Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

+20
Dotdot
Rachel&Nibbler
JoeyBunsMum
gentl
Sixer
jolovesbunnies
Amelia66
Big Ears
icedancer
Sue_pawz
marleyNfriends
SarahJane
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
paullp
FluffSlave
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
KatieB
fiver
Sparky
24 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone - Page 3 Empty Re: Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 pm

The duty vet won't let him have the Metacam Sad

She said it's not a recognised treatment for EC, and Humum said it might not be in the books but it is amongst a lot of people and vets who are actually caring for EC buns. She said Humum could bring him in and she'd assess whether he seemed to be in pain, but Humum decided not to put him through that. She knows how well buns hide pain and thinks it might be more discomfort anyway. His posture is so bad that it must be making his back ache. The vet did also say that Metacam could have a bad effect on his GI system so would be a reason not to give it with him being the way he is at the moment.

Taffy is due to see Claire on Tuesday evening - Humum is going to see if she is working tomorrow and move the appointment forward, if Taffy does not end up in there for the day anyway....
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone - Page 3 Empty Re: Taffy has EC - U/D 29/03 - he's gone

Post by Big Ears Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I thought Metacam was prescribed for EC bunnies as an anti-inflammatory rather than as a painkiller? I might be talking rubbish but I *think* it's about potentially relieving nerve impingement Hmmm (nerve something anyway!). The painkiller side of it could well be helpful but it's a secondary benefit. I'm really surprised it's not officially recognised as an essential part of treatment, what a shame you're having to fight for it Sad

I can see what she's saying about Metacam and the GI tract but if it's going to help his mobility then surely it's something that just has to be done? I'm not sure if it's just oral Metacam that potentially affects GI tract, maybe injectable doesn't carry the same risk?

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Sparky wrote:He ate a bowlful of dried herby bits overnight cheers and quite a lot of fresh herbs. He is choosing dill in particular - maybe he knows it is good for tums. Humum needs to go and try to get another nice fresh bunch for him today.

We have some slightly better formed poos cheers

He fought his meds a bit cheers

He's had a syringe of warm water and a couple of mouthfuls of banananana baby food and now he has a mini shredded wheat which he is trying to pretend he is not enjoying Laughing

He seems a bit drier around the back end. Humum hopes that means he is gaining toilet control rather than not getting enough water. He seems to be sitting more comfortably. Humum is about to phone the vet about the Metacam.

He's far from out of the woods, but he's fighting Love

cheers cheers cheers cheers

I said he was a fighter didn't I Sparky Very Happy

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Big Ears wrote:I thought Metacam was prescribed for EC bunnies as an anti-inflammatory rather than as a painkiller? I might be talking rubbish but I *think* it's about potentially relieving nerve impingement Hmmm (nerve something anyway!). The painkiller side of it could well be helpful but it's a secondary benefit. I'm really surprised it's not officially recognised as an essential part of treatment, what a shame you're having to fight for it Sad

I can see what she's saying about Metacam and the GI tract but if it's going to help his mobility then surely it's something that just has to be done? I'm not sure if it's just oral Metacam that potentially affects GI tract, maybe injectable doesn't carry the same risk?
Humum did mention the anti-inflammatory benefit. She just thinks the vet wants to err on the side of caution, which is fair enough. I don't think Metacam is actually licensed for rabbits either (?) although it is widely used. In Humum's view it's about getting him through day by day rather than worrying about his long-term health at the moment.

We didn't even consider an injectable type. Humum is quite happy to do sub-cutaneous injections so that might be an option.

I think she's going to put an email together for our vet and hopefully be able to move forward tomorrow.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:58 pm

I think it's a shame that they don't look on the records and then let taffy carry on with meds and care advised especially as there is obvious evidence that taffy is progressing albeit little by little,
it's great news he is nomming and pooing quite well Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 pm

fiver wrote:I think it's a shame that they don't look on the records and then let taffy carry on with meds and care advised especially as there is obvious evidence that taffy is progressing albeit little by little
It's not a med he has ever been on before, Rob - that's why this vet had to make the decision about whether to give it to him. I don't really blame her for not being comfortable to do so, it's just that my sources of information are different from hers and mine are anecdotal rather than scientific evidence based. If she did give it to him and it did make him very poorly, I wouldn't hold her responsible but I potentially could, if that makes sense.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Sparky wrote:
fiver wrote:I think it's a shame that they don't look on the records and then let taffy carry on with meds and care advised especially as there is obvious evidence that taffy is progressing albeit little by little
It's not a med he has ever been on before, Rob - that's why this vet had to make the decision about whether to give it to him. I don't really blame her for not being comfortable to do so, it's just that my sources of information are different from hers and mine are anecdotal rather than scientific evidence based. If she did give it to him and it did make him very poorly, I wouldn't hold her responsible but I potentially could, if that makes sense.
yes it makes perfect sense, I just thought the vet put taffy on metacam on the last visit,
are there any test going on to try to eradicate e.c. it's such an awful thing x

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Sending Taffy a load more vibes for today - hope he is continuing to fight like the little trooper that he is Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I am sending huge loves and healing vibes. Please let us know hun.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Topping up the magic Vibes for Taffy xxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:34 pm

How is he tonight?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm

He seems comfortable. He is sitting better and occasionally laying with his back legs out to the side (not quite a flop) rather than as hunched as he was. He is eating a little for himself, probably still not really enough but then he's expending very little energy at the moment.

He is still doing some foul poos but that's not surprising considering the terrible diet he is on (i.e. whatever he will agree to eat) and he had done some reasonably formed ones overnight.

He has done a really quiet tooth grind. This was after he had his meds and was being made a fuss of. The hu-parents weren't sure if it was a purr or a grind. It wasn't really loud enough to be a grind, but Humum would be shocked if it was a purr as he can't be very happy and although he is friendly he is quite timid too Hmmm He has been surprisingly good about being handled etc.

When we can get him to take an interest in food, he steams in:

Unfortunately he often just turns away Sad Humum is just being guided by him and not forcing him, just offering different and fresh things all the time. She is hoping to bring his vet appointment forward to tomorrow and hopes that his weight is fairly stable - it's just so difficult to tell while his belly is hanging the way it is and looks so pinched in from above.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

awww taffy sending more mega vibes for you and hugs for all Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Vibes for beautiful Taffy Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Oh goodness, I am so sorry to hear that Taffy has been diagnosed with this.

Am sending masses and masses of vibes to him and have everything crossed that he continues to improve xxx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 am

I just saw this. Mega vibes for Mr. Taffy! I'm glad to see that he is improving. Hugs to the Huparents!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 pm

He's at the vet at 3.40pm this afternoon to see how his weight is and discuss The Metacam Issue Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Will be thinking of ya's!
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

thinking of you all and hope theres some good news Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 pm

More vibes for Taffy Hugs

I hope the vet appointment brings good news.
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Hope it went well love, I am sending lots of cuddles.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Astonishingly he has not lost any weight since Friday Shocked cheers

His poos are shocking, but Clare is just glad that it's all moving through him. She's advised trying the veggie baby foods instead of the fruit ones, but basically keeping him eating is the important thing. He is eating much better for himself now. The nurses at the vet gave him a bum bath. Now he is not quite so delicate Humum will be a bit firmer about keeping his back end clean for him.

He was slightly dehydrated so had some sub-c fluids. Humum has some rehydration powder to put in his water and Hudad is going to pick up a drinking bottle on his way home to see if he will manage that better than a bowl at the moment.

He's still not allowed Metacam, but will be if his poo firms up a bit, which hopefully it will now that he is starting to eat a bit better. Humum is quite a lot happier with that decision now that she has had a chance to discuss it properly. Clare says the biggest threat to him at the moment is not the E.C. but the stasis so getting that sorted out is first priority.

He is much, much more mobile. The bun who could not get over the lip of the carrier on Friday hopped off the scales in the consulting room and took off across the room like a rocket. A slightly ungainly, wobbly rocket built by primary school children perhaps, but a rocket nonetheless. He has about 2" of visible movement in his back legs where before he had almost none Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Our brave little guy is doing really, really well and Humum is ever so proud of him Love Love Love
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

This is just brilliant news I'm so happy to see the update I really am Very Happy

Taffy you are a brave boy and no wonder your Humum is so proud of you, we are all proud of you Taffy 'Well Done'

To your Huparents Hugs Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

wow i'm so excited what great news so far Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
taffy is a very brave boy keep up the hard work taffy Thumbs Up Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love Love
mega vibes and hugs to taffy all the buns and humum/dad Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue_pawz Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Great news!

I've needed some of that today x
Sue_pawz
Sue_pawz
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://www.pawzforthought.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next