Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Breed Is He?

+5
Tuckerbunnies
Velvet.Tears
Sparky
KatieB
MrJackRabbit
9 posters

Go down

What Breed Is He? Empty What Breed Is He?

Post by MrJackRabbit Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Sorry if this is in completely the wrong section! I had a look and it seemed the most appropriate place.

So a buck we rescued 2 days ago from a dinner table is raising some eyebrows among members of the rabbit community outside of this forum.
He is a cross breed of some kind but we can't figure out what!

Jack's 4 months old and medium-large size (haven't weighed him yet but he's bigger than my sisters rabbits). He's white with grey tickling along his snout and ears and has blue eyes. He has a long pointed face, huge ears, a long tail, huge hind feet and long slender legs and body.

I've had two very different suggestions thrown my way, some feel he has the features of a Belgium hare, some think American hare... others feel strongly that he has some giant in him but that his cross breeding has diluted his size.

There is also a suggestion of English lop (with un-lopped ears) mixed in due to his face shape, the female we rescued him with is an English/German lop cross who's ears lop normally and could be his sibling though we don't know for sure.

Can anyone help please!

***Please note the cage he is in is temporary due to him being unexpected! We will be building him a home as soon as we can determine a rough breed and get an idea of how big he's going to be. A fleece bedding is being obtained for the floor during his stay in the cage***
What Breed Is He? 1236394_10201635104386863_1572193683_n

What Breed Is He? 1017021_10201633759633245_527006173_n

What Breed Is He? 1170671_10201633756113157_485565272_n

What Breed Is He? 1011517_10201633756073156_785128669_n

What Breed Is He? 1237136_10201633758553218_1733144614_n

What Breed Is He? 14140_10201633759113232_928962731_n

What Breed Is He? 1002608_10201633757993204_1152446093_n[/QUOTE]

MrJackRabbit
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

What Breed Is He? Empty Re: What Breed Is He?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:34 pm

He is very gorgeous. Ultimately the answer to your question is that he is a cross breed. And it is probably not as simple as saying mum was X and dad was Y as I would be willing to bet that his parents were of mixed heritage too.

From his shape with the  big ears I would say he has something like a giant. He has the colouring and may be the right size for a cross with a Vienna White which are white with blue eyes, but his coat is not pure enough white to be pure bred and I think his ears are too big. The shadow on his nose hints of a a dark nosed type rabbit in there somewhere. This could be something like a Rhinelander, or a Thuringer, Sallander, Papillon (which also come in giant form), Himalayan, or one of the sealpoint types. I don't think he has any hare types in him as he looks too stocky and I don't think those ears are going to lop ( and English lops have ears that are so big that they never have a chance of being uppy).

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJackRabbit Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Wow thank you for such a detailed reply! I realise must be severely mixed as there are no pure bred anythings here with the exceptions of some dog breeds! It's just good to get an idea of what he will be like as he gets older and the size to expect.
I actually just weighed him and at 4 months old he is already weighing in at 1.8kg, its certainly fair warning on him being a very large lad!
Thank you again Smile x

MrJackRabbit
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi there!

Welcome to HH

He is gorgeous!

I'm afraid I can't add anything more than Cheryl has but he is lovely.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I would say there's definitely some giant bun in there somewhere. All the large rabbit breeds tend to have fabulous temperaments so if at all possible I'd seriously consider making him a housebun Thumbs Up 

Are you going to be able to get him neutered safely, do you think?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJackRabbit Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Sparky, right now he can't be a house bun as we live in a rented house but we are hoping to move into an apartment in a year or so where he will definitely be a house bun! He is already super affectionate and nuzzles me constantly. I'm seriously in love with him already!

I have found a vet who - from the stories I've heard - may consider neutering him especially as neutering rabbits isn't that different from neutering cats (wild cats are caught and neutered regularly by vets here) so I've got my fingers crossed! Thankfully we have €500 in savings so if we can find a vet to do it then we will be able to afford to have it done as soon as possible Smile

MrJackRabbit
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Looks like he has a conti giant in him at the very least
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 pm

He look's very much like a young New Zealand White Cross, he's very beautiful Smile 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Jack is beautiful! Love  And still a baby too! Such a delightful future you have with him!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Doesn't he have a beautiful bob tail, I don't think I have ever seen one like it?

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm

I replied earlier but it didn't send! So ill write out again in short version - its so so difficult to pinpoint a rabbits "breed" because often traits are so similar across various breeds, and most rabbits ARE mixtures going back many many generations, not as simple as Y crossed with Z - the parents, and parents parents and even before than were likely crosses!

That being said he does look like hes going to be a pretty big lad! Hes got big feet and very big ears! So I would base your accomodation around that for a giant breed. x
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fiver Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:44 am

definitely looks cross breed looks a little to me like he has some rex in him
Rex

fiver
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 10155
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down