Gabe - U/D had a dental

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gabe - U/D had a dental

Post by Sixer on Thu May 22, 2014 2:26 pm

I posted in another thread about how much Gabriel had slowed down, was sleeping more than 'doing', flopped out more quickly after his binky/500 sessions, and was not as keen on food in general. On the plus side he was still charging over for treats and tucking into his favourite dried herbs. I put this down to his middle age - must be at least 7 - and the fact he was moulting. However as my fret level was increasing I took him down to the local vets just for peace of mind. Vicky couldn't find anything amiss apart from a tiny spur on one tooth. He was heavier than I expected and was having a high time exploring her consulting room. £23 later we decided it was likely an age/moult thing and that further investigation was not warranted.

However I am becoming increasingly aware that he and maybe Spring are eating less hay, not diving into their pellets and are ambivalent about veg. They are still mad keen on treats though. They are eating more grass so maybe this is a factor. The hay is a new bale but the threesome happily dive into it. The pellets are a completely new bag too but again the threesome are not picking at it. I am bemused by Spring as she is a bit of a pig with food - or may she was because it was a competitive thing with Gabe. I am not overly worried about her as her poos are fine. However Gabe's are rubbish - small and black. I had intended to go back to the vets this week but with us having been in the garden on Sunday I pretty much watched him all day. He had a thoroughly good time free ranging and was much more the Gabe I know. However his poops are still no better so it would seem wise to go back to the vets and I am off work next week. Maybe the tooth is more troublesome than thought. But of course this morning when I had made my mind up they ate all their breakfast veg straightaway.

My preferred vets for anything tricky is 20 mins drive away (they have 24 hr care) so I would want to take them there. I did intend to take Spring too given her accolade of most expensive rabbit of 2013, just to make sure her teeth are OK. But then they get stressed in the car which is never good, especially just for a check up. And I think I will continue to fret even if I get a second clean bill of health.

Can I ask you wise Hoppers what you would do?

Last edited by Sixer on Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Gabe - U/D had a dental

Post by Big Ears on Thu May 22, 2014 3:21 pm

I always do the vet trip if I'm thinking there's maybe *something*.

I could see Artie wasn't right when he had kidneys stones, there wasn't much more to describe than you have, just a lack of sparkle, just not himself. I wish I'd been more confident to say "he's not right". It was discovered shortly after when it became critical but I now take them with the slightest thing. They've often told me that they trust my instincts as well, from past experience of having picked up the signs.

I say go with it and take him. If there's nothing then at least you've covered all bases but if it's something you want it diagnosed/treated, whatever.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 991
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu May 22, 2014 3:40 pm

I agree with BigEars.

I am a worrier in general but especially when it comes to my rabbits. I definitely live by the ethos of 'better safe than sorry'. Not sure my bank balance appreciates it mind you Laughing
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I totally agree with Alison. I think that we know them and of something's not right then you will know Hun.

I think if he has a hook this could well be the problem.

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

My pair are one of their phases of eating less hay. I think it is the current new growth of grass in the garden mixed with the hormones which are also definitely kicking in.

cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have booked Gabe and Spring in for check ups next week. Cheryl, I am hoping that this is nothing more than the increase in their time on the grass altering behaviour. But I know until I can be reassured there is nothing amiss I will continue to fret and even imagine problems that are maybe not there.
In the meantime I have Gabe on metacam to see if this has any effect.
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl on Fri May 23, 2014 12:28 am

Sending 'just in case' vibes for the handsome Gabe and some hugs for you! It is so stressing when we know something is just 'off' and we cannot tell what it is. Rabbits hide things all too completely. Trust your instincts!
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 am

Fingers crossed they've just been over indulging on grass. Keep us posted Smile
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 13220
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane on Fri May 23, 2014 12:21 pm

I always take them if I think something may not be right, a couple of times I have been wrong but most of the time I am right!

Have you considered giving Gabe some of the Oxbow joint support supplements? I got them at the vet for £10 but they are also that price on Amazon. The vet really recommended them and its too soon to tell for Jelly as its been a couple of days but they seem to be working, and they look like a flat fenugreek crunchie so buns love them!

Gone but never forgotten, Peanut Butter, Jelly, and Domino.
SarahJane
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Thank you all - I have been thinking about the oxbow joint support supplements, I think it it is time to dip further into my overdraft and get some in.

Gabe is noticeably perkier today - I do suspect the metacam is having an effect - I increased it a wee bit. He has decided he likes it and now licks it off the syringe.
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny on Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 pm

I think you are right to worry and get a second opinion as you know Gabe and Sprng better than anyone so you know when something is a miss.

I would put it down to old age etc too but just in case it is a teeth related problem etc it is always best to be safe.

Dougal had me worried sick one week as he went 4 days or so where he did not seem interested in his pellets and this is a bunny who runs circles around my feet when he hears me go into the bag for them and does his honking um um um noise and positions himself accross from the pelltet bag every time you come out of the bathroom for extras  Laughing Laughing . He was quiet and had his head on the floor etc but when we took him the vets he was completely fine. Just let's hope it is same with the sweet 2.

I think weather does a lot too as it has been so hot for us hoomins so must be mega hot for the buns, then today it is cold, so extreme changes in temperature could be doing it too and of course his moult. Dougal is a big hay eater, good hay eater but even he has not had s much as he normally does lately too but his poops are good and he eats fine and happy so not too worried and he stil eats hay. Just not as much.
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Fri May 23, 2014 4:10 pm

As many have said already it is worth getting him checked. Better safe than sorry!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies on Fri May 23, 2014 5:20 pm

I've only just seen this but yes get Gabe to the vets because even the smallest of spurs can set them off not eating believe me and they can go downhill so quick. I find that some rabbits seem to give up when they have a spur as if they think " well that's it I'm going to die because nobody knows I have a spur on my tooth" I know I sound ridiculous but sometimes I try to think like a rabbit would about certain things and I do think sometimes when they have spurs or are ill that they think it's the end as we won't know.

I know get the white coat for me  Laughing  Laughing 

Sending lots of Vibes for Gabe xxxxxxxxxx

And a couple of these for you  Hugs  Hugs 

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri May 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Oh dear, I hope he is OK hun, please let us know what the vet says.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11458
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Wed May 28, 2014 3:33 pm

So Gabe and Spring went to the vets this morning. The vet thinks Gabe has some soreness/stiffness in his spine and also said that his molars needed sorting. Spring has stopped there with him for company.

I have just phoned to check on him, I need to phone back in an hour or so as he is not yet eating. Neither is Spring  Sad but she has a history of not eating whilst at the vets. I hope that they will agree to let them come home, they get so stressy at the vets I am sure that they will be better off back here and are more likely to eat.
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Absolutely, they will recover quicker and easier at home.
If they don't eat at the vet there is a chance they will in their own enviroment. If this fails! A warm welcome to the syringe feeding club.
Please keep us updated will you??? Wave Wave 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 pm

I hope he eats love and is back home with you soon.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 pm

They are back home  Very Happy  Gabe is fine and has settled down pretty much straight away  Very Happy Spring however did not enjoy her day out and is reluctant to eat. I have left her to settle and come round in her own time - hopefully she will be ready for her supper later.
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky on Wed May 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Lots of vibes for the pair of them  Hugs Hugs Hugs and for your nerves  Hugs 
Sparky
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 8037
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl on Wed May 28, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm glad Gabe is feeling better! Sending vibes for him and Spring.

Maysie-Don't think you need the white coat. Bunnies don't know there is medicine/procedures to help them. They just want it over with and assume they will die. Few bunnies like the V.E.T.

gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny on Thu May 29, 2014 6:45 pm

I am glad they are okay and sending vibes for Spring, hope she has come around now.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm glad Gabe is ok and sorted now, and I hope Spring has come around for you now Hugs
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri May 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Oh sweetie, at least they are home with you now and can only get better. Lots of hugs on their way.

Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top