Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Jack please

+7
Father Jack
BugsBunny
jolovesbunnies
KatieB
Amelia66
Tuckerbunnies
Sparky
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vibes for Jack please Empty Vibes for Jack please

Post by Sparky Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 am

My Daddy is poorly Crying or Very sad 

He was a bit quiet last night and didn't want his treats, then this morning he didn't come for breakfast and looked miserable so was whipped straight to the vet. He is in GI stasis with no gut sounds at all and the vet saw some spurs on his teeth so he is booked in for a dental on Tuesday once they have his tummy working a bit better.

He's had injections of Metaclopramide, Baytril and Loxicom (Metacam) and has more of each to have orally over the next couple of days. He took quite a bit of recovery food once he was home and the meds had had half an hour to kick in, so he's definitely a hungry boy.

They have penned him off from Layla The Poop-Machine so they can tell as soon as he passes any poos, and he has a bowl of nuggies, one of recovery food, a nice fresh salad forage from the garden and several types of hay to choose from. He'll be getting more recovery food at about 1pm, although he does seem to quite like it and the vet gave them one of the proper syringes which makes it much easier.

Please can my Daddy have lots and lots of vibes, we all know how serious stasis can be and although he looks a tiny bit brighter now he is still very poorly. We all need him to be well.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Jack please Empty Re: Vibes for Jack please

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm

Oh dear Jack Sad 

Sending all the magic eating and get well Vibes I can muster for you Jack, please get better
sweetheart as I know your Mummy and Daddy will be so worried about you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Come on Jack make us all happy'!

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:41 pm

ooodle of vibes for father jack!

i hope the dental sorts the problem, poor little fluff Hugs Hugs
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Stasis is so scary. Sending loads of vibes for Jack and hugs to you all - today is going to be a lonnnnggg day.

Poor little chap. I really hope that his tummy starts turning over soon xxxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 pm

He's not eaten anything himself so he's just had some more recovery although he wasn't so keen this time. Humum did hear one tiny gurgle from his tummy so she's now praying for poop. Please god that it's not a blockage like Mummy Crying or Very sad
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Sparky wrote:He's not eaten anything himself so he's just had some more recovery although he wasn't so keen this time. Humum did hear one tiny gurgle from his tummy so she's now praying for poop. Please god that it's not a blockage like Mummy Crying or Very sad

Have you tried a little pineapple juice in with the recovery.

Oh I hope to God it's not a blockage I really do , fingers and paws crossed for him here

Keep us posted Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:02 pm

The poor little love. I suffer with my tummy so I know what he is going through. Sending lots and lots of love and noserubs to.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs  tons of vibes for special jack. I really dohope he picks up soon, keep us posted Hun. Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Can somebun tell Layla to leave me alone? She keeps trying to break in Rolling Eyes 

I've had a poop and I've eaten some herbs. I didn't feel that hungry until hudad put a hoooooooge piece of basil in for me Very Happy 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Yay for Poo!

I find sometimes making the recovery with warm water makes quite a difference with Bruce. I also find that it seems to be the getting everything going again that scares Bruce. The initial contractions must be painful: once I have got one or 2 feeds of recovery in he starts eating on his own.

On the upside you get to have lots of yummy metacam for a couple of days.

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Please get well and nom up Father Jack! You've got the hoooooge Wood Warren depending on you! (And we know that you are the only one Sparky may listen to!) I hope you get all the basil you want! Nose rubs! We are all depending on you!Hugs Hugs Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Yay for Poo!

I find sometimes making the recovery with warm water makes quite a difference with Bruce. I also find that it seems to be the getting everything going again that scares Bruce. The initial contractions must be painful: once I have got one or 2 feeds of recovery in he starts eating on his own.

On the upside you get to have lots of yummy metacam for a couple of days.

It was only one poop, you should have heard the fuss they made Rolling Eyes

Humum did make the Recovery food up warm but he's quite headshy and not keen on things in his mouth. She has some pineapple juice to try mixing with it for his next feed (thanks Maysie). And she has watched a couple of YouTube videos on technique although she's not sure she's all that keen on what she has seen. He's had a second dose of Metaclop, which Taffy loved, but Jack doesn't like the whole mouth / syringe thing so we're not sure if he is going to be any more keen on the Metacam. If he agrees to eat them, he can have his meds in mini shredded wheat.

They have to give him Baytril in the morning *gulp* pale
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Use the sneaky option for the baytril and put something nommy in in front of it.

Bruce loves Metacam so you just hold out the syringe and he laps it as you gently squeeze it out and then will shove his tongue up the end trying to get every last bit. Flo is not so keen. I think it is about trying a lot of different techniques until you find one that suits Jack. Very much not textbook but the way that suits Flo is for me to hold her with her back end balanced in the crook of my elbow and balanced by my hip area and then the hand of my same arm supports her front leg area. I the offer the syringe and she wiggles her head around a lot until in anger she will grab the syringe with her mouth and then I squirt in a little bit. We repeat this until the job is done. As I said it is not textbook keeping the bun flat but she seems to engage in the game this way and so she is less stressed. If you put her on the flat and attempted to restrain her around the shoulders she would just go nuts. And the burrito is very much a last resort.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 pm

We find sometimes with Kenzo he stops eating and then goes into stasis, we give him a little pineapple with his CC and he usually does a few huge poo's everywhere and is better after that.

Glad to hear Jack has done a poo only another bunny person would understand the excitement of a poop and one poop is better than no poop at all Very Happy 

'Keep eating and pooping Jack'! xxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:45 pm

He is so much brighter than 12 hours ago Very Happy 

Jack this morning: 'I feel horrid':

Vibes for Jack please IMG_4288_zps8e08afb3

'Leave me alone Sad '

Vibes for Jack please IMG_4296_zps9641400e

He has eaten some green oat hay, most of his afternoon veg, a few pellets and his forage from this morning:

Vibes for Jack please IMG_4301_zpsd57144fb

and he begged for a mini shredded wheat although he's only eaten half of it.

There are a dozen or so poops in the litter tray. A couple of them are two poops with a string of fur in between, so Humum is not convinced it's all to do with his teeth although the fact that the vet could see spurs when he was conscious means they probably want doing anyway. We're wondering if it's been fur that has slowed his gut down just enough to cause a problem, but hopefully we've caught it before it compacted into a complete blockage. Or if his teeth have been sore perhaps he has not eaten as much hay / fibre as usual which would have kept the fur moving along....

He has pineapple juice in a bowl in his pen but he's not taken an interest. (Layla has had some too and loves it. I have some and will try it when nobody is looking.) He's due another dose of Metaclop at 10pm so they'll give him that and syringe some pineapple juice into him to make sure he stays hydrated.
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Am am convinced with Bruce that his mouth gets a little uncomfortable with his teeth so he reduces how much he eats then his stomach becomes uncomfortable with the reduced food passing through (he often has small stringy poos a the night before he goes into full sulk) and then he won't eat at all because it all hurts. And that is when he isn't moulting. Bruce also occasionally seems to shock himself into stasis, but I never really know what gave him such a shock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Humum has been trying to think if she should have picked up on any signs earlier, but can't really pinpoint anything. He was a bit skitty last night, did not want to come back in after being outside and then Layla humped him Rolling Eyes which is fairly unusual. He didn't go mad for tea last night but did eat some pellets, but then some of the other buns have been less bothered while it has been so hot. Last night it was a case of he was not quite right but needed keeping an eye on, this morning it was very evident that he was poorly and needed intervention. I suppose because he is generally such a healthy little chap too, they're not on the lookout for signs of problems so much. Humum is quite surprised he needs a dental as he is three, has never had any tooth problems before and always ate loads of hay. She's going to cut their pellets down even more once he is stable again.

How old was Bruce when he first needed dentals?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 pm

He has been really erratic all his life, but now I think of it I think he only had one dental before Flo came to live with us when he was three. And then some years he has gone almost 12 months between dentals and others he has been every 3 months. This year has been a record breaker as he has already had at east 3 dentals (see I am losing count now). I am concerned he may be brewing for another as he occasionally seems to be dribbling, but that may be that he is quaffing his water as I can't pin it down to meal times. And as well as being inconsistent in pattern he is also inconsistent in warning signs. So he may dribble or he may have stringy poos or I may just get a instinctive feeling that something is up without any real proof, but for much of his life he has given no warning at all and the first I have known of any problems is when I come down in the morning and he is sulking and refusing veg/herbs. So don't feel that you have missed something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 am

Our Gypsy has always been a good hay eater and yet he started with back molar spurs in 2011 at 7 years of age. When he starts with them his mouth becomes saturated, in fact he had even packed his gum area with loads of hay to stop the spur rubbing on his cheek the first dental he had and our vet was amazed that he had done that , Bless him.

Honor our vet said as they get older they can start with dental problems .

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:14 am

cheers  for poos! Good job Father Jack! I think once he tastes the pineapple juice it will be love at first gulp.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:48 am

Sparky wrote: We're wondering if it's been fur that has slowed his gut down just enough to cause a problem, but hopefully we've caught it before it compacted into a complete blockage. Or if his teeth have been sore perhaps he has not eaten as much hay / fibre as usual which would have kept the fur moving along....

This is the version I've been told by my vet many times re blockages that it's the slow down that potentially causes the blockage, so if he's unlucky enough have fur travelling through his digestive system and he doesn't feel able to eat much because his mouth hurts...  It does still sound very much dental to me too. The fact that he was begging for a Shreddie and then didn't eat it all also sounds like 'sore mouth'.

Glad he's feeling a bit better, poor boy.  It's a bit of a shock when they need a dental but have not needed one before.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:28 am

Baytril - YUKKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baytril with Apple - Slightly yukky.
Metaclop - Slightly nice.
Loxicom - Scrummy Very Happy 
Father Jack
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:35 am

Jack semi-binkied out to met Humum with breakfast this morning Happy Dance and then ate his share of the pellets no problem.

He wasn't so keen on her after having three lots of meds one after the other though Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:38 am

I find once everything is moving well Bruce just requires a small dose of metacam to keep everything moving and his appetite good until dental.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 pm

oh YAY!

Go Father Jack... a Binky is a brilliant sign....Keep it up til gorgeous boy!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next