Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Mexico :)

+10
gentl
c.bolduan
Tuckerbunnies
KatieB
Sparky
FluffSlave
marleyNfriends
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
NickieM
Deva Sofia
14 posters

Go down

Hello from Mexico :) Empty Hello from Mexico :)

Post by Deva Sofia Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 am

My name is Sofia, and my rabbit´s names are Chiki and Bube.
We were not planning on having pets, but Chiki appeared under our car in the city, so we took him home and we choose to keep him when we found out that they could be house pets. We thought it was a girl until he reached teenage and hormones started shaking! We had to change his name!  
Theres is no culture on having rabbits as house pets in Mexico... people see them as food  No  and they always joke about "when are we going to eat them!"   Shocked ...  That is why I search for support in the internet and I found this Forum  study 
A bit later we decided to adopt a female so he would have a friend. But the one we adopted happened to be a male too!... Laughing   the person who gave it to us was sure he was a girl! That´s why Bube came to  us. He was kept in a very small cage in a place where they sell rabbits for meat  Crying or Very sad 
Anyway both are neutered. They are good friends, with some territorial issues, but no fighting.
They are both amazing at using their litter box, since the beggining! They have a room where they stay when we are not at home, and while we are home they are free, with all the precautions!
Sometimes we take them out to the garden, never on their own, and they run and have fun for a while. They are both healthy.
We dont have special vets for rabbits around... only the farm vets and the regular dog-cat... We had to take them to Mexico city ( 12 hours from here) to get them neutered. A long journey, with lots of care, and they did well!
We are really happy about having them. Now its almost 8 months since we found Chiki and all this rabbit adventure started. Im so happy learning from them.  albino 
Very well! I hope to share more about us and to learn from all what people are sharing here. Thanks for doing this for Rabbits and for people to take good care of them!  
Best wishes to all of you and your Rabbits  Wave 

Sofia*
Deva Sofia
Deva Sofia
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-12-14

http://www.myspace.com/devasofia

Back to top Go down

Hello from Mexico :) Empty Re: Hello from Mexico :)

Post by NickieM Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Sofia and welcome to HH. We also get lots of jokes about rabbit stew, but we just ignore them!

HH is a place that really helps people who live in countries where there isn't a lot of information about rabbits. Often vets focus on dogs and cats, or farm animals but know little of use when your bunny is ill. There are lots of information areas and the membership has a variety of owners with little or extensive knowledge.

We are always happy to hear about members' pets and if you are worried about something, we can help.
NickieM
NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14530
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Sofia,

Welcome to HH. It was only a short time ago that people here in the UK thought you were mad to have house rabbits but now it is much more common.

I look forward to hearing much more about your rabbits.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 am

Hi Sofia...Im Sophia Very Happy

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like youre doing great with your pair so far, and youre clearly very dedicated to them! This forum is a great resource for all things bunny, and im sure you'll meet plenty of bunny mad friends along the way! I know I have, and these guys have become somewhat of an extended family to me Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Sofia, welcome to HH Wave

It's lovely that you have taken on those lucky buns who could have had a much worse fate! Sad

Happy Hoppers should be really useful for you as others have said, as there's loads of info on here that you should find a good help Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Sofia, and welcome to you and Chiki and Bube  Very Happy 

You know, we complain about not being able to find a rabbit vet locally, a 12-hour drive is some dedication  Shocked 

Well done for taking these boys on, it's great that they have a safe home with you now  cheers 

I look forward to hearing more about them. And seeing pictures. We like pictures  Wink
Sparky
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey Sophia :-)

Lovely to see you here :-)

Your boys sound amazing, and very lucky they found you xxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi and Welcome to the Forum  Wave 

Big respect to you for taking the time to get your rabbits neutered and driving such a long way to get it done it sounds to me as if you are very caring rabbit owners and Chiki and Bube are so lucky to have you.

Oh we have heard so many 'rabbit stew and pie' jokes that I've lost count so we get that here as well.

Can't wait to see photos of Chiki and Bube , enjoy the forum  Very Happy 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Welcome to HH. Looking forward to share news and keep up to date.
Claudia

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva Sofia Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you all!! we feel very welcomed!! and so happy to have rabbit people friends!! it feels good!!
Ill share much more soon, and pictures too! as soon as I manage to send them!!
and more about our 12 hour trip!! it has a whole story  Wink Wink Wink 
Deva Sofia
Deva Sofia
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 am

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Did you get my message Sofia?
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 am

¡Hola! ¿Qué tal? Me llamo Holly. I live in the state of Oklahoma in the USA. For the most part people think the same things about rabbits here. I love it here. I know you and your precious bunnies will also!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:33 pm

A very warm welcome to our happy family love, these are certainly two very lucky little bunnies to have you as ther mom.

Hugs

JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Hello and welcome to HH Wave

I'm sure you'll love it here Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm

welcome to HH! Your story of rescuing your two buns makes me very happy! I'm looking forward to hearing more about them  Wave 
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva Sofia Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 am

When we found Chiki under our car in Puerto Vallarta, the city nearby, he must have been 2,3 months old. We didnt know about having rabbits. I researched a lot in the internet and decided to keep him. We found out that he needed to be neutered... but no specialized vets around! only farm vets that offered to do it with no experience. He learned the litter box in few days and loved it!
As summer gets terribly hot here, we usually leave for few months every summer so we decided to travel with Chiki to Mexico city ( where we could find an experienced vet), get him neutered and adopt a second rabbit over there because we didnt want to have a single rabbit. We thought to bring him a girl that was also spayed. So we got him neutered, took only few days to recover, and we were looking for options for adopting the second, so we saw Bube... in a place where they sell rabbits for meat. He was in a small cage with his beautiful sister. The man told us that Bube was a girl and that his sister was a boy ( it was the other way around). He was so young that we could not get him neutered right away.We fell in love with the sister too and tried to find home for her through the rabbit people we met in Mexico city, but nobody could take her... we had to let go...
We waited around 4 weeks. And then the vet agreed to do it. He recovered in one day! He was already jumping on the bed so I even thought that he didnt get the surgery! but he did... Bube was always very rejecting of touch, very cautious, very afraid. Maybe he witnessed some ugly things and didnt like humans. Chiki has always been super social with humans, he also became friends with the dog that used to live here, they used to hang out and rest together when we only had Chiki ( this dog got lost while we were away during summer, a beautiful chocolate labrador  Sad and Chiki missed him) he communicates well with us, he is very extrovert and hates cages... he loves to lick us for hours. Bube has very rarely accepted touch and we have respected this. But by now he is well bonded with Chiki, they spend most of the time together and sleep on top of each other, Bube licks Chiki, but not the other way around. Chiki demands to be licked. Slowly Bube is becoming more confident in approaching us. They live almost free around our appartment and terrace. And we put them in their room if we go out and during night. We dont use cage, although we have one, that has 3 floors! ( we bought just in case they will ever need) Sometimes we go down to the garden where they can run, dig, etc..
So!! After 2 months away from home with the rabbits, they were both neutered, healed, in the process of bonding and ready to drive back!! We left with one rabbit and came back with 2! It was a long ride with lots of preparation. They did amazing and I was talking to them constantly and they would relax. It was stressful for all of us, but we managed! We made one stop in a motel to rest for a night, they could stretch, rest, eat properly, water, litter box etc! and next day we drove the second half!!
Its been 3 month since we arrived. Things are going very ok. We love to live with rabbits. We just dont have a vet, so we do our best to keep them very healthy, and so far, no problems. But Im already getting info on the common rabbit issues that might happen, just in case. So I can help the vets with good information. Ill send pictures. Im still getting to know how this works!! Well, that was some story!! we hope you enjoy!  Wave Wave 
Deva Sofia
Deva Sofia
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 am

Don't worry about Bube not being very human friendly. My doe Flo has never been one for strokes and cuddles and I have had her since she was young enough to leave her mum and so I know she has never been badly handled or treated. She just prefers to get her attention from Bruce. But she is not afraid of me and will sit on me to demand treats if necessary or dig at me to move me out of the way.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva Sofia Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 am

yes.. thank you Cheryl, I just wonder how am I going to get his nails trimmed... and his hair brushed... until now I have not done it.
Also Bube is the only one who does not get any touch... Chiki is the "boss" so he pushes Bube to lick him, but Chiki never licks Bube. Chiki also gets strokes from us, but Bube does not. I hope its ok with him to not get any of this Sad I would love to give him but maybe one day he will ask. He asks for treats Smile and when he does, he is not shy and he climbs on me to do it, but if he feels my hand touching his hair even really soft, he immediately runs away... is that a "normal" reaction?
Deva Sofia
Deva Sofia
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

What a story! Its so hearwarming that you did this for them. how wonderful.

I think they must be the most loved bunnies in the whole of Mexico :-)

I wouldnt worry to much about him not wanting to be touched. It sounds like he is just a bit frightened and in time things will get better and he will learn trust ;-)

You have done a beautiful thing xxx
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:26 pm

What a lovely story Love

Thank you for rescuing these guys and giving them a chance Hugs

I wouldn't worry about Bube being shy. They sound like my pair - chalk and cheese. Willow is a really outgoing, social bun who loves to be stroked and fussed whereas Mojo (like Bube) has had bad experiences in the past with people and isn't so trusting. It has taken me a long time to get to where I am with him now and he's still very quiet but will accept short strokes. You just have to let Bube come on his own terms. He may never be very people friendly, like Mr Mo, but he is loved and that's all that matters Very Happy
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Velvet.Tears Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Smile Sounds like some very spoilt and well cared for bunnies, much like the other buns on here. And that's a long way to go too!
Velvet.Tears
Velvet.Tears
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5578
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down