Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal?

+4
lizzi_b
KatieB
SarahJane
marleyNfriends
8 posters

Go down

Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal? Empty Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal?

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Just wondering what is abnormal behaviour in rabbits? I have to wirte about it for part of my assignment.

Ive thought about when they destroy your prized possessions - though its undesirable, its not abnormal. Rabbits dig/shred/chew, it comes naturally to them and if they arent stimulated, what do we expect? Although, I know somebuns do have a passion for redecorating, regardless of how many things they have to occupy them.

Then I thought about when they are ill, but again, though it isnt normal behaviour for a healthy rabbit, its not abnormal, is it? Hmmm Any advice would be much apreciated Wave

ETA: Forgot to add, that this is abnormal behaviour in the domestic rabbit. I have to then give reasons for these behaviours and compare them to that of their wild cousins.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal? Empty Re: Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal?

Post by SarahJane Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Maybe look at the behaviour traits of wild buns and then explain how this is demonstrated in domestic buns, like you have in your original post.

Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:22 pm

SarahJane wrote:Maybe look at the behaviour traits of wild buns and then explain how this is demonstrated in domestic buns, like you have in your original post.

Smile

I have done this, but I have to write about 5 specific abnormal behaviours to get a distinction. I would like to put my coursework on here when its done, but i dont think im really allowed. Laughing
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I am reading "why does my rabbit" at the moment - It uses a lot of comarisons between the wildies and domestic buns, if you could rent a copy from the library I think it would really help you! x Id offer to lend you my copy but Ive downloaded it to my kindle so I dont have a real copy, x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by lizzi_b Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:30 pm

how about litter training? is that abnormal compared to wild rabbits? because lets face it wild ones just poo all over the place without a care in the world!! and people look at you so weird when you say you can litter train a rabbit!!! Laughing
lizzi_b
lizzi_b
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Are you asking about behaviours that buns learn because they are domesticated or behaviours that are not normal in the domestic bunny. If it is the latter then abnormal behaviour includes sitting quietly and hiding which is what they do when unwell.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Maybe you could contact the Rabbit Behaviour Advisory Group, if you tell them it is part of your assignment I am sure they would be willing to offer some insight: http://www.rabbitbehaviour.co.uk/
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Sooz wrote:Maybe you could contact the Rabbit Behaviour Advisory Group, if you tell them it is part of your assignment I am sure they would be willing to offer some insight: http://www.rabbitbehaviour.co.uk/

I think that's a great idea, Anne is a member of the group, and I'm sure she'd help although time is limited at the mo.

It's a tricky toppic, because some behaviours would only be seen because the rabbit is a pet rabbit, but that doesn't mean that wild rabbits don't do them, just that they may not have the same stimulus/need to.

Other suggestions: although this isn't a 'natural' behaviour, but domestic buns can be trained to do tricks and come when called etc.

Coming up to owners for nose rubs and attention - would only happen in the wld with each other - demonstrating that the need for this attention is inherrant, whoever/whatever is the the source of it.

Learning how to use food orientated toys - again, something a wildie wouldn't need to do, but probably could if it were in that environment.

Domestic rabbits use their 'I'm in danger help me' signals and postures less than wild ones, so are more relaxed, provided that is that they are kept in an environment that they feel safe in.

it may be worth talking to a breeder about aspects of kit care that differ in wild & domestic buns., for eg. In the wild, mums build a 2' long downsloping tunnel to the nesting area so that when she's fed the kits, she can leave, and if any of them are attatched to her nipples, they'll fall off and roll back into the nesting area. AFAIK, this is not something that is in created for domestic buns, generally.

Jay
Jay
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11365
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://www.hoppingmad.org

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Katieb wrote:I am reading "why does my rabbit" at the moment - It uses a lot of comarisons between the wildies and domestic buns, if you could rent a copy from the library I think it would really help you! x Id offer to lend you my copy but Ive downloaded it to my kindle so I dont have a real copy, x

I have a copy that I found in the college library, its been really useful. Ive had a browse through it, but havent had the time to really read it properly. I will at some point though, because its fab Very Happy

...I think I stripped the college library of all their bunny books! Laughing The Rabbit Lopaedia (sp?) isnt very good in general though IMO. Anyone else think this?

I had thought about what Cheryl Bruce n Flo and LizzieBlackwell (sorry if ive got the names totally wrong!) have said too.

Thank you Jay and the other person who mentioned the rabbit behaviour thing. Ill be sure to have a look over the next few days. My brain is fried at the moment, so Im not even going to attempt to suss rabbits out tonight. Laughing Ill definitley keep checking back on this thread though, so anyones thoughts, ideas and opinions are very much welcomed and apreciated. Smile Wave Thank you. xx
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Bunny Behaviour - whats abnormal? Empty abnormal behavoiur in rabbits

Post by amcb Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am

Hi

a quick reply to your query.

Wild rabbits do not live in the same environments as domestic rabbits and as a consequence are not subjected to the conditions that cause 'anormal' behaviours. So you are right chewing for example is normal behaviour, but a wild rabbit would tend to exercise it on feeding! In domesti rabbits it may be through boredom (frustration) and / or teeth problems... lack of proper diet or genetic abnormalities.

Likewise problem behaviours such as aggression between rabbits is normal, but often intensified to an "abnormal" level in domestic rabbits simply because they have nowhere to go... so one rabbit cannot move on and make its home elsewhere with other rabbits who it finds more compatible.

so ultimately the problems we see in rabbits are either down to keeping them in inadequate conditions and/or genetic features such as small heads and bodies, abnormal shaped heads (think of breeds with flattened faces, lop ears).

Suggest in your project you might want to concentrate on the differences caused by the process of domesticaton (genetic) and how we keep them and how these things relate to behaviours we consider to be 'abnormal' or 'undesirable'.

thanks to the respondent who suggested reading why does my rabbit... glad you found it useful. You may also want to have a look at Rabbits and Hares which gives more info on what wild rabbits do.

hope this helps

anne mcbride

amcb
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down