Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timothy hay recommendation.

3 posters

Go down

Timothy hay recommendation. Empty Timothy hay recommendation.

Post by Sixer Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:22 pm

I have just taken delivery of some timothy hay from here

http://www.timothyhay.co.uk/

They will send out a sample for you to try before you buy.

If you haven't tried it yet with your bunnies then mine can heartily recommend it. The trio particularly adore it and prefer it to the Ings I have been buying. I am hoping that because it is stalkier than the Ings it will have a positive effect on their teeth.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Timothy hay recommendation. Empty Re: Timothy hay recommendation.

Post by BugsBunny Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I am sure somebody else on the forum reccomended this one too, I think Timothy hay is brilliant and with it being so stalky I belevie it is what has so far kept Dougals teeth nice, let's hope it carries on doing so. We have fed it him since we got him at 9 weeks old, he never had alfalfa when he was a baby and he has always loved Timothy, he eats lots of it. Dougal will not tocuh ings hay or any soft hay, got him a bag again to try of some meadwo hay and he has a nibble at it now and again but I do not think he actually eats it  Laughing Laughing  just messes with  it or tiny bits and he does not do brown hay at all, he frowns upon the brown stuff  Laughing Laughing Laughing . it is like I am trying to poison him when I give him brown.

We get out Timothy hay from hay experts but if it is nice and sweet smellling and stalky like that I may try that site some time, he has a massiv 50lb box to getthrough yet, it is always sweet smelling and very green, the way he likes it, is it all green too from there hun?

Glad you found a good deal and hay the buns like hun.

Oh and the only other hay he will eat is oat hay, either the western one or burns green, he loves those.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Thats what T and MJ are on now Smile
It is super stalky and they love it Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 pm

BugsBunny wrote:We get out Timothy hay from hay experts but if it is nice and sweet smellling and stalky like that I may try that site some time, he has a massiv 50lb box to getthrough yet, it is always sweet smelling and very green, the way he likes it, is it all green too from there hun?

I am guessing this is the Oxbow timothy hay. I used to buy the 50lb size too but stopped once I realised cheaper timothy hay available from this country. With six rabbits at the time getting through a lot of hay any savings counts! How long does it take for Dougal to chomp through 50lb of hay?

I agree the Oxbow is very green and flat bladed, I think this is due to it being harvested in the US where conditions are obviously different to here. The timothy I have recommended is completely different, much more stalky and yellow in colour. I have never seen the buns so enthusiastic about hay as they are with this variety.

Mine have never been all that bothered about oat hay and are a bit ambivalent about the current Ings supply as well.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Sixer wrote:
BugsBunny wrote:We get out Timothy hay from hay experts but if it is nice and sweet smellling and stalky like that I may try that site some time, he has a massiv 50lb box to getthrough yet, it is always sweet smelling and very green, the way he likes it, is it all green too from there hun?

I am guessing this is the Oxbow timothy hay. I used to buy the 50lb size too but stopped once I realised cheaper timothy hay available from this country. With six rabbits at the time getting through a lot of hay any savings counts! How long does it take for Dougal to chomp through 50lb of hay?

I agree the Oxbow is very green and flat bladed, I think this is due to it being harvested in the US where conditions are obviously different to here. The timothy I have recommended is completely different, much more stalky and yellow in colour. I have never seen the buns so enthusiastic about hay as they are with this variety.

Mine have never been all that bothered about oat hay and are a bit ambivalent about the current Ings supply as well.

I should imagine it would take him forever  Laughing Laughing , buthe loves the stuff so much I do not dare to really change it, unless I got a sample of the other but he is set for a good whie now, I know that when you have more than 1 bun you need a lot more and it goes way faster and costs more so that sounds a great price and is much cheaper. I just know how fussy Dougal is and how much he loves this hay, it is the oxbow yes hun. He wont touch hay if it is not green  Laughing Laughing .
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down