce is lazy like Domino, naughty boys Very Happy If you do become concerned about their weight, I would recommend cutting out all food except for hay for a few days a week. Peanut's friends won't like it (and you can give them sneaky food on the side when he is not paying attention) but it works a treat in getting them slimmer.
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 am

I have a few porkers as well Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing , of course they always put on a bit more weight during the winter so it could be that, but if not then try cutting the pellets down
Snowy
Snowy
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6022
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 pm

When I had Sophie my agouti lop, we took her to the vet for her injections, however she proved to be overweight and notes were given to us stating the fact. She made me promise not to tell the other two buns though LOL!!

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by justine Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 am

My two have become porkers over the winter months. They have been inside all winter so haven't been running around the garden like they usually do. They do have a treat of dried banana though at bed time, to encourage them to go to bad, so I am cutting that right down and reducing pellets too. I really think lack of bombing about is causing most of it though.
justine
justine
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-01

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Rabbit_Rendezvous/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down