Brainstorming...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brainstorming...

Post by FluffSlave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 pm

So as I think most of you already know from my numerous complaints about the matter - the rabbits and chinchillas share a room. They are currently divided by a barrier where they can't see/touch each other. This does work, but it's a bit of a pain for a number of reasons:

1) Every time I want to get into the chinchilla cage I have to move the big run I have "wrapped" around it (and the numerous other barricades created since the buns have chewed gaping holes from the bottom of the run that separates them and were escaping through those).

2) The chinchillas need daily out of cage exercise - this is a real pain as it means the buns have to be taken out of the room (it's working ok at the moment as I can put them into the garden but when the winter comes it might not be *so* easy). It's also annoying for me as I have to always be in the room and about at certain times to let chins and buns in and out and keep my eye on the buns through the window whilst they're pottering about the garden. I used to be able to just let the chins out at about 6pm at night and put them back in last thing when the animals had a room each... so that's annoying!

3) The chinchillas scent drives Willow potty after they've been out for a run, causing her to COVER the floor in pee and poop (I think this is a huge factor into her pee problem as a whole).

So, I've been scratching my head and wracking my brains for a while now for a solution. It occured to me that I could "build" the room into two halfs by creating a barrier along the length of it to literally split it - so the chins had a half they could run in and the buns had their half that they could be in at the same time, but when I asked mum she (reasonably) said no as it was going to mean drilling wood and what-not into the walls. So, I've been thinking some more and that's when freestanding aviaries sprang to mind...

I've had a look around and think something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-Wide-x-9ft-Long-Cat-Run-Rabbit-Run-Chicken-Run-Bird-Cage-Aviary-Panels-/171411875278?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&var=&hash=item27e8f1a5ce might work. The chin's cage could sit in there and when it's time for their run, they could be let out and run about contained, without running over the rabbit's space or the rabbits being able to get at them/vice versa (I'd have to create some sort of solid barrier running along the bottom of the panels). This way the chins would have their space, the buns would have there's, and the chins could go back to coming out at 6pm or so, running through the evening and going back in last thing, without them being able to get to each other or me needing to take the rabbits out of the room.

It is a little bit pricey so I'm not sure whether it would be better to buy aviary panels locally and build it myself (it would just be a case of screwing them together I think?), especially when you factor in delivery charges as well...

What do you guys think? I am desperate for a solution and this is the best I've come up with so far. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated also!

Also - Willow has gained some weight Very Happy We weighed her at her nails appointment this afternoon and she is now up to 3.2kg from 2.9kg which is great. It wasn't with our usual bunny vet as she's away so wasn't able to discuss spays etc, will have an update with that for you all soon...
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Brainstorming...

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm

When I was reading your post I was thinking splitting the room would be a good idea Very Happy Unfortunately I'm no help though, rubbish at these things Laughing

I can ask the OH if he has any ideas when he gets home from work tomorrow though, he's a joiner Smile

Great news re Willow's weight! Brilliant!! X
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 13205
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you Thumper2001 - that would be great Very Happy

I was so happy to see she'd gained some weight! I am more and more convinced this peeing is behavioural now. It comes in cycles and is worse at certain times... She appears otherwise healthy (despite her other problems) and so I'm really thinking that...
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Splitting the room is definitely worth a go Smile
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:15 pm

It is, it's just hard to think of how to do it. Mum won't have anything drilled into her walls (understandably!) but chins, and buns as you know, are determined little critters and will squeeze through any gap. If I literally built a barrier across the room, there'd still be a gap between the edge of the barrier and the wall because of the skirting board. I think the only way to close this would be attaching it to the wall  confused 

I'm not good at this stuff  Hissy 
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Neither am I! My first thought was pen panels! I don't have much imagination Laughing

My other thought was aqua panel, but that's really expensive I think. It would have been good though because you could just cut it round the skirting boards.
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Ooohhh, good news about the weight gain. I have used a puppy pen as a diverting wall and it would have worked for Bertie and Bubbles, but Vernon having Belgian Hare in him just jumped the fence. Not a master of DIY I don't think I can give much of advice. More a men's job I guess. Mike, Father Jack might have an idea. Panels yes but how would you secure them without drilling massive holes in the wall? scratch 
Just glad Wiloow is picking up....... Hugs Thumbs Up 

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Ooohhh, good news about the weight gain. I have used a puppy pen as a diverting wall and it would have worked for Bertie and Bubbles, but Vernon having Belgian Hare in him just jumped the fence. Not a master of DIY I don't think I can give much of advice. More a men's job I guess. Mike, Father Jack might have an idea. Panels yes but how would you secure them without drilling massive holes in the wall? scratch 
Just glad Wiloow is picking up....... Hugs Thumbs Up 
Good point!

Really good glue maybe? If your mum would let you glue it to the wall. OH uses stuff at work called Sticks Like Sh*t (I sh*t you not! Laughing) and it's good!
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 pm

The other issue is you'll need a bit to open so you can get in the side that doesn't have the door on it Hmmm
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:The other issue is you'll need a bit to open so you can get in the side that doesn't have the door on it Hmmm

Aha a practical mind, well done I hadnt thought that far yet. What are those funny cubes called I had seen whilst browsing on the HH site???.
Let me find it and I will share.

NIC cubes. Dont know about the price or whether it could be a solution. Found it on the property ladder page 11 + 12.  cheers cheers albino 

Last edited by c.bolduan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More details)

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:06 am

Yeah, I'd need to make some sort of door...

Hmm. This is tricky!

Another factor to consider is height. I'd want it to be at least 5.5/6ft as chinchillas are phenomenal jumpers and could easily scale 4ft, so if I'd be leaving them unsupervised I'd want 100% peace of mind that nobunny or chin was getting over the barrier.
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:09 am

c.bolduan wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:The other issue is you'll need a bit to open so you can get in the side that doesn't have the door on it Hmmm

Aha a practical mind, well done I hadnt thought that far yet. What are those funny cubes called I had seen whilst browsing on the HH site???.
Let me find it and I will share.

NIC cubes. Dont know about the price or whether it could be a solution. Found it on the property ladder page 11 + 12.  cheers cheers albino 

NIC cubes are no good for chinchillas as they will just pop straight through the squares. It's amazing how tiny a gap they can fit through... they're actually pretty skinny under all that fur!

I think a "four walls" structure is going to have to be the way to go as that way they're 100% contained and won't be able to squeeze through any gaps, no damage to the walls etc. Just going to be pricey  pale 
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:20 pm

My boyfriend and I measured up the room last night and have found some reasonably priced aviary panels which we *think* we could build together to make the sort of thing I want. Fingers crossed!

Pics will be supplied when things are done of course Very Happy
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Good luck love, I look forward to seeing it when it is done.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11415
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down