Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Hutch

+12
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
Velvet.Tears
Vince the bunny
marleyNfriends
dizzylynn
fall3n-ang3l
Kate7590
Josie
Thumper2001
Jay
Daniel
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Hutch - Page 1 Empty Re: New Hutch

Post by dizzylynn Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Your saying sheds wont last 15 years, but rabbits only live mostly 8 years max, however if its well maintained and checked regularly it can last a long time, mines is 6 years old and only this last year its been bad (hubbys fault he didnt maintain it) my charlie is in a play hut, which has been lined for extra insulation, and has had a level added inside to give extra floor space, all I have to do is sort a cosey box for the winter so can fill it with hay to keep him warm incase we get really bad weather.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3191
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:18 pm

dizzylynn wrote:Can I add something, not being nasty, just thought might be worth saying (bet someone else said it and I just didnt read right) its only really big enough for one. Also have you added ventilation holes etc. It could be worth adding a level so you can put hides under them and gives him a ramp to add more floor space. The beading aswell might be an issue bunnies would probs eat it.
I will say it looks fab, well made and sturdy just little changes to your over all design and you will have supper quility hutch.

I do plan on having a level in there with a tunnel thing under, your telling me that at 9ft long hutch is only bigger enough for one rabbit yet RWAF say that a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft is okay for two rabbits? The beading is there to stop the rabbits eating the floor which is what the MMC and RWAF advised me to do.

dizzylynn wrote:Your saying sheds wont last 15 years, but rabbits only live mostly 8 years max, however if its well maintained and checked regularly it can last a long time, mines is 6 years old and only this last year its been bad (hubbys fault he didnt maintain it) my charlie is in a play hut, which has been lined for extra insulation, and has had a level added inside to give extra floor space, all I have to do is sort a cosey box for the winter so can fill it with hay to keep him warm incase we get really bad weather.

I'm staying sheds are not built to last 15 years doesn't mean they can not with the right care. I've been informed that rabbits can live for 12 years. What is wrong with building a hutch that can last more than one rabbits life? Isn't that better value?

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-10-28

http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:19 pm

fall3n-ang3l wrote:ive seen your hutch on another forum,its very good,was going to ask if you was a joiner,my hubbie is a joiner by trade,hes worked his way up and is now a site manager,hubbie also altered my cage,weather permitting,hes going to be altering it tom' cant wait

Yes i'm a Joiner and Carpenter by trade.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I must admit ive not known them to last past 9 years, never seen any information stating 12 years.
Can I say you seem very aggressive to our opinions. We are not being nasty or personal but you seem to be reacting like we are offending you.
Also its not only about the housing you build them its about the care you give them and the outer run is another job in itself.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm

dizzylynn wrote:I must admit ive not known them to last past 9 years, never seen any information stating 12 years.
Can I say you seem very aggressive to our opinions. We are not being nasty or personal but you seem to be reacting like we are offending you.
Also its not only about the housing you build them its about the care you give them and the outer run is another job in itself.
I do apologize if it comes across that way but I do not see where I’ve been aggressive.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm

It could be the way I am reading it, its hard to tell when your typing or reading online isnt it. I would deffo do some test runs, offer a discount to 1st buyer if they are willing to keep you posted on the hutch, if something turns out not to be suitable in the long run or maybe slight change. things that could be changed to the over all design, or if folks have a preference offer them the choise of custom measurements layout. also access to runs when your not about to let them out, like a cat flap drawn into the design, then an outer run thats enclosed and sturdy. just some thoughts
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Jay wrote:Brilliant, thank-you. I'm so impressed, and I'm sure it'll be helpful to others.
Re: vinyl floor, it was really just an aside, and just sharing my experience. I've been to behaviour consultations where the rabbit won't leave the rug in the mmiddle of the room., because the rug is on a slippy floor. Put carpet down, and rabbit suddenly hops around. But you can't please everyone, as you say and it wasn't meant as a criticism, but you may find that some buns don't like it, was all I meant to say.

Thanks for posting this, what lucky rabbits!

I know exactly what your saying, Jay. It does depend on the type of vinyl floor though. Marley is one of those buns who refuse to move off a mat of fleece if the floor is smooth. He hated the cheap vinyl tiles i bought originally but now they have a textured vinyl floor and hes much happier. ... its a lot more "cushiony" too. Smile

I love the hutch, its fantastic. Have you ever built a playhouse? Id be interested to see more of your work Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 pm

dizzylynn wrote:I must admit ive not known them to last past 9 years, never seen any information stating 12 years.
I've had my little lady 10 1/2 years and she was a stray so she must be nearer 11 than 10.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I think it is a lovely hutch and plenty big enough for 2 rabbits or with a run attached 3 dwarf buns Smile
I love building stuff for my buns, I've been making avairies, no where near the standard of your hutch though Laughing I have been thinking of doing a carpentry course just for personal achievement as I really enjoy making things. If someone doesn't like your design, they won't buy it, if they do, they will. I like it Very Happy
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 pm

I think the hutch looks great in principle Daniel - it is always hard to get the complete idea from a photo. I guess my critical feedback would be that it seems quite low to the ground (it may just be the way it looks in the photo) I would be wanting to get my buns as far off the ground as posible overnight - but a shelf would do this. I also wonder about light levels - I know rabbits are burrow dwellers but in my experience they like a nice bit of sunlight as much as the next animal, and owners like to be able to see their buns. Not to mention the need to hang water bottles on the wire sections which also block the light coming in. The other thing that I wonder about is attaching a run. Have you made a run for it? (the RWAF recommendation is a 6ft hutch plus a 8ftx4ft run minimum) The buns will want some outside time and having some flexibility in when they can take this time seems to suit them best. I am simply wondering how you intend to attach a run to the hutch (I have been thinking with the rise of the runaround system that it would be good if you could order hutches with a tube door/fitting already fitted).

However it has much to be positive about as well. It looks really sturdy and well made. I like the lino - I have always lined my hutches but I used the textured industrial stuff for the rabbits and smooth lino for the g.pigs. Smooth for the pigs as they are messy and even with newspaper lining they need something very wipeable whereas the buns are cleaner and my Flo won't move and inch if she thinks the floor is slippy but won't tolerate newspaper lining to the hutch. And the interior space to the hutch is brilliant.

Do I think it will last 15 years? It depends on whether the inhabitants are chewers! Even in the smoothest interior buns seem to find something to chew that we would never spot. Laughing

BTW I am also really jealous as I cannot saw the smallest piece of wood in a straight line - even with a jigsaw. Doesn't stop me trying though. Very Happy

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 pm

marleyNfriends wrote:
I love the hutch, its fantastic. Have you ever built a playhouse? Id be interested to see more of your work Smile
No I’ve not, the above is my first hutch so a playhouse would be built very similar to the above. Just taller and wider than 3ft and with different style doors.

I do intend on creating pre made products but I have to start somewhere smaller.

Vince the bunny wrote:I think it is a lovely hutch and plenty big enough for 2 rabbits or with a run attached 3 dwarf buns Smile
I love building stuff for my buns, I've been making avairies, no where near the standard of your hutch though Laughing I have been thinking of doing a carpentry course just for personal achievement as I really enjoy making things. If someone doesn't like your design, they won't buy it, if they do, they will. I like it Very Happy

If you enjoy it then why not take a course, you could do basic woodworking which is where you learn about timber and joints.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Vince the bunny Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, I think I will look into this. I would like to build a play house for my kids as I have pinched theirs for a rabbit that came to me in a box.
Vince the bunny
Vince the bunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Can I move in? It looks amazing!
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:07 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:I think the hutch looks great in principle Daniel - it is always hard to get the complete idea from a photo. I guess my critical feedback would be that it seems quite low to the ground (it may just be the way it looks in the photo) I would be wanting to get my buns as far off the ground as posible overnight - but a shelf would do this. I also wonder about light levels - I know rabbits are burrow dwellers but in my experience they like a nice bit of sunlight as much as the next animal, and owners like to be able to see their buns. Not to mention the need to hang water bottles on the wire sections which also block the light coming in. The other thing that I wonder about is attaching a run. Have you made a run for it? (the RWAF recommendation is a 6ft hutch plus a 8ftx4ft run minimum) The buns will want some outside time and having some flexibility in when they can take this time seems to suit them best. I am simply wondering how you intend to attach a run to the hutch (I have been thinking with the rise of the runaround system that it would be good if you could order hutches with a tube door/fitting already fitted).

However it has much to be positive about as well. It looks really sturdy and well made. I like the lino - I have always lined my hutches but I used the textured industrial stuff for the rabbits and smooth lino for the g.pigs. Smooth for the pigs as they are messy and even with newspaper lining they need something very wipeable whereas the buns are cleaner and my Flo won't move and inch if she thinks the floor is slippy but won't tolerate newspaper lining to the hutch. And the interior space to the hutch is brilliant.

Do I think it will last 15 years? It depends on whether the inhabitants are chewers! Even in the smoothest interior buns seem to find something to chew that we would never spot. Laughing

BTW I am also really jealous as I cannot saw the smallest piece of wood in a straight line - even with a jigsaw. Doesn't stop me trying though. Very Happy

It is low to the ground i've gone with my joinery teaching here, i was told that if something is above 13cm form the ground then damp wouldn't be an issue with good airflow. The floor is 17cm of the ground and there is 3.2cm gap all the way around the hutch which gives good airflow to dry out the timber. It was built that way as this hutch is for me but that doesn't mean i can not and will not make the stand taller.

I do intend on making something inside the hutch to hang the water bottle on, yes i've got a run designed just awaiting to build it and it will be attached to the hutch via a tunnel i'll make for it. I can cut the holes in the hutch any time that is not an issue. As for how long will it last for, well the inside is plywood lined so if they chew, can be replaced. The beading can be replaced as it’s to stop rabbits chewing the floor and the buns won’t have access to chew any other timber on the hutch.

It’s a modular design, was designed to be shipped easy in small panels and then joined together to make the hutch but I made the door panels to heavy. But saying that the design does work and it only just needs more funds which I’ve got no more to use to get a design that isn’t so heavy.

After these replies I’m, worried I picked the wrong lino HBWS and I thank you all for your input and feedback as that is what I wanted.
As for sawing in a straight line, you need a guide, that could be one bought from a shop or a piece of timber clamped down to use as a straight edge.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:11 pm

No I am so talented that I can go wonky even then! I believe it is called adding the personal touch. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:26 pm

It's great I can imagine a nice little run attached to it Thumbs Up

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Its a wonderful hutch and at 9ft long I think its any buns dream!

It looks sturdy, safe, weatherproof and long lasting. Its fabulous.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Daniel wrote:
I do apologize if it comes across that way but I do not see where I’ve been aggressive.

Sometimes its hard to get the right tone when typing and sometimes its difficult to get a point across without sounding like you are being off, when its not meant that way at all - Im sure no one meant to sound critical or defensive.

As a forum we pride ourselves on being supportive and helpful and positive.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:43 am

Wow, what a brilliant hutch! Very Happy
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:22 pm

I love the suggestion with the lino, the industial stuff, I might go get some of this myself, at the moment I used a few stick down tiles, but only half of them stayed put, the rest were lifting so another option needs to be found. Mines hasnt chewed YET he however has chewed right through his red log thing that lasted for weeks untouched then distroyed withing a week he must have got bored. I wondered if adding shutters would work instead of covering the windows. Other wise it is a super contruction. well built just making sure the bunnys keep it that way lol
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:31 pm

dizzylynn wrote:I love the suggestion with the lino, the industial stuff, I might go get some of this myself, at the moment I used a few stick down tiles, but only half of them stayed put, the rest were lifting so another option needs to be found. Mines hasnt chewed YET he however has chewed right through his red log thing that lasted for weeks untouched then distroyed withing a week he must have got bored. I wondered if adding shutters would work instead of covering the windows. Other wise it is a super contruction. well built just making sure the bunnys keep it that way lol

They are shutters, the first picture shows the shutters in place which slide in to the doors. The second picture shows you with out the shutters in place. Shutters will only be used when windy, raining and at night maybe, they do need some air holes in before Daisy goes in.

I felt that it’s a better option to have the shutter built in to the doors than over the whole door as that would look ugly to me so I went with the shutters inside the doors.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:39 am

Genius!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzylynn Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 pm

See them now, I'm blind as a bat, do they just slot inplace?? in a groove sort of idea. How will you keep the groove smooth, advice cleaning regularly or something.
dizzylynn
dizzylynn
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Becki Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm

It looks fabulous!! I dont think anyone would have an issue with the lino as all you'd have to do is stick some newspaper/carpet cut-offs etc in there and it'd be more than fine. Most people use some kind of bedding anyway. Where abouts in the country are you? I really think you could be a fantastic asset to the welfare of rabbits Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Becki
Becki
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:08 pm

dizzylynn wrote:See them now, I'm blind as a bat, do they just slot inplace?? in a groove sort of idea. How will you keep the groove smooth, advice cleaning regularly or something.
Yes, they just slide into a slot, the grove is 12mm wide and it allows a 9mm plywood shutter to slide in. To keep clean just wipe or brush out once in a while but as long as you don't over paint it, it should be fine.

Becki wrote:It looks fabulous!! I dont think anyone would have an issue with the lino as all you'd have to do is stick some newspaper/carpet cut-offs etc in there and it'd be more than fine. Most people use some kind of bedding anyway. Where abouts in the country are you? I really think you could be a fantastic asset to the welfare of rabbits Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm based North West England, i just aim to create reliable and long lasting products.

Daniel
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next