Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeder hutches..

+2
Amelia66
LilyGrace
6 posters

Go down

Breeder hutches.. Empty Breeder hutches..

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I have just discovered the concept of "breeder" hutches... I was looking at free ads for rabbit things as I need another pen to use to corden areas off...and came across one which said "4ft breeder hutch. Ideal for breeding rabbits or housing guinea pigs or rodents. 4 seperate hutches in one unit. Each hutch has a mesh front door and enclosed sleeping compartment with wooden door. Excellent condiditon as kept in garage, so pretty much as new."

So decided to look up breeder hutches online and came across this website http://www.rabbithutchwarehouse.co.uk/breeder_hutches.php

Can anyone enlighten me on this? Do people keep the rabbits in there temporarily or is this what they just house their breeding rabbits in all the time? I'm shocked either way, they are tiny! I also came across a woman giving away adult mini rexes for free...but says in the add "for breeding more than pets"...why are they not suitable for pets?! Why can't these poor bunnys not have a chance Hissy I think I have just wound myself up over it...bleh! This is one of the poor little guys Breeder hutches.. 3172636-519m I know, I know...I shouldn't look and I know it's always gonna be there, but one thing lead to another and there I was. What is wrong with people No

Last edited by LilyGrace on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Breeder hutches.. Empty Re: Breeder hutches..

Post by Amelia66 Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

yea they live full time in them with their litter, pregnant does live in them before giving birth as well. You can actually find them in pet stores, some small pet stores actually recommend these for pet rabbits! HBWS

The reason they are advertised as more breeders than pets is they come from breeding parents or they have already been used as breeders [dependant on their age] they will also not be used to people as they wont be handled much and some can be seen as aggressive when they are just scared. To be honest if they were neutered and looked after i expect they would make great pet rabbits.

Its sad isn't it that people do this to rabbits.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 pm

AWFUL!!!!!!!!!! Sad

and that poor white rabbit he/she look's so tensed up and unhappy Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Ah thanks for the info! Yeah I figured that it'd be because they've already been used for breeding, it's just so sad that they just keep getting passed around and no one even considers they'd make great pets if they were looked after properly. I'm guessing that just keeps happening until they are too old to breed, or get ill and die Rolling Eyes it's such a shame, I don't see why they can't be looked after properly even when they are used for breeding!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:AWFUL!!!!!!!!!! Sad

and that poor white rabbit he/she look's so tensed up and unhappy Sad

I know..poor guy his feet are all yellow too...I msged her asking for photos of the other rabbits, just to be nosey (she's in the same area as me). She mentioned that she has other rabbits than can all go with their hutches too for free No Why these people think it's okay to care poorly for their animals just because they are using them for breeding I have no idea!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Oh no free rabbits with their hutches Sad that's how much she cares about them after I presume, they have served their purpose. This just makes me want to cry Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix&Willow Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Thats what rory has been in since he was born, with is mum and litter mates, then at some point on his own, a 4ft by 2ft divided into 4 compartments- so his space was 2ft long and 1ft high. Consequently he cant periscope, binky high, or eat out of the hay rack- nor does he do the bunny 500. Yet inspite of all that he is the most affectionate bun ever Smile Makes u so sad and angry doesnt it?! If i was able to have another bun in future, i may do the same thing again, the ones who make it to the rescue are the lucky ones, im still thinking of rorys mum who has been reduced to a tenner- poor girly Sad
Felix&Willow
Felix&Willow
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1123
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruffin Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 pm

[b]I reported a breeder in Sheffield couple of years ago to the RSPCA for cramped conditions etc because the bunns are used for breeding does not meen they dont deserve a full happy life with as much room as other bunns Sad
Ruffin
Ruffin
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 pm

I hate the thought of people breeding lots of rabbits on the off chance that one of them is the right colour or has ears the correct length. It just makes people treat them like objects rather than sentient animals. It is just cruel.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Felix&Willow wrote:Thats what rory has been in since he was born, with is mum and litter mates, then at some point on his own, a 4ft by 2ft divided into 4 compartments- so his space was 2ft long and 1ft high. Consequently he cant periscope, binky high, or eat out of the hay rack- nor does he do the bunny 500. Yet inspite of all that he is the most affectionate bun ever Smile Makes u so sad and angry doesnt it?! If i was able to have another bun in future, i may do the same thing again, the ones who make it to the rescue are the lucky ones, im still thinking of rorys mum who has been reduced to a tenner- poor girly Sad

Glad everyone agrees. I had a thought when I was at work as I kept thinking about this ad and others like it...and ur situation...and no it won't be something I'd be doing soon, but one day I'd love to rehabilitate ex breeding rabbits. They really deserve it after what they go through....I've always wanted to do something for animals, and rabbits now have a special place in my heart. I think this will be my goal now to work towards...I'd have a lot of planning to do towards it. And I may possibly consider taking on an ex breeding rabbit at some point so I could make that journey with them and learn what will need to be done and how. I feel quite excited about having something I want to work towards for my future...as I never really know what to do and this gives me an even better to do an an animal care course and possibly go to the RWAF conference:)

What does everyone think of this idea? bad/good?

*edit*... just looked at other photos of her rabbits, their nails are all overgrown and for some reason the younger bucks sister has yellow ears?! They look urine stained, it's bizzare. Mad

Last edited by LilyGrace on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Oh no free rabbits with their hutches Sad that's how much she cares about them after I presume, they have served their purpose. This just makes me want to cry Crying or Very sad

Sorry to have upset you Hugs
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Argh, can't stop thinking about those white bunsters Sad!! Trying to think of a way I can help, keep looking at the photos she emailed me and it's so depressing looking at them No

Just got her reply about why she is trying to get rid of them "hiya
bit of a long story ...wont bore you with it all but we used to show the rabbits of various breeds and something happend so we decided not to show any more. the ermines were a colour i never wanted but bought a doe for experimental breeding that turned out to be a buck, then was given another buck as a replacement for one that was returned to the breeder...he was black and rung so a white not rung was not much of a replacement.. i put him to our chinchilla doe and had mostly ermine babies. I have gradually rehomed most of the rabbits except my french lops. gonna send photos to your email address. they do look more typey in the flesh, the photos are not at the best angles." HBWS Whyyy get them if you didn't like them in the first place...I wandered what happened that made them stop showing?!
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:11 pm

trouble is its a vicious cycle, buy from her and she will just breed more to cope with the 'demand' or leave the poor bunny in terrible conditions. Its sad with any animals that a bred to show, some are deemed ugly as they dont fit the specific standards, its horrible.

did you report her in the end?
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Ah I wouldn't buy from her anyway, she's just giving them all away for free. Nevermind, ignore my posts, I'll probs forget about it in a few days
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 pm

aww dont say that hun i didnt mean to make you feel bad <3

Its even worse shes giving them away for free, its good to care about it. If shes not making a profit out of them she may actually be stopping breeding as she says which is a good thing. Lets just hope they all go to good home.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyGrace Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah, well she's advertising them as more suitable for breeding so I reckon another breeder will pick them up. Although I've heard before white rabbits aren't very popular!

You didn't make me feel bad, don't worry Smile. I'm just kicking myself for having been nosey and looking into it as it's bothering me a lot.
LilyGrace
LilyGrace
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down