Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray?

+2
fluffiebunnie
*Spider*
6 posters

Go down

How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray? Empty How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray?

Post by *Spider* Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 pm

at the moment G&T are in a 12.5ft 6.5ft dog kennel. They love it in there, they have plenty to they always seem to poo and wee in two places which i clean regulary, but also they just poo and wee willy nilly as well.
I've never tried a litter tray, but what should i do.. how to train them etc etc.
Thanks in advice
Love Hets Wink
Xx
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1004
Registration date : 2008-07-04

http://www.myspace.com/hettyrulesuk

Back to top Go down

How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray? Empty Re: How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray?

Post by fluffiebunnie Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Start using a couple of trays and place in the area they normally poop and pee in. Any poops you find outside the trays place into the trays, so they eventually learn tha is where they are meant to go. Put lots of hay in the trays as they like to eat and poop at the same time!

I find that if I put hay down they poop and pee on it as well as eat it (yuk), so just have hay in the litter trays, which gets changed very regularly.
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray? Empty Re: How Can I Train My Rabbits To Use A Litter Tray?

Post by *Spider* Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 pm

But their whole kennel is filled with hay... what shall i fill it up with instead?
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Babybunnies4 Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Do they poo/wee on the hay?

Mine get confused if I put hay on the floor and wee on that, so I have hay only in a rack and a little in the litter tray.
Can you not leave the floor bare or put newspaper down?
Babybunnies4
Babybunnies4
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffiebunnie Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm

*Spider* wrote:But their whole kennel is filled with hay... what shall i fill it up with instead?

What is the floor? I just have plain floors and just newspaper and hay in litter trays.... if you spread hay all over, then it is one GIANT litter tray to the buns. Laughing
fluffiebunnie
fluffiebunnie
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by *Spider* Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Hahaha! AHh right! Yeah that's what i'm doing Laughing
But they've got a haybale to jump on and they don't poo on that.
Will be back soon, taking Spider on his walkies Smile
*Spider*
*Spider*
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Hoppers Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:19 pm

I use barley straw as a substrate and only put hay in their hay racks and one end of the litter trays (in the indoor rabbits I used wood based pellet in the trays or shredded paper and they only have hay in a rack or large bowl).

Really it's about training them that certain substrates are for peeing on and only putting those where you want them to wee but primarily they pick the main spots for the trays for you.
Happy Hoppers
Happy Hoppers
Admin

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-06-14

http://happyhoppers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

BJ and Rosie, and Gabriel and Nia are stars, they always use their litter trays and did so of their own accord.

Herbie and Hollie are not so hot and are not at all house proud Sad I am a big convert to lino on the floor of sheds so cleaning up is at least easy.
Opening the door to their shed is like opening the door to the kid's bedrooms - big mess!
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by buddabun Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:29 am

I found Charlie really easy to train and he subsequently taught Jack and Brian so I am starting from scratch with the Brunei Buns. They are a bit like yours - get the general idea of peeing in the tray but it doesn't stop them from going in other areas.

Neutering is said to have a big effect on litter training and I am still waiting on vet recommendations. Other than that I would suggest what others have done - make sure you use a different substrate for inside the litter tray so they know what texture to pee on Laughing

Good luck!
buddabun
buddabun
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7749
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.cluster-jewellery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down