Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit

5 posters

Go down

Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit Empty Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit

Post by c.bolduan Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Me again,
Not sure where to put this post as none of the existing forum parts seem suitable.
The story should be shared to guests I believe.
I'm now aware that HH does not actively promote to get Bunnies from breeders or shops and that's right in most cases.
However if I'm asked I will claim that all of my pets are rescued including Bertie.
I got him from pets at home in Cheltenham. Went t here to get cat supplies and found this gorgeous bun sitting on his own in a area.
Whilst my partner argued with the sale assistant about their current offer of buying a bun and get 20% of the basic hutch I was more interested in the animal itself and raised questions like:
Why is he on his own? Answer: he loves human contact but doesn't get on with other bunnies
How old is he? Answer: 5-6 weeks. Me taking a look at the poor boy thought that the hutch they were arguing about was far to small if he would grow older and 2 days later found him humping the cat so rather 3 month old got more and more worried.
Final question what kind of breed is he? Answer, well he has got Lop in him. Frankly by that time I had decided to take him because obviously they haven't had much of an idea about this bun.
Rescued in this spence he lives since 2 years with his hunbun Bubbles from blue gross and is the most devoted bunny you could wish for.
In short. Bunnies need rescuing from all kind of sources. Private, Shelters, shops and even sadly Breeders Hissy  Sad . This is not a criticism but a thought to try to improve all bunnies existence no matter where they are coming from! Love  Wave Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit 8dfb38ac626caecf8a89cc1535e7f825_zps7597c3e2

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit Empty Re: Bertie the unusual rescue rabbit

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm

As a forum we understand that a rescue is a rescue wherever it may be from. However, we do not support the breeding of animals for profit.

All members are welcome here, however they got their buns, but we will always encourage rescue above purchase. The fact remains that the only way to stop breeding, is to reduce the market for it, and in the mean time promote welfare standards of all bunnies.

We hope to do this through education and support, hopefully improving the lives of all bunnies, wherever they are from.

KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm glad you have him - what a lucky bun. :-)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Well hun I got Dougal from a breeder and he is an amazing bun and happy bun and we are giving him a good life and he seems very happy. You are right in a sense  as somebody could have taken Dougal and not looked  after him properly, he could have been a small hutch bun stuck in the bottom of a garden but he has come to a good home which I hope he is very happy of. So I may not have rescued him but who knows I could have if he had gotten into the wrong hands. That is why I have to agree with you on this but would not promote it.4

I think as long as you care for them well every animal whether is be bought or rescued from a shelter is in fact rescued in a sense, as long as they get the proper care they need and love.

That said I did not know about there being so many bunnies needing rescuing from actual rescue centers and agree with Katie too, I see it from both angles , if I had known I would have rescued instead but that said I am so glad I have Dougal and would not change a thing, he is perfect, but I agree promoting buying and breeding is not good and there are so many actual rescue buns out there if I where to ever get a partner for Dougal or in future any more buns then I would go down the rescue route.

I am glad you gave the lonely bunny a good home. I know pet shops can be bad and buns do in fact sometimes need that rescue from there indeed so respect to you for that. I can just see it from both points though.

Example of one near us before that opened last year that had bunnies and piggies in the hot blazing sun in the window, now they definitely needed rescuing, now the shop has moved, it is bigger and they are in the middle and not in a window so he had obviously been told by someone and so glad too as he seems a nice guy, just do not think he was clued up enough that way, another reason they needed to be out of there.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Yes absolutely right, both of you. I didn't mean to promote "buying " a rabbit or any other pet from a shop or breeder.
It was just to explain this particular case but also knowing there is likely to be far more out there.
If I would have planed to get a bun I certainly would have contacted a shelter or rescue(as I did with Bubbles) but Bertie just hopped along and I felt pitty for him. Being an active member of cats protection legue, animal shelter Cheltenham and supporting blue cross and RSPCA as well as RWA I'm completely with you on the aim to rehome as many fellows as possible.
I actually don't know what p@h policy is on unsold animals?
Regards to shelters even they seem not a complete safe haven.
A lady in the village got a buck from p@h and took him to the vet hat the shelter for advice regarding neutering and vaccination and was told not to bother!? I will follow this up because if it is true it would be outrageous I think.
So let's just hope that people come to sense and see the point of rescuing an animal.
They all deserve the best and if it means to be spoiled so be it Very Happy Thumbs Up Love 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I know where you're coming from. I too bought Willow from a pet shop after finding her in a similar situation. She was so beautiful and I could see every child in there attracted to her over the other buns. I stuck my hand into her enclosure and she periscoped up and sniffed it Love At that point my heart ruled and I couldn't allow such a sweet natured bunny to end up in a hutch forgotten about. Years on now and she is the friendliest and most loving bun I've had (and maybe ever will have). She's been so poorly through her short life and cost a tonne in vet bills, I dread to think how her life would have ended if she'd gone to uncaring owners as she so easily could. So in a way, I feel I rescued her... 

That said, getting Mojo from the RSPCA and watching him grow more confident with us has been so rewarding. 

I've been tempted many of times to impulse buy as I did with Willow, but I will always adopt rescue buns in the future. I don't regret Willow in any way and she is my one in a million pet and we have an amazing bond, but I always say adopt not shop! Thumbs Up 

I'm so glad you could rescue Bertie and give him such a wonderful life Very Happy
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:15 am

I agree with it alll, buying, rsescuing etc, as long as yo give the animal you are rescuing the best care possible. I aopted our dwarf hammie on the adoption part of p@h before we got Dougal, do not regret either, he was being pushed out by his 2 brothers and was more interested in me so I took him. Donated a bit of money, so to me that is a form of rescuing too.

I think Dougal is such a brilliant, amazing bun and would not change him for the world.

About the advice she was given not to neuter or vaccinate, that is not good advice at all, it is always best to get both done as the benefits from both or better than not doing. I would def get the vaccinations done and neuter, best for the bun. I can understand certain situations where people chose not to and cannot due to bunny helath issues etc but otherwise I belvie it should always be done for the benefit of the rabbit. I got told the sdame from a vet near us and knew right away they where no good for rabbits, not rabbit savvy at all, I posted the question on here and told people what this vet had advised and a lot of people where utraged at the vet. I then got advice on a proper bun savvy vets and the advice they gave was spot on and proper. I would advise her to ask on here where a good bun savvy vet is aorund there or go to the 1 you take yours to. I am glad I had this forum for advice and proper direction to a proper well clued up vets.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:13 pm

They are both gorgeous buns hun.

Hugs

JO xx