Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

+20
Dotdot
Rachel&Nibbler
JoeyBunsMum
gentl
Sixer
jolovesbunnies
Amelia66
Big Ears
icedancer
Sue_pawz
marleyNfriends
SarahJane
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
paullp
FluffSlave
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
KatieB
fiver
Sparky
24 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone Empty Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Humum had to call him twice for breakfast - he was in the run and she thought he was sitting a bit funny. When he did move, it was obvious he couldn't move his back legs very well at all. Then he finally inched his way up the snakey. Humum rushed in to get Hudad and poor Taffy had no sooner made it into the hutch than he was whipped out again and down to the vets.

Our usual vet was supposed to be in surgery not consulting but as soon as she realised it was one of our lot in she took a look at him Love Love Love

He has EC which has caused partial hind limb paralysis Sad

He also looks painfully thin (he has never carried a spare gram at the best of times) but has only dropped a little weight, although he is now in stasis. Humum thinks he looks so bad as all his gut seems to be hanging downwards instead of padding round him in the normal place.

He is on Panacur, Metaclopramide and syringe feeding. Humum picked him up at half four and the vet said there aren't many people she would have let him go home with to be nursed.

They have built him a little pen in the office and he has had a little wobbly wander round it and Humum thinks she heard him eating a strand of hay.

He needs lots and lots of magic Hopper vibes please, he has pasteurella too and is really very poorly. The next 48 hours are going to be critical.

Last edited by Sparky on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am; edited 6 times in total
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone Empty Re: Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

Post by fiver Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Shocked poor taffy and huparents mega vibes and hugs to all and I pray taffy pulls through quickly Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone Empty Re: Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Oh no.

I am sending soooo many vibes and sooo much love for him.

I know how worried humum and hudad must be so I'm sending a bucket load of love for them both xx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Sparky wrote:

He also looks painfully thin (he has never carried a spare gram at the best of times) but has only dropped a little weight, although he is now in stasis. Humum thinks he looks so bad as all his gut seems to be hanging downwards instead of padding round him in the normal place.

Bruce does this when he has gut issues - he sort of holds his belly to the ground and sticks his bum up. It is quite alarming when you see it for the first time.

Lots of vibes for Taffy. He could not be in better hands. Hugs
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Oh no, poor Taffy! Sad

I am sending him all the vibes I can muster. And hugs to your huparents too, Sparky Hugs

Come on Taffy!
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 pm

He has just had this evening's dose of Metaclopramide and a syringe feed. Humum put him back in his pen and after brief sulk he ate some veggies on his own cheers
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Sending lots and lots of mega-healing vibes for Taffy and hugs for you all, Sparky Hugs
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh no, poor Taffy Sad

I have everything crossed for him. He couldn't be in better hands.

Keep us posted, will be thinking of ya's x
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm

We have been over to see my Sister today in Lancashire and Mike went to see our finantial advisor and when he came back he told me he had a text about Taffy and I couldn't wait to get home to check to see how he was.

Tell your Huparents Sparky that Mike's mobile was playing up and so didn't get the text till in the afternoon and so sorry about that.

We are sending all the Vibes we can muster for Taffy and sending you all lots and lots of Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

You have our house phone number feel free to ring us day or night if you need us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are so many bunnies at the moment with e.cuniculi Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Only just seen this - you know all too well we have dealt with this too, with Domino. He couldnt move his legs and was head jerking, and its very difficult to see. The problem with E.C when it hits suddenly like this is that its a long road, but he has the best person around to help deal with this Love

Please please PM me if you want to chat or need any info etc xxx
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:You have our house phone number feel free to ring us day or night if you need us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Maysie Hugs Hugs Hugs

SarahJane wrote:Please please PM me if you want to chat or need any info etc xxx
Thanks SJ Hugs Hugs Hugs

Although the hu-parents were in bits today at work, they feel better now that he is home where they can keep an eye on him. He seems really bright apart from the wobbly legs and funny shaped tum. His eyes still look like he is living in them and he doesn't seem to be trancing out. He took a syringe feed reasonably well although at one point he did have a good go at escaping No and was getting a little stressed. Humum has told him if he eats for himself he won't need to go through that. She wonders whether the stasis is due to the nerve function to his intestine not working properly, in the same way it is not working properly to his back legs.

He is urine incontinent, poor little guy. What's the best thing to do to keep him clean and stop him getting sore without stressing him too much? He is on vet bed but is a bit damp and smelly round the back end and obviously not feeling up to cleaning himself.

Here's a little bit of video - you can just see how his tum is sort of hanging down and that he is a bit wobbly:

It was very distressing to see the paralysis at first, we can only imagine it must be heartbreaking to see a bun with full-on EC rolling Sad
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Oh no Crying or Very sad poor Taffy. Sending mega mega vibes his way, i really hope he picks up over the next few days and that if gets through it. Thinking of you all x x x x x Hugs i wish i could offer more support. X
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:44 pm

It looks promising to me that Taffy is still using his back legs after a fashion. It seems to me that if he can be maintained then he should be able to regain full use of his legs in time.

Mind you maybe you should help him out Sparky because that Bun in the mirror looks a bit norty and in need of a biffing!
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Helen and Baby Saint are incontinent and we have them on vet bed as it seem's to draw the urine away from the body and keep's them cleaner, plus it can be washed and replaced. We also have bunnies that board with us who have back problems and are incontinent and have very bad urine scald and we use tea bag bedding for them as it draws the urine away from the body to and is nice and soft.
I am forever washing in this house vet bed, head pad covers and mats and bunny fleeces.

Topping up with magic Vibes for Taffy xxxxxx Hugs Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 pm

^
I use vet bed for the pigs for the same reason. I put megazorb underneath. the megazorb collects the urine as normal but the piggies stay dry. Nutmeg's bumblefeet have cleared up a treat since using vet bed.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Just wanted to check how he is and make sure you are ok.

I wish I could help in some way xxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 pm

He's ok, he's had a quiet evening. Humum has heard the odd munch but not enough so he'll be getting Recovery food down his face again in a minute No and then she'll be up again about 2am to check on him.

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:It looks promising to me that Taffy is still using his back legs after a fashion. It seems to me that if he can be maintained then he should be able to regain full use of his legs in time.
Humum thinks the same. She is forcing him to move around a bit, even just by moving him from the covered end of the pen to the open end, so he moves himself back. He is weaker on his right side and needs to be leaning up against something that side most of the time, so she has made sure the vet bed is up against the mesh for him to lean on.

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Mind you maybe you should help him out Sparky because that Bun in the mirror looks a bit norty and in need of a biffing!
The Wardrobe Bunny is evil. I think it was very norty of it to mimic Taffy like that No

Tuckerbunnies wrote:we use tea bag bedding for them as it draws the urine away from the body to and is nice and soft.
Humum will see what she can lay her hands on tomorrow - she just wants to keep him dry and not get sore.

marleyNfriends wrote:i wish i could offer more support. X
Katieb wrote:I wish I could help in some way xxxxx
Having people who care about buns and understand that they are more than 'just a rabbit' is such a huge help in itself Smile
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm

it does look promising and looks like it may be caught in time more vibes and hugs for taffy humum hudad and all you buns Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:37 am

How is he this morning? Sending healing vibes and nose rubs x
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 am

Only just seen this, major vibes for Taffy and Hugs to humum and hudad.

Who does Taffy normally live with? Just wondered if it would help him having one of his friends in a neighbouring pen
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 am

So sorry to be reading this.

I really hope he can get well again. He's lucky to be with hu-parents who know how to care for him properly.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 am

He's been syringe fed every couple of hours. He was a bit more alert / feisty at 8am but Humum is not sure whether that is because he is feeling better or because he is getting fed up of being pulled about, however gently. He is moving around the pen a little bit.

He's passed a (very) few poos with some jelly-like stuff. Hopefully the meds will help sort that out.

Humum just wishes he'd eat on his own. If he is still not eating by Monday he'll have to go into the vets for the day - he can't go 9 hours without being fed Sad

She's worried about his snuffles flaring up too, with his immune system under such pressure.

Carla - Humum decided not to bring Reggie in. She really can't go in with him as he's so immobile and she gets stressed being indoors. Taffy doesn't seem particularly distressed. Reggie is on Panacur too, of course - she takes hers on a shredded wheat.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am

It's probably best Reggie says outside then isn't it, if she's stressed it wouldn't help Taffy.

Poor little guy Crying or Very sad
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

sending millions more vibes and hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 am

Just popped on to see how Taffy is he sounds as if he is a fighter Bless him . It will take a few day's for the panacur to kick in and then you should see a difference
in his movement hopefully.

Topping up the vibes for your boy and sending mega mega 'Nomming' Vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Come on Taffy eat your noms please and you will get stronger"
from all the Tuckerbunnies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next