Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image

+14
Big Ears
Velvet.Tears
NickieM
jolovesbunnies
Sparky
SarahJane
KatieB
Littleboots
Zo
FluffSlave
Tuckerbunnies
Thumper2001
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
maziebunny
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image Empty Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image

Post by maziebunny Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi - I am new on here and I just wanted to warn people in the bunny world of the possibility of a problem with a certain type of enclosure.  Please take a moment to read this, look at the style of enclosure, read the 1 star reviews and look at the awful photo that shows a rabbit trapped between the bars.  Photo is shown as 1 customer image, the link for it is under the main photo, it is an upsetting photo, but shows the problem clearly.

A few months back a lady had been warning people (on a page on facebook) about an enclosure as her little rabbit had died as their head got caught between the bars of an enclosure, the same enclosure that I have. At the time I checked mine and from comments made by other people it seemed that small or young rabbits were not ideally suited to this type of enclosure. I looked the enclosure up on a few websites and on some it did state don't use if your rabbit is small or under 6 months.

My rabbit Isis is just back from hospital she has suffered a broken jaw, and on the enclosure there are two bars which have been pushed apart, after speaking with the vet, although her injury could have been caused by a fall, or bad landing after a binky, it is however also consistent with her having had her head stuck between the bars.

She is closer to 2 years old, so not a tiny rabbit, nor is she small as she was around 3.5kgs. I never thought for a minute that she would or could have fitted her head through the bars.

If you do have one of these styles of enclosures, it is worth taking precautionary measures. A friend has lined the bars with chicken wire, to prevent any accidents happening. I don't know if that is the best solution, but certainly worth looking into, after her rabbit also got it's head stuck between the bars. Another friend of mine, who had the same happen, found her rabbit had broken it's claw on her back foot, trying to free herself.  Another friend, sadly found her rabbit had died.

I have emailed the seller, and Amazon, to ask if they will look into the safety of this run. If you look at the reviews for the link below, there are several reviews at the 1 star rating of injuries or death of a rabbit.

I have posted this on a couple of other places, and sadly the comments I am getting are showing more injuries and deaths.  I am not posting this to upset anyone, just to warn of a possible problem.

***Please note that the customer image, on the below link, is of a rabbit trapped in the cage, and it has died, it is really upsetting, but clearly shows how a rabbit can get trapped***

***Because I am new, I can't post a link, but if you look on Amazon for a 72" rabbit playpen enclosure run, it costs around £30, has about 86 reviews on it.  The same run is available in several places to buy and comes in a few sizes ***

Last edited by maziebunny on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

maziebunny
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image Empty Re: Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Last edited by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image Empty Re: Important warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image

Post by maziebunny Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you for posting the link.

I am gutted about my wee bunny getting hurt, and given the reviews it seems a common problem.

maziebunny
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh yikes! That is awful Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh my God Shocked 

That poor poor bunny Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I can't cope with this its terrible this will haunt me.

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Oh my gosh, that poor rabbit Crying or Very sad 

This is my run I think pale 
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Oh god that's awful Sad
Zo
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1329
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Tuckerbunnies wrote:Oh my God Shocked 

That poor poor bunny Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I can't cope with this its terrible this will haunt me.

Me neither.... I wish I hadnt looked Sad
poor poor bunny Sad Sad Sad
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 pm

I dont really use runs / enclosures as all mine have fixed ones.... but I do have them for certain occasions ... I wouldnt have anything but the one below... theyre fantastic... and extremley safeImportant warning bad enclosure - WARNING v upsetting image DaisyandScoobygoout00111_zpsd25fd4e4
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 pm

I personally think that this thread should have a warning as the photo is quite upsetting and will upset a lot of people. I've been in tears Crying or Very sad 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

I have one of those. I'm going to chuck it. Thank you for the warning .
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:40 pm

I don't think many of you know this, but this happened to Pebbles. She was being looked after at a friends, and she got spooked and headbutted the run and she got her head stuck. Hetty had to wrench the metal apart to get her out, and somehow she didn't have a single injury.

I didn't use the run again for a long time, i was too nervous. Admittedly, now I do but only supervised. I never ever leave them out in it, they have an attached wooden run, and they have this run for on the grass, and I put them in it while I clean them out to give them some grass. But I wouldn't leave them in it alone, like you say its quite common and I know when I contacted Zooplus, they couldn't care less about it.

The run always looks daft when the girls are in it, because its full of tunnels and hidey holes, one in each corner so the can dart to safety. But I don't leave them in it. So, in theory it's pretty useless!

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by maziebunny Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:54 pm

So sorry if the post has upset anyone, or more that the image has. It is awful, and makes me very upset. The reviews are telling a sorry tale. The company that sold me mine are being a bit dismissive, and I just want to try to get word out that if you have a run like this, then you could have potential for an accident.
I don't want another bunny to go through what mine is just now. She was in hospital for a week and has a broken jaw.
I do plan to take this further, but Amazon are investigating it, so hopefully that may do something.

maziebunny
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 am

It's okay Maizie, I know it wasn't intended to upset - more to inform. We just have to make sure images like that have a warning in the subject title, so that people know what to expect when they open the thread Thumbs Up 

Oh my gosh, makes me realise how lucky pebbles was to have had no injuries at all. I remember her eye was slightly red but within a day she was fine. She is a very delicate little lady, I suspect if it had been any of the others they wouldnt have been so lucky.

Do keep us updated on her recovery, she is a very very lucky girl. Hugs 
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 am

Maizie,
Can you pop something warning about it onto our facebook page, ill then share it and post on some other pages?

I think we need to get this message out there as widely as we can.

Katie
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by maziebunny Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:30 am

Of course I can, Katie Is the facebook page Happy Hoppers?

And to anyone else, please if anyone can, share the warning, and let other friends, forums and facebook pages be aware of the possible dangers. The more poeple who know, then the better. Thank you.

maziebunny
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm

These runs need to be recalled! My buns won't be using theirs again until I've modified it. Thank you so much for posting this link and making me and other people aware of how dangerous this is!!

Will try and spread the word Thumbs Up

FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

That's horrific, and the couldn't-care-less attitude makes it even more so No 

Has anyone informed the RWAF and RSPCA?
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Its on the RWAF fb page...I can see.

I brought one of these recently for someone who had aquired buns and I wanted to help make sure they had enough space. Im going to now buy some mesh for the inside and mine is going in the bin

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Apologies if any distress was caused by posting the photo - obviously I posted that. I felt that without the photo it is easy to think 'my bun must be bigger, it won't happen to them'. I just wanted to show the reality of the situation.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us love and I really hope some action is taken.  That poor lovely little bunny.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

That is absolutely shocking!  Shocked

what is more shocking is that even though the site is FILLED with reviews telling of numerous rabbits being trapped and some even dying, the company is still advertising this as suitable for rabbits. 

I think that the company should be ashamed of themselves and suggest that we mobilise to get them to remove mention of rabbits and to add that these should NOT be used for rabbits because of the dangers.

Detailed Seller Information

• Business Name: PEL UK
  • Business Type: Distribution
  • Business Address:

• Unit 2A, 2nd Floor,
    • Building 28, Westminster Industrial Estate, 34 Bowater Rd,
    • LOndon
    • SE18 5TF
    • GB

NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Littleboots Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Great to get the message out and warn people of the horrors of these runs
I also was shocked by the photo.... but part of me thinks.... who dashed for the camera to get a picture of such an awful accident Sad Sad  I would have been hysterical!
Littleboots
Littleboots
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 pm

2 things spring to mind June:

1. everyone has a camera on their phone these days and many people are never without their phones.

2. If you are unsure of the safest way to proceed you send a photo to someone who may be able to help.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 pm

awwww poor bunny Sad
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next