Catching them & protecting cables/wallpaper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Catching them & protecting cables/wallpaper

Post by Sandie83 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi all,

Humphrey is doing really well, and we're learning to communicate Very Happy He now sits on the footstool and stares at me until I stroke him. He runs to see me when I get in at night (he used to hide) and he sits by his bowl when he wants it topping up (surprisingly not all the time!)

So, now it's colder, he is living in the utility. He has the pet carrier to sleep in, a hay basket, water bottle attached to the carrier door (it's always open) and a bowl for pellets. He is very well behaved in there, but it's fairly bun proof.

Trouble is when I take him upstairs with me for a few hours at night. I try to hide the cables, but he will try his best to get to them (£65 to replace my MacBook cable Shocked I could buy so many treats for that!) and he also loves my wallpaper, my camera that he somehow managed to pull down...list goes on! He evens jumps underneath the TV and onto the DVD player to switch it off when I'm watching it! There are a few things he has attacked that I will allow him to; how I can encourage that, rather that the more expensive and difficult to replace items?

He had a couple of toys, which he has now destroyed. What are the best things to occupy a bun, and encourage them away from things they shouldn't be attacking?

Thanks!

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Catching them & protecting cables/wallpaper

Post by Sandie83 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 am

I was so ecstatic to catch him, I missed out that part of the post!

He will still on the footstool and await attention most of the night. But he seems to sense when it's bedtime, and then it becomes one big game...any ideas on how to encourage Humphrey to go to bed nicely?

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:18 am

Hi there!

Glad to hear you wnd the little guy are doing so well together.

I would advise getting some wrap for the cables - we got ours from the local pound shop, that way you don't have to worry.

If you manage to find away to prevent wallpaper nibbling please let me know .... My daisy still has the occasional nibble!

His new area sounds brilliant but I notice that you didn't mention that he had hay. It is vitally important for his hearth that he 80% of his diet is hay, 10% nugs and 10% fresh veg. Without this you could end up with a bun with serious teeth issues. An eggcup of nugs twice a day is plenty, with unlimited tasty hay. If you have a basket of hay that can be moved from room to room - he may nibble that instead!

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Zo on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 am

I use the cable protectors on general wires, but with my macbook/phone charger I find it's just a case of keeping it completely out of his way.

With bedtime, I put a fenugreek crunchie in Hector's food bowl every night, and now he knows that it means it's bedtime. Now I just have to put it in the bowl and he hops in and I can close the door, but when I was still teaching him I'd have to tap the bowl or point at it so he knew something was in there. It takes a bit of time but you'll get there in the end, and it's worth it to have a bun that happily goes back in his cage without any stress or fuss!
Zo
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1328
Registration date : 2012-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:43 pm

All of our cables are behind the big cage-pen the piggies run around in and he never comes in here which is good.  All safe and sound and luckily he doesn't chew walls as Mr Snuffles did.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 pm

We have cable and cord protectors.  Hubby finally found some small enough for our tablet charger cords after he had chewed thru 3.  
For the longest time all we had to do to get Rory to bed was say or sing Bunny Bedtime a few times and put pellets in his bowl making the bowl make a sound by pushing it around on the tile a bit.

Rory has now abruptly stopped doing it, so now we have Plan B.  'B' for Broom. He has quite a thing for chasing our red broom.  So Plan B is tapping him lightly with the broom and then he chases it until he tires and does a DBF(dead bunny flop).  Then tap him with the broom again and have him chase it into his 'room'.  Takes about 3 minutes.  I have to say it is fun to watch him chase it and binky a bit.  And when he goes from running full on and does an abrupt DBF it is hilarious.
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top