Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nail clipping

5 posters

Go down

Nail clipping Empty Nail clipping

Post by GreenBean Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:59 am

Around how often would you say you clipped your buns' claws? We've had these ones for a few months now (we foster) and I'm pretty sure they're still okay - their run is on paving stones so that probably helps a bit. But I was wondering how often they tended to need doing.

I was trying to think how often I do the guinea pigs and it's not very often - every few months perhaps.

I've seen the claw clipping guide on here (although the images aren't working) but if anyone has any extra tips or tricks, I'd be grateful. I don't think Morag will be a problem as she loves being fussed over and if I distract her with food, she probably won't object too much. But although Nelson likes to be stroked, he's not keen on being handled so I think he'll be tricker and I don't want to upset him.

I can always wuss out and just take them back to the rescue for a quick manicure of course - leave it to the experts! (And let Nelson be cross with them instead of me!)
GreenBean
GreenBean
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Nail clipping Empty Re: Nail clipping

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:44 am

Theres a video on nail clipping. Its about desensitising buns. Its a long process, but it works! I had a bun that had a problem with his claws being done. I used to foster and rehome out of my own funds, and the girl that adopted him struggled to do his claws herself, so she did this and it worked wonders!

Id also say, if youre worried about cutting the quick, have some cornflour at hand or some styptic swabs/pencils to stop the bleeding. Shining a torch through the claw can also help to show up the quicks on darker claws.

Marley and Dolly had to have theirs done ever month when they came back from their year long holiday at Tuckerbunnies. They used to run on concrete, but hadnt for a year and I think their claws do grow more if they arent on it as often. Now theyre back on concrete, i havent done them for 8 weeks.

marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:28 pm

We take Holly to the vet every two months to have her teeth checked and she has a manicure if she needs it, whilst she is there. Holly needs two people when she is having hers done and we both have poor vision so the guineas are taken to the vet for their nails also.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBean Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm

That video was very interesting, thanks - what a good idea. Hopefully if I try it on this pair, they won't think I'm trying to pinch their pellets - these two are very possessive over their food!

Jo, I can understand why you go to the vets - not being able to see what you're doing well would be too much worry. Cadders (my guinea pig) has dark nails so I always play it safe on how much I snip.
GreenBean
GreenBean
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2014-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm

I have just booked my two in for next Monday to have a claw clipping. They were last done in November.

My two also seem to go longer in the summer months when they get outdoor playtime in our heavily paved garden...
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I work by sight with when to cut and how much. Flo has all dark nails, I work out that in general her front paws should not really show any nail when weight bearing so cut back to the fur lineish. Neither of my rabbits would do the sitting on the mat thing. Bruce is too rude and Flo just isn't that treat oriented. Flo us fairly tolerant of being tucked into the crook of my arm to be clipped, Bruce on the other hand hates his feet being touched and requires a degree of adaptability in approach.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down