Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22 pm

As some of you know, Molly had a dental today. Nearly 3 years old with no previous teeth problems, checked as recently as October and deemed fine.

I'm maybe mental for thinking this but it seems too much of a coincidence...

Molly is a good hay eater. They both are and always have been. BUT the last 2 months or so I've not been able to get Alfalfa King hay in P@H and it would have cost me a fortune to order it from The Hay Experts, so I started giving them Green Oat Hay instead.

And suddenly her teeth go to pot???? Could the lack of Alfalfa king hay be the answer? It seems too much of a coincidence to me.

Thoughts??

I've just phoned P@H and after it being out of stock for ages they've just told me they are getting some in tonight. It's like someone's telling me something Laughing


Also, they're insured and the dental just stung me £126. Would you try a pet plan claim??

Thanks to any thoughts Smile
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:25 pm

That hay experts delivery doesn't seem so expensive now Laughing
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Big Ears on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Green oat hay does seem a very soft hay, so it does seem quite feasible. Like you say it seems too much to be a coincidence.

It depends on your excess but as she's 3 I'm guessing it's around ?£70 ish, sounds worth claiming to me. Not sure about the small print with dentals but the worst they can do is say you are not covered.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 991
Location : somewhere else
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Big Ears wrote:Green oat hay does seem a very soft hay, so it does seem quite feasible. Like you say it seems too much to be a coincidence.

It depends on your excess but as she's 3 I'm guessing it's around ?£70 ish, sounds worth claiming to me.  Not sure about the small print with dentals but the worst they can do is say you are not covered.
Thank you. I really hope this hay turns up tonight because they've already told me once that it was coming in and it never!

I'm not sure about the excess actually. I'll have a look.

Thanks again Smile
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Warning I might crush you hopes! Suspect
Bertie and Bubbles are with pet plan and when Bertie had his dental done they paid£0.00 towards it as in my policy dental work is excluded. Check yours and if in doubt try but I wouldn't put my hopes to high. Norty pet plan!
Glad Molly has done well and sending recovery vibes for her and big hugs to you Hugs


Last edited by c.bolduan on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Short term memory!)

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 51
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:55 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Warning I might crush you hopes! Suspect
Bertie and Bubbles are with pet plan and when Bertie had his dental done they paid£0.00 towards it as in my policy dental work is excluded. Check yours and if in doubt try but I wouldn't put my hopes to high. Norty pet plan!
Glad Molly has done well and sending recovery vibes for her and big hugs to you Hugs
I did wonder this. But then, they stated when I took out their policy that their teeth must be checked every year (which I get done at vaccination time) so I wondered why we would have to check their teeth if they don't intend ever paying out scratch

If the excess makes it worthwhile I'm def going to try my luck.
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Big Ears on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:59 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Warning I might crush you hopes! Suspect
Bertie and Bubbles are with pet plan and when Bertie had his dental done they paid£0.00 towards it as in my policy dental work is excluded. Check yours and if in doubt try but I wouldn't put my hopes to high. Norty pet plan!
Glad Molly has done well and sending recovery vibes for her and big hugs to you Hugs

Actually, having given it more thought, I have seen discussions where people say Pet Plan have paid for a dental as a gesture of good will or something such but I think it was when it resulted in a stasis episode so they paid for the treatment that was considered life threatening if not treated but if they don't stop eating completely it's probably considered a routine procedure (same as claws trimming ad such) so don't pay. *I knew there was something but forgot what*. They paid for Erin's tooth removal as part of her treatment for a jaw abscess, and a dental spur that resulted from the previous treatment.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 991
Location : somewhere else
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:02 pm

I understand what you're saying, but why would they demand teeth are checked yearly?
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't know the answer to this. Give them a call and share your findings. All of mine are checked twice a year and they still refused to pay No

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 51
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Edit they don't take bunnies on that have their teeth removed or the monthly payment would be quoted at £48.70! Hence Vernon is not insured. I wondered whether it is worth taking insurance out for the bunnies. With the cats no problem. Maybe they need educating regarding the third most favoured pet in the uk?!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 51
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by iiisecondcreep on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but why would they demand teeth are checked yearly?

I'd hazard its because teeth that are regularly checked are less likely to incur as large a bill for treatment as neglected teeth are.

And re the bill-If you claim you may find teeth are excluded when you get your renewal through, but then if you have to disclose that she had a dental on renewal they may exclude teeth anyway.

I took insurance for MJ a month or so back, I answered the questions honestly and because I said that he had stopped eating for less than half a day once over 6months previous and we obviously took him to the vet his policy excludes all gastrointestinal issues Rolling Eyes
avatar
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 1212
Age : 33
Location : Bonnybridge, Central Scotland
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Big Ears on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but why would they demand teeth are checked yearly?

I'd hazard its because teeth that are regularly checked are less likely to incur as large a bill for treatment as neglected teeth are.

And re the bill-If you claim you may find teeth are excluded when you get your renewal through, but then if you have to disclose that she had a dental on renewal they may exclude teeth anyway.

I took insurance for MJ a month or so back, I answered the questions honestly and because I said that he had stopped eating for less than half a day once over 6months previous and we obviously took him to the vet his policy excludes all gastrointestinal issues Rolling Eyes

I have similar exclusions for Rudy. I adopted him at 1 year old he and needed a dental six weeks after I adopted him. They not only excluded dental treatment (?why state it as an exclusion unless it would otherwise be covered ??) but they also excluded jaw and facial abscesses. Rudy is said to have perfect teeth and now aged 7.5 has had no further problems. I put it down to poor diet in his previous home... but we are stuck with the exclusions Evil or Very Mad

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 991
Location : somewhere else
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by jolovesbunnies on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 pm

I am a little concerned now, I thought Pet Plan told me that as long as I had Holly's teeth checked every two months (which i would do anyway), she would be covered. I am going to look into this.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11445
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm sitting here wondering why I've been paying insurance for 2.5 years.

Edit, typing at the same time as Jo: It seems they're not consistent either Hmmm
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:40 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:I understand what you're saying, but why would they demand teeth are checked yearly?

I'd hazard its because teeth that are regularly checked are less likely to incur as large a bill for treatment as neglected teeth are.

And re the bill-If you claim you may find teeth are excluded when you get your renewal through, but then if you have to disclose that she had a dental on renewal they may exclude teeth anyway.

I took insurance for MJ a month or so back, I answered the questions honestly and because I said that he had stopped eating for less than half a day once over 6months previous and we obviously took him to the vet his policy excludes all gastrointestinal issues Rolling Eyes
I meant to comment on this earlier. You're prob right.
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by KatieB on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Goodness Ive missed all of this!

I hope she is okay

So what has made a difference with Daisy is mixing different types of hay.. the difference in the thickness of strands seems to make a difference to the amount of time he goes between dentals.

Its worth trying to claim on pet plan, sometimes they will honour a dental as a goodwill gesture.


Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
avatar
KatieB
Admin

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 17265
Age : 42
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks, Katie. I'm going to get some alfalfa king hay if it kills me!

I'm not sure if it'll be worth the claim if they'll increase her premium next year.

And I can't remember if I have to declare it Hmmm
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Big Ears on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Thanks, Katie. I'm going to get some alfalfa king hay if it kills me!

I'm not sure if it'll be worth the claim if they'll increase her premium next year.

And I can't remember if I have to declare it Hmmm

The way I've always dealt with the issue is each year they renew and give me a premium cost. I've either claimed or I haven't. If I've claimed they seen the medical records, if I haven't they don't and they are not relevant as it's not a pre-existing condition therefore it is covered and not relevant to the premium.

I did read somewhere that pet insurance companies are not allowed to alter the premium just because you've claimed as it puts people off claiming and therefore puts pets' health at risk. I'm not sure if this is right but when I claimed the full £1k for Artie's kidney stones episode Pets at Home premium for the following year was c £100 which is grand for an 8 year old rabbit.   Petplan must have paid out about £5,000 for Elijah by now but his premium for this year is £152 which is consistent with his age compared to my other bunnies.  

I am however pretty fed up with Petplan with regard to my senior bunnies - Erin's renewal now she is 7 years old is £185 per year premium, £100 excess + 20% of the bill.. that hardly seems worth the bother. I'd consistently need a bill each year of £400+ to make that worthwhile. One of the reasons I insure the younger ones is a life time condition could add up to a lot if they develop a life long condition when they are young, but when they are older there's a shorter time to have to pay out for it (grim though that reasoning is  Sad ).

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 991
Location : somewhere else
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Big Ears wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:Thanks, Katie. I'm going to get some alfalfa king hay if it kills me!

I'm not sure if it'll be worth the claim if they'll increase her premium next year.

And I can't remember if I have to declare it Hmmm

The way I've always dealt with the issue is each year they renew and give me a premium cost. I've either claimed or I haven't. If I've claimed they seen the medical records, if I haven't they don't and they are not relevant as it's not a pre-existing condition therefore it is covered and not relevant to the premium.

I did read somewhere that pet insurance companies are not allowed to alter the premium just because you've claimed as it puts people off claiming and therefore puts pets' health at risk. I'm not sure if this is right but when I claimed the full £1k for Artie's kidney stones episode Pets at Home premium for the following year was c £100 which is grand for an 8 year old rabbit.   Petplan must have paid out about £5,000 for Elijah by now but his premium for this year is £152 which is consistent with his age compared to my other bunnies.  

I am however pretty fed up with Petplan with regard to my senior bunnies - Erin's renewal now she is 7 years old is £185 per year premium, £100 excess + 20% of the bill.. that hardly seems worth the bother. I'd consistently need a bill each year of £400+ to make that worthwhile. One of the reasons I insure the younger ones is a life time condition could add up to a lot if they develop a life long condition when they are young, but when they are older there's a shorter time to have to pay out for it (grim though that reasoning is  Sad  ).
This post was very helpful, thank you.

It's such a hoo-ha isn't it. Insurance in general!
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Sixer on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Well, I had a notion that Petplan would cover teeth if they are checked regularly scratch but I seem to think that is if it is something more than a 'routine dental'. I have never insured the buns, with six, the premiums and then the excess have never made it seem worthwhile, especially if teeth are disallowed.

Petplan have just put up Paddy's premium to £205 a year with a £105 + 20% excess. After much oohing and aahing we are carrying on as Paddy does seem to have had more than his fair share of problems. I did get slightly cheaper quotes elsewhere but as we have had no problems with Petplan paying up we have stuck with them.
avatar
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 5762
Age : 54
Location : Horwich, Bolton.
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 pm

I really must look into my policy and see what is what. I thought I was quite well covered, well, as well as you can be with these companies.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11445
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:39 pm

As you know Bruce has regular dentals some years. (We have appeared to go all year without one this year! Shocked) He didn't have a dental until he was around 3. Some years he needs one every 6 weeks but others he goes ages in between. I think time nomming the grass outside makes a huge difference so the dry summer has done wonders this year.
Dentals were never covered with pet plan when they covered Bruce. Pay cover him now due to the rising premiums and lowering payout. But your vet sounds expensive. Bruce's teeth cost between £50 and £70 for depending on whether they need to use anaesthetic or just sedation.


avatar
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 7837
Age : 38
Location : Cornwall
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.

They are expensive Sad Probably the most expensive in town, bar the one we used to go to before they shut down the local practice.

As much as their prices are getting ridiculous, I just can't bring myself to move them to the new one that has opened in the area. I got their nails cut there and they seem fine, but it's daunting.

If this becomes a recurring problem with Molly I might have to give it more thought Hmmm
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13220
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Molly's teeth. Am I crazy for thinking this??

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum