Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed...

+9
jolovesbunnies
bibblesmummee
Littleboots
NickieM
KatieB
Blackberry
Tuckerbunnies
BugsBunny
Sparky
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... Empty It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed...

Post by Sparky Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:43 pm

... it's an Ugli Doughnut Pillow, until I decide otherwise Twisted Evil 

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_5784_zpsf329af74

I am foiling all of Humum's attempts to get a photo of me in it for Katie to show Daisy. But she says it is not all that huge, and when she picked me up and plonked me in it (yes, really Shocked) it looked just perfect. She bought one that was advertised as a small / medium but also 'extra plump'. I'm not sure what point she was trying to make...

I've not been caught in my bunny hugger bed yet either, although I have dragged it around the pen a bit Laughing
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... Empty Re: It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed...

Post by BugsBunny Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:43 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing  Sparky you are just an awesome bun and so cheeky. I see you are as stubborn as Dougal. i bet you lie in it all night when they are alsleep.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:52 am

I've just ordered this angora and cashmere ugli donut for wee Fudge as the bunny model in the photo is
Maus and he is a little Nethie so I thought it would be ideal for wee Fudge as Fudge loves to snuggle in his hay.
It's an early Christmas present for him Smile 

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/154832507?campaign_label=receipt_buyer&utm_source=transactional&utm_campaign=receipt_010170_7297498688_0_0&utm_medium=trans_email

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackberry Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:42 am

Lady Jane would like to give a lesson in how to use a donut.

Nanny Pat makes her donuts, as LJ insists on pretty girly colours.

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_0568_zps2c3617c8

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_9794_zpse38a0705

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_1939_zps079877da

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_1114_zps24dadf66

She would also like to point out that donuts are good for humping and for throwing around Smile
Blackberry
Blackberry
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-09-15

http://www.dandelionsgallery.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 am

Sparky...... You are such a funny little Rabbit. You just go ahead and avoid being comfy if it means you can prove your point!

Lady jane - I just love how you have matching cushions - gorgeous demonstrations by the way :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:09 am

Maysie do you know what the source of the angora is?

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 am

Good point Cheryl - never thought of that.
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:58 am

LJ, you are such a co-operative lionhead Laughing 

Re: the wool - they do offer ethically farmed wool and the people who do the beds are the same people who run Bibbles Bunny Sanctuary so I'd imagine the angora, although not specifically mentioned as ethical, has been plucked from the bottoms of their buns Thumbs Up
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:42 am

They talk on the shop about recycling materials so I wonder if they have given any thought to the material being used. I love the idea of these beds but Bruce makes holes in almost every soft bed he is given.

I am also finding myself wondering what the noms boxes are in the background of the pic. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:56 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:They talk on the shop about recycling materials so I wonder if they have given any thought to the material being used. I love the idea of these beds but Bruce makes holes in almost every soft bed he is given.

I am also finding myself wondering what the noms boxes are in the background of the pic. Laughing 
I have copied and pasted this to my friend at Bibbles Bunny Sanctuary so I am sure she will get back to me and then I can tell you.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:48 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Maysie do you know what the source of the angora is?
The angora fur is from her friend's bunny.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:39 pm

So that will be the bunny with a bald bum then!  Laughing
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for that Maysie Thumbs Up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Anyone ever owning an angora bunny could make duvets every month with all the excess wool.... I used to get bag fulls off Dylan when i trimmed him... I put lots of mine out for the birds.... they all had lovely wooly warm nests.
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 pm

But commercial angora farming is not good thing at all and for most angoras the harvesting of their fur is torture. So I would not feel comfortable buying anything made with commercially sourced Angora, even if it had been recycled wool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:47 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:But commercial angora farming is not good thing at all and for most angoras the harvesting of their fur is torture. So I would not feel comfortable buying anything made with commercially sourced Angora, even if it had been recycled wool.
I agree with the commercial farming.... while i was looking for info on how to clip/trim Dylan I came across some awful videos of bunnies being tied to racks and turned whilst being clipped Sad  it was vile and really upset me Sad 
However pet angoras do need this wool clipping off for their own well being... I swear by the time Id clipped Dylan.... it was growing back before my eyes.. so I see no problem with putting this sort of wool to good use... I would happily have donated it somewhere if anyone could have made use of it...
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 pm

The angora that they use to make the ugli donuts is not farmed, you can like Littleboots said get enough fur off an angora grooming it to fill a couple of bags, we have even given some of Jess's fur to one of our customers whos Mother has a spinning wheel and we also leave it out for the birds.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bibblesmummee Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:02 am

Cheryl, here I am. You could have asked me yourself about the source, but here I am to answer it for you in person. Hi! My name is Mrs Masha. It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... 2bibtr10
I created and run Bibble's Bunny Sanctuary in East Anglia. We are the only rabbit rescue in the Ely area that I know of. In 2012 we had taken in so many bunnies that I had to decide between my job and the bunnies and of course it was the bunnies. You know how it happens, you start out small, and then more and more unwanted neglected bunnies need a place to go.  The vet bills add up and even feeding all of them costs a lot of money. So I started selling the beds in an Etsy shop (a friend sells handbags on Etsy which gave me the idea). I invented the Bun-velope after taking Frida in for her spay and her surgery going wrong and then I had to bring her home and get her out of the carrier and I thought, I wish I had a specially made blanket that was padded that fit in there with handles on it so I could lift her out without causing her more pain! And viola, the Bun-velope (c) was born. The Ugli Donut (which I copyrighted in 2012) I invented for Cassie, our tripod amputee, since she needed the shape to reach her bum to eat her chew-poo and something to support her back, and Bibble her partner kept peeing in beds with bottoms on them. Cassie chewed everything I made them out of and then out of desperation I made her one from a Fisherman's jumper I had. It was ugly and lumpy but it worked. We called it her Ugli Donut which is where the name comes from. And that is what taught me to make their beds knitted wool and acrylic. She was also the inspiration for the Bunny Hugger (c) beds which are very good for giants, bunnies with head tilt, and more. She passed on last year, bless her soul. I miss her so much. But she inspired me to rescue bunnies as I thought, how could someone neglect a baby bunny so much that her leg would have to be amputated?
Of course I save the fur from the bunnies' moults here, did you not see in the shop I sell bags of ethical fur? You seem to have read the About page but perhaps not read on very far from that.  It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... Img_6111
I am so glad you discovered my shop too. And did it through the wonderful Tucker Buns who are angels of the bunny rescue world. My shop is recommended by the House Rabbit Society. My vet loves the items and our previous vet (who sadly moved back to Ireland) bought a Bunny Hugger for her giant bunny. Several vets in America have bought my items including the Bun-velope and the beds. It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... Bunvel10
Since it has not been addressed in this discussion, I would like to add beds bought in pet shops and online pet shops are usually made in China, where bunnies have a very hard time of it in every way (fur, meat and animal testing) and also contain chemicals and usually foam, which if bunnies eat can make them quite ill. Also the humans who make them are not paid much at all.
So for those who are here chatting about angora, and fur, this is a very interesting subject and one I bang on about all the time with people I know. I would love to let you all know about etsy: in Etsy there are (at least) two non commercial angora bunny sources, and one belongs to my progressive Etsy team Animal Ethical, which I started and am the Captain of. There is a link to that team in my profile. Doing research can help people so much. And bunnies. Aren't forums super? One can learn so much especially when the person with the knowledge is right at the doorstep.
I am so happy to have found this forum being a rescue sanctuary.
Not sure about the question with the "noms" in boxes in background, if that is directed at any photos from my shop, please make that more clear. All the bunnies here eat a mostly hay diet with some Burgess and Selective pellets and fresh herbage. You can read about that in the link provided in my shop profile, which takes you to the sanctuary website.  It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... White110
bibblesmummee
bibblesmummee
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-10-12

http://www.thehareapparent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:13 am

It is lovely to see that you have joined the forum Mrs Masha. I have looked at your etsy products may times as I think they are great, but unfortunately I just can't see my pair using them.

Whilst I did see your statement about ethical wool and understood it in terms of sheep, I had not previously seen one of your products that used Angora. One of the purposes of the forum is to ask questions and educate in all matters of rabbit welfare. Every time someone posts about a product with angora wool in it, and I spot it in the materials list, I will point it out. I think it is really important to encourage people to ask questions about the sourcing of products that they buy and not just trust that because something is marketed for rabbits does not mean it meets rabbit welfare standards.

I very much hope that this is not a one of visit to the forum Mrs Masha as I think many members of the forum would be very interested in your on going ethical work.

(and the noms were in the pic of Sparky)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:18 am

Hello Mrs Masha Wave 

Welcome in and thank you for my bed. I will stop being a madam and lay in it one of these days. I have half-laid in the bunny hugger one but not for long enough to be photographed Thumbs Up 

I have balance problems and sometimes I fall over, especially when I am falling asleep. So my Humum hoped a bed like this would help support me as I sleep and I would not feel like I was falling over so much and startle myself awake.

Thankyou for all the information about the wool, I am glad Cheryl asked as I certainly learned more than I knew before and now know to be more careful in what I let my Humum buy for me.

Cheryl - the nom boxes were from packs of a Rosewood product called 'Simply Nibbles Dandelion Salad' which we have only been able to get in Morrisons. It's not even on the Rosewood website so perhaps it is something they only make for Morrisons. It's dried dandelion, green oat, meadow hay, marigold, peppermint and carrot. It is quite yum and the box bits are just perfect for a small grey and white lionhead to throw about Twisted Evil
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bibblesmummee Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am

Cheryl - no, hoppy to be a member and will visit often. Cheers. Did you see Will.i.am in the staff list on the right side of the About page, he is a rescued giant German Lop x Angora.

Sparky - hiya! So nice to see you here. I have sent a few of the Bunny Huggers to rescues in other countries to help bunnies who have head tilt in hope I can do something to help them. Those noms sound lovely! Too mad we have no Morrisons here.

I have surprisingly found Wilkinsons of all places, sells dried dandelion! Helpful in winter when there is no fresh around and I need to grab some quick if a bunny here is having tummy troubles.

good stuff: Yesterday I found wonderful water hyacinth (not the same thing as the flowering iris bulbs people grow in their garden, it is more like a seagrass) place mats, big round ones, on clearance at Sainsbury's for 69p each. The bunnies here love to chew it and normally I have to buy them from Ikea for several pounds each. Also they have beautiful bath sheets on clearance for £3 each, a big helper to rescues as we do go through a lot of towels with the special needs bunnies.
bibblesmummee
bibblesmummee
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-10-12

http://www.thehareapparent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Really gorgeous photos and a wonderful bun.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Hector uses his as a perch to eat his hay from:

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... 6FC3D356-5FE3-414A-A079-56C5A6AC042C-439-0000002C5504E687_zps63932ea3

Edit// he also uses it to rest his head on when i give him facerubs

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... 88855FDE-831C-4048-8A28-E8352AFCD20E-320-00000048B828E111_zpsda8b9b03

Last edited by Zo on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Those beds look amazing!

I just know Molly and Junior wouldn't use one tho Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I am thinking of getting on for T and MJ. I think T might like it because if you roll up a blanket she does this:

It's not an Ugli Doughnut Bed... IMG_0201_zpsf6b46fa5
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next