Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis!

+5
jolovesbunnies
FluffSlave
BugsBunny
KatieB
c.bolduan
9 posters

Go down

Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis! Empty Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis!

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 am

Bubbles has been to the Vet this morning.
On Monday morning she refused her breakfast No 
Tried to give treats at lunchtime with no success. By late afternoon her poos were the size of rice and just as hart and dry. I was deep cleaning the warren and found that she had chewed one of the fleece blankets. There where massive wholes in it and hardly any evidence of fabric to be found.  Shocked  pale 
By that time she was lethargic and absolutely not her self. She even aloud me to pick her up to take her inside and syringe feed some water so I phoned the vet and discussed the facts.
We agreed that I would give her some recovery and additional fluid and booked an appointment for today.
Likely that the indigestion fabric had caused her gut to slow down and consequently she received an mento loperamide injection, of what she didn't approve at all.
Just been with her and Bertie for the last few hours. He came with her to the vet for moral support and is looking after his Lady beautifully and very caring even cleaned her bum earlier.
She tucked into the fresh greens ,veg and fruit tonight and had a good drink whilst I was with them. Doesn't eat her pellets but just nibbled on a moderate amount of hay and ready grass.
Although it seems we haveast the worse could I have some be a good girl and poo vibes, because she is producing small amounts and size ( lentil size maybe),
I will see how she is in the morning. Vet said he could take her in for a drip, but I want to avoid this if possible.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis! Empty Re: Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis!

Post by KatieB Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:33 am

Oh goodness I hope she is ok this morning Hun.

Sending her lots of vibes and all my love x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis! Empty Re: Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:49 am

Glad to hear that she is on the mend.

If this happens again can I suggest that you get her to the vets first. Bruce does a similar thing but his is dental pain related. But he refuses food and you cannot miss for one moment that he is miserable. Because we (my vet and I) know that this is most likely dental related I have metacam at home which I give initially with some ranitidine and this gets him eating again and buys us enough time for him to have a routine appointment.

It is a different picture for rabbits in proper stasis as it could be a blockage. If your bun has a blockage the RWAF advise that giving recovery is the worst thing you can do as the recovery food does not pass through the system, it just sits in front of the blockage and builds up creating a life threatening state. I know that the RWAF are always very keen on stressing that a rabbit that won't eat is an emergency situation and needs to go to the vets as quickly as possible. This is especially true in this warmer weather as a rabbit who cannot eat and drink will become dehydrated very quickly which will accelerate the condition.

Please don't take this as a criticism. As a forum we are committed to promoting the correct care for rabbits and our threads are read by guests who are in similar circumstances. For those purposes we need to make sure the information about the recommended pathways of care are included on these threads.

Back to top Go down

Bubbles has been to vet. Emergency Stasis! Empty Thank you and update

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:45 am

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Glad to hear that she is on the mend.

If this happens again can I suggest that you get her to the vets first. Bruce does a similar thing but his is dental pain related. But he refuses food and you cannot miss for one moment that he is miserable. Because we (my vet and I) know that this is most likely dental related I have metacam at home which I give initially with some ranitidine and this gets him eating again and buys us enough time for him to have a routine appointment.

It is a different picture for rabbits in proper stasis as it could be a blockage. If your bun has a blockage the RWAF advise that giving recovery is the worst thing you can do as the recovery food does not pass through the system, it just sits in front of the blockage and builds up creating a life threatening state. I know that the RWAF are always very keen on stressing that a rabbit that won't eat is an emergency situation and needs to go to the vets as quickly as possible. This is especially true in this warmer weather as a rabbit who cannot eat and drink will become dehydrated very quickly which will accelerate the condition.

Please don't take this as a criticism. As a forum we are committed to promoting the correct care for rabbits and our threads are read by guests who are in similar circumstances.  For those purposes we need to make sure the information about the recommended pathways of care are included on these threads.

Thank you Cheryl,
This is very helpful!
When I spoke to the vet on the phone I asked specifically whether I should give any metacam and she said no, just in case I need to come in over night. The provide a 24 hour service and I wanted them to be aware of the situation. Unfortunately my two rabbit savvy vets weren't on call that evening/night that is why I wanted to see whether we can have an appointment next day. I didn't mention in the thread that by the time of the phone call I had only given the water and took Bubbles out in the run again to be with Bertie even if it meant I might not be able to easily establish whether and how much bowel actions she did. Though the sizes were so different you could identify who's is who's.Rolling Eyes 
I wondered whether a gut stimulant at this time would have been better than waiting but as Bubbles was trying to nibble some grass we agreed to hang on. If there would have been any change than I would have rushed her over no matter of what time or who was on duty.
I didn't know about the recovery food not going through is this only when it is a complete blockage or even if it is partial? I will certainly talk to them about this as I agree with you that the right pathways need to be followed.Thumbs Up 
On the appointment she was seen by Anna the rabbit savvy vet and we checked everything. Teeth are fine, there was some poo sitting in the anal area inside and she removed this gently. bowel sounds present, no fever,and good heart sounds.
Plan is to see how her majesty behaves today and so far she has certainly picked up, but if in any doubt I will go back with her. I have not given any more water or food via syringe to her as she was drinking well and eating most of her food independently.
This morning back to her normal way of being and poo is nearly normal size too.

By the way all fleecy blankets are banned from the warren and replace by cotton fabrics Wave 

Last edited by c.bolduan on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thinking)

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm

I am so sorry this has happened and I really hope she picks up soon.

Sending mega poop vibes.

Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs 
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Bubbles' episode. How scary! Sad

I am glad she is on the mend now though. I am sending 'continue healing' vibes her way, and hugs for you - that must have been quite scary to see her like that Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:43 pm

The poor little love and you to hun, lots of loving get well vibes are on their way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

How is Bubbles doing?
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:37 pm

lots of vibes for Bubbles, hope she shifts her blockage
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 pm

How is she today love?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Any news on Bubbles?
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Sending vibes and prayers for Bubbles, Bertie and you!  Hugs Hugs 
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6686
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Top up vibes for Bubbles, how is he hun?
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:18 pm

She is definitely brighter in herself.
Still not eating her usual amounts rather 1/3-1/2 of that but poo looks much better!
She is drinking plenty out f water bowls again not normal. She used to prefer bottles. I now have both scattered in the warren so she has plenty of options.
Will phone the vet in the morning to see how we can increase her appetite.
Thank you for all the vibes, thoughts and prayers. Much appreciated.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm glad she seems to have picked up and the fact that her poops are better is a great sign Thumbs Up

Keep it up, Bubbles! Very Happy

Sending lots of vibes your way Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:55 am

Vibe top up! Hope all is well!
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by paullp Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:58 am

top up vibes for a continued recovery!
paullp
paullp
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerbunnies Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:14 pm

I missed this but glad to hear Bubbles is better we have had Helen at the vets again on Thursday for a dental op and I walked the floor most of the day with worry as her last dental was 5 weeks ago and she came round and had seizures and we nearly lost her, this time our vet Honor used a different GA and she came round and didn't fit. Last night she ate all her greens and she is slowly improving.

They are such a worry, and I agree with Cheryl totally having had quite a few rabbits over the years with blockages, I gave advice to someone on Facebook only the other day who had come home from work to find her rabbit lethargic and panting, she asked me should she be concerned as it hadn't eaten or was drinking and I said get it to a vet asap in case it has a blockage, it may have been just been tummy ache but the fact the rabbit had not eaten, drank and was also moulting was worrying enough for me.
He was taken to the emergency vets and I am please to say he is ok now.

Sending 'Get Well' vibes to Bubbles xxxxxxxx

Tuckerbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 15875

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Update 21.06
Been back to the vet this morning as she is till only eating small amounts and poops are consequently small too. Had another metocloperamide injection and starting her on Fibreplex. When we got back she munched trough her breakfast like crazy and I felt a right fool.
Saw another bunny at the vet but will post this on a separate topic, though I can't to it on the rescue site.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Don't feel a fool. They do it to us all! Better to be safe than sorry, too.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 pm

^ Agreed!

Mojo did this to me a few weeks ago. He cost me a bomb at the emergency vet and when we got home he acted as though nothing was wrong!! Still, better safe than sorry...

How is Bubbles doing? Sending vibes to you both Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gentl Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Top up vibes for Bubbles.
gentl
gentl
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Top up loves and vibes are on their way.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down