Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making windows in a shed fly proof.

+8
TeddieBaby
KatieB
Happy Hoppers
marleyNfriends
jolovesbunnies
SarahJane
NSD
Tuckerbunnies
12 posters

Go down

Making windows in a shed fly proof. Empty Making windows in a shed fly proof.

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:15 am

I noticed on another thread people talking about fly screening the windows in sheds so I thought I'd show you what we have done in our boarding shed to prevent flies and flying insects or foxes or cats getting in when the windows are open.

Mike made wooden frames with wire mesh on one side and fine fly net mesh on the other side (we got a roll of the very fine fly screen net off ebay as we wanted a fine mesh that none of the little flies or insects could get through)Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11003

Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11001

The wooden frames with the wire mesh on one side and fly net mesh on the other you put inside the window frame (below)
Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11008

Mike cut a piece out of the wooden frame at the bottom to allow the window's to be opened and shut he made sure that when the window was opened and the wooden frame put in place that the fly mesh still covered the opening (below) Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11011

The wooden frames are kept in place on our's with metal thumbturns, we have 4 on altogether 2 at each side. (below)
Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11009

Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11010

We also have an air cooling unit in the boarding shed so Mike cut a panal of wood to fit the window and cut out a square in the middle and attached an air vent (below)
Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11004

Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11005

This enables us to attach the pipe from the air cooling unit to the outside vent so the air goes straight out (below)
Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11006

Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11007

We also have an air cooling unit in the garage for the rescue buns and Mike is going to do the same thing in the top window as he has on the boarding shed eventually and put an air vent in, but for now we just hang it out of the window and we have a fly screen covering the window inside. (below)
Making windows in a shed fly proof. 5-7-11014

Hope this has given you some ideas Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Making windows in a shed fly proof. Empty Re: Making windows in a shed fly proof.

Post by NSD Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 am

Um. Oh. Wow. This is just amazing.

Mike is obviously very handy. Everything looks like it fits perfectly, it looks like a professional job!

It looks absolutely amazing and spacious. I'm very impressed with the airconditioning in particular - I'm always aware if I move the buns outside I would need to buy one for them, and since they're so expensive I've used it as a justification to keep them inside.

You have certainly put my set-up to shame! I love the combination of strong wires and flywire. Well done!
NSD
NSD
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Making windows in a shed fly proof. Empty Re: Making windows in a shed fly proof.

Post by SarahJane Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 am

That is brilliant!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 pm

This is brilliant. Unfortunately my hubbie is useless at DIY.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Thats fantastic Very Happy

I wish you were closer Sad I want my buns to come have a holiday with you whenever im away! How long do you think it would take to get them from Cleveland (Saltburn) to your place?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:22 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:Thats fantastic Very Happy

I wish you were closer Sad I want my buns to come have a holiday with you whenever im away! How long do you think it would take to get them from Cleveland (Saltburn) to your place?

About an hour, our vet's are in Fulwell, Sunderland Smile

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:10 pm

hmmm, im not sure if it would be close enough. Maybe when i can actually drive and dont have to rely on the folks!! Rolling Eyes
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Would you mind if I moved this to the housing section and made it a sticky thread?
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Wow wow wow.

Goodness I wish you lived near me, Daisy would love a holiday at Chez Dolittle.

You both go so above and beyond. Those buns are very very lucky!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Sooz wrote:Would you mind if I moved this to the housing section and made it a sticky thread?

No not at all I did the thread to give people an idea on how to fly proof their windows so feel free to move it Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by TeddieBaby Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Amazing shed!!!

TeddieBaby
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:21 pm

This is literally the best set up I think I have ever seen x
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Iluvbunnys! Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Thank you so much!

Iluvbunnys!
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:50 pm

I am unable to view the photos.. I guess because the age of the post, the photos have now been removed. So I have a question, does anyone know the best way to attach fly mesh to a wooden frame. Is it best stapled etc.. I would like to fly proof my run and hutch before summer and I've seen thin fly mesh on rolls... but how do you attach it to existing hutch weld mesh etc.. Thank You
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah looks like the pictures have been deleted. I've never done it myself but I guess I would be inclined to staple.

Perhaps others have other ideas tho Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I thought staple... but all ideas or tried and tested methods welcome! I might request a small sample of the mesh before purchasing to see what its like to the touch and see what may work.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:04 pm

I'm sorry there are no photo's it's because I went over my limit with photo space on photobucket and deleted a lot of photos
I must have forgot about these ones staying put Sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:54 pm

no problem Tuckerbunnies... Very Happy do you remember how the fly mesh was attached to the wood?
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Mine is in a wooden frame, but I don't have it on my run (its a good idea though) I do have it on the window of my bunny shed though.

I don't think you can ever keep flies out 100% but so long as sebasitan is healthy and his litter tray is changed every day, while there is always a risk, its reasonably smallish. The problem comes when they get dirty bums or a messy hutch.

You will find that Nethies are very nosy, so will want to see what is going on on the other side of the run! lol
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks KatieB... We will always make sure his accommodation is fresh and dry and that his bottom is in good health lol! I guess as a new, first time rabbit owner I am overly anxious about everything at the moment.
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Its not restricted to new bunny owners....Im a proper paranoid android when it comes to my bunnies! There is nothing wrong with being over cautious (although I think my bunnies would refer to me being a pain in the behind) lol!

Honestly, I think you are already doing an amazing job. Sebastian is a very lucky boy... although being a nethie, probably won't ever thank you for it. haha
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:58 pm

I can't wait to see some of the antics our nethie gets upto! At the moment, he is a very curious, friendly, lovely boy.... early days!!!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down