Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Supreme food - Fibafirst.

4 posters

Go down

The new Supreme food - Fibafirst. Empty The new Supreme food - Fibafirst.

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm

So I went to the shop to see the supreme rep today and get hold of some of the new food. I have purchased sample sized packs of both the rabbit and the guinea. The figures on the box are very impressive-

crude protein 14%
crude fibre 30%
crude oils and fats 3.5%
crude ash 7.5%
calcium 0.8%
phosphorus 0.4%
sodium 0.4%

Ingredients - Timothy hay, alfalfa stalks, wheat flour, soybean flour, ground peas, locust bean meal, alfalfa protein extract, flaked oats, linseed, soya oil, dicalcium phosphate.

Here is the photo to compare to the other foods. I managed to pick up samples of normal selective and excel foods as well for comparison and I have included the supreme vetcare plus digestive health as well.

The new Supreme food - Fibafirst. P1000733

I offered some to the buns. Bruce just gave it a chin. This is not unusual he does the same to the digestive health most of the time. He will eat it but he would prefer you were offering a fenugreek treat really. Flo took it and chomped through a whole stick quite happily. So the food generally gets the thumbs up here. However, it is not as high in fibre as the Vetcare plus digestive health which is 32%. The 2 products smell very different as well. The DH smells a bit like chistmas pudding (although not as strongly as the weight control one we tried a while back) possibly due to alfalfa being the main ingredient and the fennel, chamomile and peppermint in it. The Fibafirst smells more like stuffing but has timothy hay as a main ingredient and no herbs.

The price - approx £10 for 2.5kg. Supreme are recommending you feed 75g per bun per day. So it is not a cheap option by any means. They also recommend hay along side and the rep said the 'monoforage' label is just to distinguish it from muesli foods.

Will I be buying it again? Not for the buns - unless Bruce suddenly decides he loves it. Price wise it is similar to the vetcare plus and it is similar in structure to the VC+ as well however I think the VC+ has the edge as a formula to offer my rabbits because of it's higher fibre and the beneficial herbs. I only give the VC+ as a addition to regular pellets as I feel it is too expensive to give as a main food and both my buns eat hay readily. However I do find it has a dramatic difference to their poo, bulking it right out and I can only assume the FF will do the same.

However for the piggies - we'll see. I have left them some in the hutch. It is the first of this stick type food I have seen for the. At 22% the fibre percentage is much smaller than the rabbits' but it is higher than regular Selective food. It will be a good food to hide amongst their bedding as an enrichment device. If they eat it I will continue to buy it for them. But like the buns it will no be as a lone food.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

The new Supreme food - Fibafirst. Empty Re: The new Supreme food - Fibafirst.

Post by fall3n-ang3l Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:08 pm

when i first saw the pic,i thought wow,that looks really good,the sticks look massive though then i saw the price Laughing i dont think i can afford that No
fall3n-ang3l
fall3n-ang3l
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4317
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 pm

I completely agree - I think the price will be a real sticking point especially considering that they want you to feed approx 75g per bun (30g per kg). By my calculations their £10 box would last my pair 19 days which is just not economical. On weighing my buns pellets the other day I found I only feed them 30g pellets a day and I think the 75g guide is wrong. I do find the buns eat these types of food differently to others - they eat one then wait before having another - they don't wolf them down like the pellets.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Hudad eats something similar to those. I think they are called Wheatabix or something like that. I must see what his poos are like before and after Suspect
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Well Father Jack I can assure you your Hudad will have much better poos for eating high fibre food such as weetabix.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am

Bruce is now eating the Fibafirst with great enthusiasm so I might start getting them it instead of the digestive health.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzy B Bunny Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks. I'm going to go back to the pet shop today and pick up a small box of this and see what my fluffs think. It would be fed alongside regular pellets and obviously hay too though. It would cost almost double to feed this as a staple diet.
Jazzy B Bunny
Jazzy B Bunny
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down