Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dougal has cut his paw- need advice

+3
KatieB
Amelia66
BugsBunny
7 posters

Go down

Dougal has cut his paw- need advice Empty Dougal has cut his paw- need advice

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi guys

So last night about1:30am before I went to bed I was chasing Dougal as he loves to be chased and play peek a boo. He was jumping and binking around a lot then noticed some blood on a bit of hay he stood on and on floor where I went to look and suspected he had cut it in that particular part of the bedroom. There whre blood drops on floor. I then saw hom lickng his front paw, not sure which 1 as need to lok at both as cannot remember and made sure this morn and before I went bed there where no more coming out. It appeared to stop. Thing is Dougal hates me touching his paws and cannot get to see it, I am going to try and get him to persicope later for a quick peek.

Do you think I need to worry? we suspect he did it when he slammed into the plastic plant pot and trnking when he jumped and has either broken a nail or just caught it and cut it.

I know rabbits can heal fast and well but not sure how bad a cut it was or anything without seeing it. Just going to try have a look when put tea on whilst it is cooking.

He seems fine on it and stuff but I know they are good at hiding injury and illness.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Dougal has cut his paw- need advice Empty Re: Dougal has cut his paw- need advice

Post by Amelia66 Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:49 pm

he probably caught a nail as there tends to be alot of blood when this happens, but as you said it does stop quickly. I would keep and eye on it just to make sure, or let the vets have a look if you are worried.
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Dougal has cut his paw- need advice Empty Re: Dougal has cut his paw- need advice

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks hun.

I will try get a peek at it over next few days and keep an eye out to see if it gets worse or can see anything and watch closely how he moves on it etc. If i am unsure I will get it seen to for sure. I will see how he goes.

Just needed some reassurance as was shocked when saw blood. He was still jumping around. I think he blames me too, he is still loving with me but he is also acting as if I made him hurt  Sad Sad . He knows how to make me feel bad. He is probably just doing it so he gets more treats and nose rubs  Laughing Laughing .

He is a monkey though, he always wanta nose rub off me and sticks his nose in the air onto my hand and stays there whilst he gets his nose rub, but as soon as my huybby walks in he moves and pretends he is not being pampered as he is a man bun not a wuss  Laughing Laughing  so I said to ste, look at him I bet he does not want me to when you are here, so I went to do it and he started thumping at me and jumoed away  Laughing Laughing . Cheeky little mite.

He cracks me up though and he is such a sweet, energetic fun bun.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

I'd think it was a nail too if he is still moving normally on it. Is keep an eye on him and see how he goes x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks huns
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Poor little chum has a poor paw. Hope he is better soon love.

Hugs

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 am

For small cuts on paws or toe nails that had been pulled out you can dip them in what we call here in the USA 'corn starch'. There you may call it corn flour.

If you have bunnies it is a good idea to keep a small bit of this or have styptic powder to help stop the bleeding.

Torn nails or nails cut into the quick can bleed so much you wonder how they could have any blood left! Scary to see the blood whatever the cause tho, isn't it?
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 am

how is the paw now?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Rory asks how Dougal's boo boo paw is and gives a nose touch.

Hope he is better?  Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 pm

hope Dougal is on the mend  Hugs 
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I hope Dougal is better today hun, lots of noserubs on their way.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks guys

well he will not let me touch his paws at all, he is murder when it comes to the paw paws but good news is he seems completely fine and not limping, licking it constantly or anything like that.

Only thing is I wanted to ask is, it could have been the back 1 and the blood got onto the front when he stood on it as it seemed to flick onto the wardrobe and his litter tray and noticed when he had his back legs stretched out a brown mark in his fur, could this be blood that has dried in and turned a brown ish colour ir could it be a sore hock? I went to touch it, and barely did and he jumped up and ran off.

I do not know why he does this as he is so trusting now of me and has been for ages and other people he loves now, more and more, I have always been able to wipe his eyes if he has any dried discharge ( rarely) but he does let me when he does have it. Even bathe it when it was infected, put stuff on it, I have always been able to brush him , chase him, stroke him anywhere m even his but and tail, he lets me put my head on him and kiss him on the head and kinda cuddle him whilst he chewing the hut or hay. The only thing he hates is the feet being touched and picked up, yet he lets me put his hands under his tum, oh and he hates his chest being touched. He is so loving and trusting but strange when it comes to the other things I mentioned.

He is so good around people too, he used to run off and hide but now he runs to them, he has always loved my younger brother, he is the only 1 apart from me he likes to play chasey with and it is so cute, and my mum , he has always followed her, he is like my bunny shadow completely and when I go down stairs to spend time with hudad or anything he sits at the top on his bridge staring at me as if to say- where do you think your going humum/bunny slave. He runs to most people now, he loves my dad now too, now he knows he is not just the bad mean man who takes him to the vets and scoops him up into his box when humum cannot get him in it  Laughing Laughing Laughing .
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm glad he seems fine, and whilst he is, I wouldn't worry too much Very Happy

I have no experience of sore hocks so can't offer any advice there...

I get what you mean about the foot thing. Willow is as tame as you describe and more like a dog than a rabbit, but if you try and touch her feet she will go nuts and gets in a right sulk! We gave her a bum bath yesterday and because she is such a big girl we have to put her into the bath to do it (we literally fill it up so it is so shallow it is only half way up her front paws), but because her bum and back feet were so stained from the incontinence I was trying to work it out a bit with my hands and her face was a picture, as if to say "what the hell are you doing, hoomin?!" ShockedLaughing

I also know the "where are you going?" look all too well Wink
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down