Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :(

+13
The Snowman
Sparky
Father Jack
Tuckerbunnies
Big Ears
BugsBunny
bunny boy
KatieB
jolovesbunnies
c.bolduan
Sixer
FluffSlave
marleyNfriends
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :( Empty Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :(

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:17 pm

This is the second time in 7 weeks that Dolly has gone off her food.

The first time it seemed like it was gas, and she came around after some Infacol and Metacam and a few hours of being forced to move around and be poked in the face with all kinds of food.

Today I found her laid under the log tunnel, and she wasn't bothered about her breakfast, or anything I tried to give her. Somebun had done excess cecals, but both of them had clean bottys this morning, although it was Dolly last time. She kept hiding from me, so at least she had the energy to run away, but I could tell straight away she has lost weight. She used to be 1.3 something, and now she is 1.26. She has always been bigger than Marley, who is currently 1.4, and you can tell the difference between them straight away.

Anyway, she had Metacam, and I managed to get her eating and pooping again within 4 hours. Shes ok, but not her usual self. I have also noticed she is drinking more, and she gets like this when she needs a dental. Im going to pop her to the vets this week, hopefully tomorrow if I can get to see Ruth. Her last check was in July, and Honor (Maysies vet) said that they were perfect. She has had 3 dentals, all about 18 months apart, and her last one was around July 2013.

Fingers crossed its nothing too serious, and if she needs a dental, it all goes ok!

Does anyone think its worth investing in some of the Protexin Pro-fibre pellets? To help with the excess cecals? Also, what can I feed that has no risk of upsetting the gut, but will help her to gain weight? They are on a hay, pellet and dried forage diet, and rarely get other things. They have had more herbs lately, as Im looking after a bunny for someone whilst theyre in Australia, but its usually a treat.

Last edited by marleyNfriends on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:34 pm; edited 7 times in total
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :( Empty Re: Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :(

Post by FluffSlave Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Oh no, poor Dolly Sad

I can't offer any advice re: the feeding situation. I am currently trying to find ways to get some more weight onto Willow without upsetting her tummy. As soon as I give extra pellets her belly just goes! No

Sending lots of vibes your way Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :( Empty Re: Vibes for Dolly, please UD. Shes gone :(

Post by Sixer Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Hm scratch Is it excess caecals or is she just not eating any at all. I wouldn't have thought the diet she was on would cause excess caecals - what pellets are they eating? When we had Barney he produced masses of excess caecals on both Excel and Science Selective. That is why I now use Bunny Basics in the main as these didn't cause problems with Barney.

BJ is not eating all his caecals at the moment - I have stopped giving him the few SS pellets they were getting to see if this helps. Or it may be an arthritis issue as he is now at least 8 and a 1/2.

Could the increased drinking/loss of weight be kidney related?

I hope that you can work out what is going on and that it is nothing too serious xx
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Not eating ceacals in this warren down to spurs! Otherwise why wouldnt you if bunny?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Loads of vibes are on their way love and I hope she is back to her old self soon. the same for Willow and BJ.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:37 pm

How is she doing today hun... poor little dol-ster! it does sound like its those pesky teefs.

Sending nose rubs!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Loads of vibes for Dolly. Have you tried Fibafirst for the cecal issue - it always works wonders on the poo of my two.

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Not eating ceacals in this warren down to spurs! Otherwise why wouldnt you if bunny?

All kinds of reasons. Diet can be too rich, and they just don't bother, but they then miss out on important volatile fatty acids. Some foods can cause over production - Marley does if he has too much spring grass or greens. Obesity is a big factor, as is pain. Pain from the mouth, arthritis, or pain elsewhere Smile
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:Loads of vibes for Dolly. Have you tried Fibafirst for the cecal issue - it always works wonders on the poo of my two.

I've tried it in the past, during reduced motility, they ate them for a while and lost interest. However, as Sixer mentioned, it might not have been over production, and more that she just wasn't eating some of them. It depends who it was, as it wasn't clear, both buns were clean. If it was Marley, it was probably excess, caused by a little too much Kale that I gave as a treat, and perhaps shouldn't have. If it was Dolly, I think she was chasing not to eat them.

As it happens, she does have some spurs. I think them being away threw me a little. Dolly has had dentals Emin average, every 18 months, which would make her right on time. I just feel a bit bad for not noticing BEFORE she lost so much weight. ...as for the drinking, we questioned this once. Her bloods were fine, but she does drink more when she needs a dental. Im assuming to lubricate the mouth and relieve the pain a little, in the same way as excess salivating does.

She's going back on Wednesday for a dental.

ETA. Apologies for any typos. I started using my laptop but it has a virus and is on the go slow, so changed to my phone and it has a mind of its own!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Loads of vibes coming your way for Dolly's dental. Pesky bunny teeth Sad
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Top up vibes from here too love, rabbits teeth are such a nuisance to them and to us; I wonder how they get on in the wild.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 pm

Wishing Dolly a speedy and smooth recovery Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Oh Im hopeless. I cant believe I didnt update this before now. Ive not been feeling very well, so have been trying, and failing to take it easy. She bounced back from her dental, and tucked straight in to her hay when she got home, but not before doing a huge pee on the kitchen floor!

...Unfortunately, unless its her tooth roots, that doesnt seem to be the main issue. She was off her food again today, and had reduced motility. Managed to get her eating again before I gave her Metacam, but she didnt poo all day. She finally pooped a couple of hours ago after I had taken her to the vet.

Weve treated symptoms tonight and keeping an eye on her. She mad metaclop and metacam at the vets. They wanted to give vetergesic, but I just asked for metacam, given that she hadnt had any today, and had already started to eat. I didnt want her to become drowsy and stop eating again. Ive kept them both in for the night with the radiator off. Id like to think that its taking her a long time to get over her dental, but given that she came home and tucked in to her hay, i doubt this is the issue. If it happens again, no doubt I will be asking for repeat bloods. The vet did say that this would be the next step, as well as x-rays. In the meantime, i have plenty of Metacam, Zantac and recovery sachets! Im not going to syringe feed her while shes eating, but may offer her it in a bowl. Im going to continue to weigh her weekly, in the hope that she isnt continuing to lose weight.

...how likely is it that this horrible cold weather is just really upsetting her?
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Loads of hugs for you & nose rubs for Dolly
Love Judy
bunny boy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:45 am

I am so sorry she is off hun and sending mega mega vibes for her.

I have not much to offer in advice other than getting her into the vets which you are doing. I think Vanessa might be onto something, maybe she is not eating them.

Hugs to you Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs .
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Not sure about the cold weather but I think I would be definitely going for blood tests. I hope you get some answers - it is so difficult when you don't know what is going on.

Spring was off on Sunday - typically the weekend. However after a dose of metacam she had picked up within a couple of hours. There was a splat in the litter tray later that evening so I am guessing she had tummy ache. I just wish bunny tummies weren't such an issue.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Oh no, poor you and Dolly! Sad

I am sending vibes that you get to the bottom of this, and that both of you are feeling better soon Hugs

Keep us updated xx
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 pm

I think you need some hugs too hun, so I am sending loads and loads to you and Dolly. I so hope you are feeling better.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I think an Xray of her jaw sounds is a good idea hun. Something is hurting her I think, as she is responding to the metacam.

Im sending you hugs babe, I know you don't need this right now.....
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:02 am

Update for this morning...

...this flea issue I mentioned in another post. She didnt have fleas before her dental, but she deffinitley does now! I had no choice but to treat them for it yesterday, as it wasnt going to make her feel any better! Cleaning the litter tray, and one jumped out of the bin bag on to the lino!! Shocked Then when I was syringe feeding her that afternoon, one went on my dressing gown!! *shudders* As they were in my room, i had no choice but to move them to the outside toilet. I couldnt keep them in much longer without them starting to shed their winter coat anyway, so its a half way house, as the loo is inside a wooden framed brick lean to thing. I cant flaming believe it!!

Anyway, I think im going to have to move Marley back to the shed, as hes looking miserable too, although he is eating, hes not happy where he is. I cant properly monitor her pooping while theyre together either. Im pretty confident that their bond wont break, and if it did, they would rebond pretty easily. Im at a loss really.

While she was picking at herbs when hand fed yesterday, she passed a few poops around lunch time. This morning, were back to square 1. When her meds kick in, she will pick at herbs, but after a while stops again. I got 30ml recovery in to her, but she wasnt interested in eating anything.

Im thinking about clearing the cage and gutting the bedroom (again), checking on her again, and then calling the vets. Im thinking about asking for x-rays, but I have an awful feeling they wont do them now until Monday.

Shes obviously in pain somewhere, but where I have no idea. If shes in pain, the bloods can be really hard to determine, anyway, but if she has to have a GA for her X-rays, she may as well have bloods too. Im worried about the GA with her not eating properly though!
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 am

I can understand why you are worried Hun. Is she on meta am twice a day?

Sending you done hugs x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:47 pm

How are things today sweets?

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Sending loads of vibes to Dolly Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Vibes for Dolly! Hugs for Sophia! Not sure what to send to the fleas?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:02 am

She was on Metacam and Zantac twice a day. I ended up taking her to work as couldn't speak to a vet from their usual practice, and i couldn't make an appointment with the reassurance that they will take an xray. She has a lot of gas build up, her tummy is very doughy, but it's not as severe as true bloat. We're hoping it's a very bad bout of stasis.

Rather than leave her at work where there is nobody over night, I have her here at home on IV fluids, metacam, zantac, vetergesic  (tried to avoid due to drowsiness, but it does seem to have helped) and emeprid. I'm syringe feeding her every 3  hours too. Thankfully her unwanted hitchhikers are now dead so she is back in my room, as she's currently too poorly to be outside. Her glucose was 14, so quite high, but not too worrying considering she was also stressed. It certainly doesn't indicate a need for surgery, at this point. Will recheck tomorrow.

No improvement, will probably have more detailed xrays done of skull, spine, abdo, legs etc. We didn't want to knock her out today though, so did a conscious xray just for a general idea of what was going on. If it continues, she may be referred to Jaqui Pattersons.

...so lots of vibes needed that we can shift this gas, and get her eating again. At present, my vet thinks she has 50:50 chance....but at least we now have a clear plan.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next