Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are going to have to make a tough decision :(

+13
Rachel&Nibbler
Sixer
gentl
Zo
KatieB
Tuckerbunnies
icedancer
Thumper2001
Sparky
FluffSlave
NickieM
fiver
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We are going to have to make a tough decision :( Empty We are going to have to make a tough decision :(

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Why does this have to happen, why did we have to loose our special girl Crying or Very sad Pickle is not doing so well, although he is eating he is not eating as enthusiastically as he should. He looks so depressed sitting in the corner of the run in the rain looking sorry for himself. I think it has hit him now like it has me that she has gone forever and not coming back Crying or Very sad Its only been three days since loosing our special girl, its far too soon for me to welcome another bunny to our home but if it will make Pickle happy then that's what we might have to do.

We phoned cottontails rescue 2 days ago and the lovely Mairwen left a really sweet message and we are going to try and phone her tonight as we have not spoken to her yet. We really don't know what to do Sad Im not really sure if flopsy and lily would accept him, Flopsy is really laidback when bonding with females but I am not sure how pickle and flopsy would react. Flopsy is also very protective over Lily and if somebody goes near her or stroke her then he will dive and grunt. I really don't want to interfere with their bond . It would be brilliant to have all three as a trio though, they could have the whole shed and runs and then we wont have to worry about any bun being lonely for a long time. Flopsy is 6 years old, Lily is nearly 2 and Pickle nearly 2.

Its so very hard, I most certainly do not want another bunny especially not this soon. Pickle and Bella were destined to be together, they had such a close bond only being together 9 months. they had 9 very happy months together. We adopted Pickle from Cottontails in June 2012

Im sorry for the sad photo but this is our dear boy today Sad
We are going to have to make a tough decision :( 8540255352_3361c6d4d0_z

rest in peace precious Bella, you meant the world to us both we would never ever replace you, you were so very special Crying or Very sad
We are going to have to make a tough decision :( 8539155521_8aaeb31099_z
We are going to have to make a tough decision :( 8539160363_d15c904c69_z
We are going to have to make a tough decision :( 8540260780_fd444a1335_z
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 686
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

We are going to have to make a tough decision :( Empty Re: We are going to have to make a tough decision :(

Post by fiver Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 pm

awww poor pickle you can see how much he is missing bella Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs
I can not advise you jack but you have to do what you feel is right Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

We are going to have to make a tough decision :( Empty Re: We are going to have to make a tough decision :(

Post by NickieM Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 pm

He will be feeling very confused as to where his companion has gone. He doesn't understand about death and illness, just that the lovely other bunny who he used to snuggle up to has suddenly disappeared and he misses her.

I hope he finds happiness again. Hugs Hugs Hugs
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Oh, he does look sad Sad

I cannot advise you on what to do next. It is what you feel is right, and what you feel you can deal with Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm

I've posted this story several times, but we were in a very similar situation to you almost 12 months ago.

Jack and Mrs Doyle had been together since they were 8 weeks old and had an incredibly close bond. They had been with us almost two years when Mrs D got poorly. She had had episodes of gut stasis a couple of times, and we all - including the vet - thought this was another of those episodes. We gradually came to realise it was more serious and, between what we were thinking and what Mike and Maysie advised on the phone, got her back to the vets for an emergency x-ray. She had a twisted tummy and very little chance of coming through an op to put it right. We lost her not much more than 24 hours after she first seemed a little off, and it was a horrific shock.

Jack was beside himself with grief.

We felt exactly the same as you, the last thing we wanted was another bun in our lives in the midst of all that shock and grief. Jack has never been a people bun and it very quickly became apparent that that was exactly what Jack needed. Five days after losing Mrs D we took Jack to Tameside Rescue and told Elaine that we weren't even going to look at the buns, but that she was to pop in the pen with him whichever girl she had had for longest, and who had been overlooked.

We ended up with Layla. It's hard to describe how much of a blessing she has been to us. She is the daftest, goofiest, funniest, loveliest bundle of orange fluff you can imagine. There's not a day goes by that she doesn't make us laugh. She is a people bun and has helped Jack get braver and learn to enjoy nose rubs, and being brushed. We will never forget Mrs Doyle, and think of her often and have regrets that perhaps we could have done more for her - that never goes away. But Layla hopped in to that bun-filled space in our hearts just perfectly, and we could not have asked for a nicer bun to join our family. To start with we didn't particularly 'want' her, we got her for Jack. Now, we wouldn't be without her.

Bella knows you never would or could replace her. But perhaps she would like you to pass on all she taught you about bunnies to other buns who have not had the best start in life Hugs Hugs Hugs
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear you lost Bella, Jack. It's heartbreaking and I know your emotions will be all over the place right now Sad

I don't mean this to sound as heartless as it probably will, but you need to put your feelings to one side and do what's right for Pickle.

After Thumper died, I had a big bunny shaped hole in my life but thinking about more bunnies made me feel guilty, almost like I was replacing her, but it wasn't like that at all. No bunny can ever replace another bunny, but you can bring happiness to another lucky bunny, and make Pickle happy again.

You wouldn't want Pickle to be unhappy when its something you can change.Yes, its difficult to think about a new bunny but you aren't replacing Bella, this bunny will be a bunny that needs someone to rescue her, and I'm sure Bella would be proud of you.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:54 pm

I agree with Sparky and Thumper, some times you have to think of the bunny and ignore your feelings a bit. It's a bit like if you have to take them to the vet, they don't want to go and you feel sorry for them, but you have to do it.

Florence I've had since she was a baby. She's my sole bunny. If something happened to her I'd be distraught, but if Dougal was unhappy I'd have to act, and if that meant him getting a new friend then that would be what I'd have to do. As sad as it is, it means that you are able to help another bunny in need.

You wouldn't be replacing Bella, not at all, a new friend would be for Pickle and it would be an additional bunny in your heart not a replacement.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4732
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh looking at Pickle has made me cry as he is really grieving and to be honest Jack I think he needs somebun soon. I know it may be early for you and I know you may think you are replacing Bella but you are not there is no other bun ever that could replace Bella but Pickle is alone now and needs the comfort I think of another bunny.

Poor Pickle he is a sad bunny Crying or Very sad

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Just found this Picture from when Bella came home from her bloods, xrays and dental back in October when she was diagnosed with heart disease. oh Bella I love you so very very much Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We are going to have to make a tough decision :( 8539527131_2cc5234d3b
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm

oh jack Sad Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I know how you feel Jack as I'm hurting to Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Jack, no one is denying or arguing that you don't love Bella. You will always love Bella, but this isn't about you this is about Pickle. Pickle is lonely and Pickle is sad. If he'd always been a lone bunny and had never had a friend then there wouldn't be an issue, but he's had a wonderful friend who he adored and now he's missing that. It would be like you living and being with your best friend 24/7 and them suddenly disappearing, it would hurt, and I know I was married to my best friend and the hole he left when he left is massive.

Rabbits can get depressed if they suddenly lose a friend, Maysies Kenzo did, so you have to really think about Pickle. Forget your feelings, as harsh as that sounds, and think about him. Pickle does not understand what's happened, all he knows is Bella has gone, and he is upset. He needs a new friend, whether that is a brand new friend, or if you try and bond him in with your other pair. But please you need to do something for his sake.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I agree with above Sparky, and I'm sending you hugs.

You could never replace Bella, but she taught you so much, that you could make something positive come of her loss by offering a needy bun a very special home. It wouldn't be Bella, but a different personality that would bring something new.

You have so much to offer, and I think Bella would be very proud.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 pm

I agree too jack with Carla and Katie he needs somebun you could never replace or stop loving bella:hugs: Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Ideally It would be best to wait until Bella is home , john said that should be a week monday. I think it might be to long for Pickle though Crying or Very sad This is so hard. I really do not want another rabbit, I want my Bella and that is that. Crying or Very sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I wish I could do something jack but am powerless Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by icedancer Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm

BellaPickleFlopsyLily wrote:Ideally It would be best to wait until Bella is home , john said that should be a week monday. I think it might be to long for Pickle though Crying or Very sad This is so hard. I really do not want another rabbit, I want my Bella and that is that. Crying or Very sad

Sadly that can't happen, and we all wish it could for many of our past pets.

Seriously you can't leave Pickle on his own for that long, look at him. If you really don't want another bunny then try and bond him with your other pair over the weekend. The important thing here is you may not want another bunny but Pickle wants another friend.
icedancer
icedancer
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Hugs Hugs Hugs

Things will feel easier in time Jack, you will always miss her but thing will get easier. Xxxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:44 pm

I have to agree with what others have said.

We are all absolutely heartbroken for you that you have lost Bella. No one will quite understand the bond you two had, but we all understand how much you are hurting as we have all been there. And that's the thing, Jack. You and Bella had your own special, unique bond - there is no denying that. No other bunny could build the same relationship or fill the same space that Bella has left, and she knows that as much as anyone else.

I am so sorry for your loss, but I think at the moment, no matter how much you are hurting, you really need to think about Pickle. He is hurting, too. And he can't understand it like us. He needs company, Jack Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm really sorry that you lost Bella, Jack, we all know how much you loved her. But I think for Pickles sake you need to get him a friend, I know you don't want to replace her- and you wouldn't be. Pickle's depression is testament to what an amazing bunny Bella was, but he desperately needs a friend.

I know it's hard but you have to put Pickle's health and wellbeing before your own feelings.

Hector decided he would like to give his own advice here, he's not quite got to grips with the keyboard yet:

k=]0--------------------------------m,][[[[[[[[[[gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggv'./`
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm

So much wise words on this thread, Jack. (Even from Hector Wink ) Please take it all on board Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaPickleFlopsyLily Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 pm

thank you , I have taken them on board. I am just not grieving well at the moment. I still dont quite believe she has gone. I wish I could cry and cry but today I feel so emotionless just hurting very badly Crying or Very sad
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
BellaPickleFlopsyLily
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

When my beautiful Holly went, I didn't want another bun, but Wolfie was so sad without her, just like your Pickle is now. He was lonely because he had had company for cuddles and snuggles and then she was gone.

I chose Gloria for him and to begin with he wasn't too keen - and neither was she - but they got together and he was so happy with her and her with him. They were the most fantastic due and always up to mischief.

It took me a while to warm to her as I always say her as a bit of an interloper and was annoyed that she didn't like him when she was the new bun. But after a little while, I realised that she had a totally different personality to Holly and I just needed to get to know her and accept her as a completely different bun. Not a replacement for Holly, but as a person in her own right. Once that happened things were fine.

You can't be expected to replace Bella as you would never want to, but you can learn to accept and love another bunny and enjoy seeing Pickle happy with company too.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm

You're no doubt in shock, Jack. There's no right or wrong way to grieve Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 pm

BellaPickleFlopsyLily wrote:thank you , I have taken them on board. I am just not grieving well at the moment. I still dont quite believe she has gone. I wish I could cry and cry but today I feel so emotionless just hurting very badly Crying or Very sad

Hugs Hugs Hugs
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next