Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello - and first questions

+5
jolovesbunnies
FluffSlave
KatieB
c.bolduan
npanne
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hello - and first questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello - and first questions

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 pm

npanne wrote:Apparently I can't paste the link here - try putting three "w"s in front of this .therabbithutchcompany.co.uk/rabbit-hutches/the-coach-house-6ft-rabbit-hutch-84.html
You have to be a member for a certain amount of time or make a certain number of posts before you can post links, can't remember which! Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Looks good and promising. News from the conference may be interesting to you too. Check the threat. Peek holes! Get down to bunny level and see the world....
Give you a lot of credit to be so considerate before taking them on.
RESPECT! Hugs Wave confused cheers Happy Dance
Who ever the bunnies are they are fortunate to come to,you!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by npanne Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and advice so far.
I'm still waiting to hear back from my local rescue place - I've emailed them with a few questions, but one thing did concern me from the info on their website.
I think I'm good as far as hutch / living space is concerned, but when it comes to a run for the daytime, they recommend a MINIMUM of 365cm x 365cm (12 feet by 12 feet, in old money). That seems quite large - or am I wrong?

npanne
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Munchkin_Mummy Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Hiya Smile welcome to HH!
I'm sorry I'm very late to this thread! Just to say I have three bunnies myself, not because I set out to get three (volunteering for my local RSPCA branch is hazardous!) I have two neutered makes and a neutered female and they get on very, very well - but I know not all buns do! It genuinely depends on the buns themselves as to whether or not a trio will work Smile
Munchkin_Mummy
Munchkin_Mummy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2014-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBean Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 pm

npanne wrote:I think I'm good as far as hutch / living space is concerned, but when it comes to a run for the daytime, they recommend a MINIMUM of 365cm x 365cm (12 feet by 12 feet, in old money). That seems quite large - or am I wrong?
I'm quite sure they would love it of course, but the rescues I've seen say the minimum sized attached run should be around 8ft x 4ft.

I should think a 12ft x 12ft minimum run would probably filter out some fabulous homes as a lot of people don't have that sort of space
GreenBean
GreenBean
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by npanne Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks - that was my thoughts - still waiting for them to get back to me.

npanne
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by npanne Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Well, they did finally reply, and it does seem that their minimum requirement for a hutch is 6x2x2 (fair enough) and then for all-day access to a secure run at least 12x12. They referred me back to their guidelines : http://www.raystede.org/file/31/rabbit-care-leaflet.pdf.

Whilst I wouldn't say that this is excessive, it certainly seems more than a lot of other places recommend - and (as someone else has pointed out), quite likely to put off a large population of potential adopters - that said, I guess they have to do what they feel is the right thing.

npanne
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBean Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:20 am

It seems the minimum run size can include the hutch within it if that makes a difference?!

I totally agree that if you've seen rabbits enjoy having that much space, accepting that less is acceptable may be too big a compromise. And when rescues are adopting rabbits who have already often had a rough deal, they want the best for them. So I do understand. But it's a shame if it excludes lovely, responsible people who understand space is important and could provide a lovely caring home, but just don't have quite that much space.

Do you have any other rescues near you? It's always worth looking at places further afield as many have volunteers who are willing to help with transport for the right home.
GreenBean
GreenBean
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I experienced some thing similar. When I looked for a hunbun for Bertie I contacted various rescues. I was turned down by a respectable one of which I liked the attitude. It seems I had failed answering some of the health questions and that I had not had the sized run at the time although I made it clear I was working on the runaround system. scratch
Fair enough they don't want to rehome animals and then get them back for rehome if things don't work out. But only going for sizes of runs and hutches is not the whole story. Wonder what they would say to the set up now? Wink
Found Bubbles at Blue gross Burford and they were very supportive and helpful.
It may involve some searching but Im sure you will find the right buns! Very Happy

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next