Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?)

+2
FluffSlave
SarahJane
6 posters

Go down

Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?) Empty Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?)

Post by SarahJane Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 pm

My friend from uni has a rabbit, hes had countless issues with him and the poor thing is really struggling at the moment. Hes a REW, and hes had problems ever since hes had him. Hes a VERY picky eater, he does all the right things but he has so much diahorrea and bad tummy etc. He pretty much refuses to eat all/any hay! My friend Becki is this guys girlfriend, she also went to my uni and were best friends so were all friends etc, so ive been talking to him a lot about it.

Hes been getting sore hocks but thats on the mend now,and last year he had EC

Now the main issue is his eye. It filled with blood, and has been very weepy and sore. The vet thinks that the E.C has caused permanent damage to his eye and is recommending him to have the eye removed.

Ive said, he should be put under and have his teeth fully examined first, in case its his teeth causing the eye issues, as he does get weepy eyes too.

Do you think that sounds like appropriate advice?
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?) Empty Re: Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?)

Post by FluffSlave Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 am

I think it would be a good idea to look at his teeth also. If he's got weepy eyes and refusing to eat...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?) Empty Re: Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?)

Post by Sixer Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:49 pm

I think an xray would be a good idea too if this has not already been done, looking at the teeth may not show what is happening with the roots.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:40 pm

I made a mistake, he doesnt eat hay but he does have a good appetite for anything else. Hmm good idea about an x ray!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 pm

I am so sorry to hear this hun, I hope the little love is much better soon.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Sounds like good advice to me hun.

Poor thing,hope he copes with everything.

Sending vibes.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:21 pm

I've only just seen this I am so sorry  Embarassed Sad 

He doesn't sound very good at all does he, it's almost as if there is something wrong with his digestive system. I would certainly get his teeth checked and his eye could be blocked tear ducts, I wonder if it's just very badly blood shot .

Helen has e.cuniculi and she had an ulcer on her cornea and it made her eye look as if it was bloody but it was very bloodshot, we managed to get her eye better else she would have had to have it removed. In fact I have a photo of her eye. It could be all part of his e.cuniculi if that is what he has. Poor boy  Sad 

Longterm unwell rabbit - need advice!(Maysie?) Heleneye122nd

I would certainly get the teeth checked and the back molars, and if that's not the problem I would get the vet to take x-rays as they will be able to tell them so much more.

Of course he may have had this done by now, how is he doing?

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't know, Ill chase it up when my friend (his girlfriend, we all met at uni) comes to stay next week Smile

Thanks Maysie Smile
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

The poor little love, I do so hope he is better soon hun, please keep us up to date.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down