Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 13238
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Henry O'Shaughnessy

Post by woodwench on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Judy! Yes there are different types of mites that affect rabbits. Just click on this

and you will learn more. It's pretty easy to tell when your bun has an infestation of any kind as their scratching and grooming will become excessive and even aggressive, often localised.

Hi, Thumper!

Hi, all!

To continue with Henry's story: The last spot of the Ivomectin treatment had been administered (by popping him in his travel box, putting the box in the bath and removing the top so I could have him well contained to put the drops on his neck). I had cleaned the crate and pen and opened up one section of the pen so that he could hop out whenever he was ready. I had my camcorder ready and let him back into the crate.
It took him approx. one minute to find his way out. He paused only to check out what I had been up to with his gear before sticking his nose through the gap. Then he was out and life for us both would never be the same again!
He proceeded as most buns would, at full stretch on tip toes, both ears forward and nose a twitch. He couldn't sniff quick enough and I was in a flap trying to keep the camera on him and stay alert for potential disasters and tooth-attacks. But Henners is a good bun (generally) and his teeth stayed covered by his gorgeous lips.
Everything HAD to be chinned of course and I thought he would surely have a sore chin the amount of rubbing it did. He investigated under and behind, on top of and inside of EVERYTHING and my rabbit doorstop and the front door curtain held special attraction. Then he flitted into the sitting room, the room where most damage could be done and where I was becoming increasingly nervous with every step.
My sitting has a limited amount of bunny proofing (the TV ariel and cables only); my lap top and stereo are both reliant upon height to safe guard their leads; they had been well out of Loll's reach but Henners stands about two and half foot tall on his hinders. Yet even more important to me than the cables are my books. There is several grands worth of rare books on my library shelves and I began panicking in earnest when he approached that wall wondering if I had moved all the most precious books to the upper shelves. But he merely sniffed a spine or two in passing and hopped on. What intrigued him most were the glass doors on the bookcase where I store my DVDs. These doors came in for lots of nudging, butting, pawing and licking (they still do, he is slightly obsessed with them).
He had a good roam around for over an hour and then took himself back into his crate to use his tray. I deftly shut the panel on him. He was quite content to chomp hay and relax for the rest of the day and I was very pleased with how he had shaped up on his first outing. The next day he had another, longer outing and that was just as successful ... only when I shut him in again he objected!
More about the Freeing of Henners later.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3591
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:31 pm

He sounds just like Bunny 2 seconds after he was in the house, he was out of his pen exploring & chinning, hope to see the videos, would also like to read your stories & poems
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Glad up hear he was so well behaved.... Lulling you into a false sense of security surely xxx

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Yessa, this is a intriguing bunny story. Is he still well behaved. I'm open for any suggestions how I could educate Bubbles.Laughing

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Thank you for thr web site I've got lots to learn
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:30 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying the 'Adventures of Henry' story. I am so happy for you both and wish you many years of happiness and joy together. I am a real sucker for happy endings for bunnies Very Happy
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Henners second exploration lasted somewhat longer than the first ... in fact it's still in progress. I let him out and again watched anxiously as he set off to explore. He spent an inordinate amount of time saying "Hello!" to my model buns in the sitting room. I am a great one for trying to get inside a rabbits head and watching him with my life size model family I couldn't help but wonder if he thought they were past pets that I had put a spell on.
Then he discovered the kindling set out on the hearth to light the fire for the evening. He was digging in that within seconds: of course there was a stick he MUST chin and it was right at the bottom of the heap. Scrunched balls of paper and kindling were flying and he was HAPPY!
Then he beetled off behind my desk and the curtains began to dance! I love my desk in front of the window so that I can look out into the wood should I ever hit a writers block. The curtains are just long enough to tickle the ears of an exploring bun and that kind of molestation has to be punished. What started as a gentle waltz type dance soon became a vigorous flamenco! I grabbed my back scratcher and leant over the desk and poked him up the scut end. He scooted. Next moment he was throwing the wooden eggs out of their dish on my corner unit. Eggs are ideal wobbly balls and because I yelled "Sugar off, Henners!" they became instantly doubly attractive.
I rescued the eggs and turned round to see him disappearing into the shadowy corner alongside the DVD bookcase. Within seconds there was a clatter and he reappeared with a cuddly bunny and a can of marbles following him. They had been on the second shelf of the library shelves. There was no lid on the can and marbles rolled everywhere. Henners fled the scene!
It's all a matter of getting to know each other. I have had three house rabbits and all were different. Clawed was a no nonsense, bossy doe who ruled us all; Riley was a dozy lump who loved nothing more that toast at tea time and sleeping; Loll had been a feisty, independent chap who belted around like souped up mini rally car and performed the most astonishing flying binkies. All different but with one thing in common: they were all very good houserabbits. No chewed furniture, dug up carpets, chewed woodwork or damaged décor. Clawed could never spare the time to damage things, she was too busy bossing Misty, my border collie. Riley was just too damned lazy to be destructive and Loll was too energetic to stop and chew.
So at the start of his second outing I could see that Henners wasn't going to be quite like any houserabbit to date. I was soon proved right. After a couple of hours of intensive investigations he headed off back to spend a penny and I watched as, in true rabbit fashion, he munched hay as he performed. Thinking he would probably have had enough exploring and would settle for his afternoon nap (he is three after all) I closed up the pen and tied the section back in place on the crate. Making myself a drink I went back to the sitting room to clear up the marbles. They were hardly back in their tin, and I was still squatted down doing a last search for strays, when I was butted unceremoniously up the rear!
How the devil had he got out?
The bottom string securing the pen to the crate hung uselessly ... don't ask me how, but he had untied it! Not chewed it, untied it! Now it might be easy to say I'd missed tying it but that bottom tie was a fiddly one and I remembered struggling with it; I had secured it ... or thought I had.
So.... if the little devil was going to be an escapologist there was no point in fastening him in again. I removed that section of the pen and, checking and double checking there was nothing I would mourn should he destroy it, I let fate take over and left him to free roam. Mind, I shut him in the dining room at night.

Next time: Henner's meets the telephone engineer ... again!
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Loving it. Can't wait for the next instalment Thumbs Up
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:20 pm

This has really made me laugh and brightened my afternoon !

KatieB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Ha ha, think you have a brainy bunny love.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11473
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Love it! Hennessy go....!!!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:16 am

My hubby is working tonight, just Bun & I,  & I'm laughing so hard, seeing this happening, can't wait for the rest. Bunny scaled a 5 foot pen, came in the bedroom, where we were just about to go to bed &  where he's not allowed, then he had great fun avoiding us while we were trying to get him out , he knows he's not allowed which made it even more fun
Hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Judy: Never underestimate the psychic powers of a rabbit; they can read your thoughts from a mile away. And like Boy Scouts, they are always prepared ... prepared to take full advantage of their cuteness and your susceptibility to it; they will revel in making you look stupid!

Now, about Henry and the telephone engineer ....
They first met a couple of weeks after Henners came home and it was a very one sided relationship to begin with. The engineer was definitely more interested in trying to cure what was a long standing problem with my phone/broadband and though he was scrunched into a narrow-ish gap beside Henry's pen he was too busy working to notice its occupant. The occupant, however, was very interested in the engineer and especially the bright blue plastic protectors he had put on over his shoes.
I had clocked my buns interest in the engineer's footwear but was really more interested in whether or not the guy was about to tell me the fault was in my socket and therefore my responsibility, proceeding to charge me £80 for that privileged piece of info.. I didn't notice Henners reaching his muzzle through the bars of the pen, nor did I see his tushes make contact with the man's apparel. It was only when the engineer attempted to reposition himself that both he and I became aware of Henry hanging onto his shoe protector. The little sod had seized hold of the elasticated top of the protector and when the engineer tried to shuffle away he hung on and brought both front paws in to play in a somewhat futile attempt to scratch through the bars.
How do you apologise for the behaviour of a semi wild beast you have caged in your dining room? Luckily the chap laughed it off and when Henners sat up and reached his nose out for a rub he gladly obliged him.
That was their first meeting.
Henry was free roaming when the engineer returned the week after Christmas. Once more, for the fourth time, he went through the routine of testing the line from the pole in the village down to the house and once more he couldn't definitely say where the fault lay so he came in to check my socket again. The first thing he did was mention that the pen was gone. The crate was (and still is) insitu  and Henry was enthroned on his litter tray busily doing what comes naturally. The engineer spotted him just as Henners appeared to recognise his old chum and there was an affable laugh from the engineer as Henners leaped out of the tray, megazorb and poops flying in his wake. There was a big reunion with much weaving and butting from Henry and some bemused and vain attempts at fussing from the engineer who couldn't seem to pin his mate down to stroke him. Then it seemed Henry remembered the fine selection of oat, wheat and barley hay that needed eating and abandoned the man to his work.
The engineer was on his knees and absorbed in the mechanics within the socket and trying to figure out just what the Hell was going on with my phone line. I had gone to get a dust pan and brush to clean up the poop-azorb when it happened .... There was the familiar rattle of Henry hopping out of his tray onto the floor of the crate and then the startled yell of the engineer as one adoring (not necessarily adorable) lump of grey rabbit landed square on his back.
Now I must give the guy his due, he didn't rear up in alarm and buck the poor buck off. He managed to stay down on knees and elbows and even retained that somewhat undignified position has Henry began digging at his collar and trying to snuffle down the back of his neck. I was horrified. My rabbit was a mugger! A hooligan! A downright terror. And he was not happy when I lifted him off, his toes were wide spread and his whiskers all aquiver. I hastily thrust him in the crate and slammed the door shut and began apologising profusely. I'd never apologised so much and so earnestly since the time I'd accidently bit my dentist.
The engineer was laughing!
I'm sure, in his position, I wouldn't have laughed. I would have been complaining bitterly about scratches to my back, the risk of a coronary ... even the risk of rabies! But this lovely man laughed it off and openly announced his admiration for Henry.
He was besotted and, when the job was over and the problem finally solved, he insisted on having a cuddle with the delinquent before leaving.
I watched him put on his coat and thought he might not be so enamoured of dear Henners when he got back in his van and the heater warmed things up ... then he might catch a whiff of the damp bunny-pee patch on his back!

Next time: New Years Eve and the Vets.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Ha,hahaha....
Oh marvellous that's the risk when you visit people's home. I hope he realised the wet patch and laundered hs coat. If not he might still be driving about wondering where this distinctive see of I don't know what it is would appear from. Bless him
Vernon will take chance and sit on my back whilst I'm on all four to clean or retrieve some hidden items. He parachutes and takes a good look around, hops off and gives me a nose kiss. Good bunny!
Please keep going with the story, I so enjoy it.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 pm

Vernon sounds adorable. If I am lying on my side at night, Holly will balance on me and stay there for ages.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11473
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:52 pm

OMG this has made me laugh out loud! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KatieB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Bunnies bronco riding ... that's what it looked like when Henners was on the engineer's back. I didn't realise he had peed on him until he was putting his coat on to leave and I saw the wet patch on his overalls.

I remember way back, when my beloved Clawed used to join me for a snooze on the hearth rug. She would root her way up under my Tee shirt to lie against my bare back.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:16 am

The phone guy might be wondering why he's got a long line of bunnys following him🤣

Hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 am

Thank you for your reply to my request:dance:
Hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:44 pm

Judy: OK.

Well, time now to cover Henners first major vet visit.
He was not impressed to say the least. And, really I can't say I blame him; I was being an over anxious mum of the worst kind.
Henry had been free roaming for just over three weeks, he still had  (still has) the crate as his base where his litter tray is and where, should the need arise, I can shut him safe out of harms way. He had settled in remarkably well and there was nothing he seemed to be afraid of. His routine was established on day one: Burgess brekkie at 8-30am, greens at 1-30pm, toast treat at 4pm and burgess supper at 8-30pm (hay of five kinds always on tap); litter tray cleaning and crate tidying at noon everyday and water refreshing at breakfast and supper. The rest of the day/night was his to do with as he pleased. And what he loved doing more than anything was foraging in his box!
I had set up the forage box as soon as I'd scrapped the pen and it was an instant and resounding hit. Amongst the scrunched up paper and tubes I would secrete dried dandelion and plantain, broken crumbs of fenugreek crunchers, bark and some of his daily allotment of burgess. As soon as I had set the box up he would charge.... and Henry charging is a sight to behold. He is so fast and seems to be everywhere at once; trying to put the box down without it landing on top of him is nigh on impossible. He would lunge and leap and land with a crash in the centre of the box and I believe he was digging before his paws touched down.
I expect you are wondering what the forage box had to do with his vet trip on New Years Eve? No, I didn't drop it on him ... read on ...
There had been a marked shrinkage in poop size after Christmas and I noticed there wasn't a lot of hay in them. The hay pile wasn't shrinking as normal. Then I noticed he had a slight wetness at the lower corner of his left eye.  So I did the maths ... spurs diagnosed on the day I got him, lessening of interest in hay, smaller poops, eye discharge ... it all added up to DENTAL!
And isn't it typical that he should need treatment on a Bank Holiday?
It was mid-morning but I was straight onto the vet and the Pet Taxi, hoping I could get him checked out. It transpired that both vet and taxi were available and I conned Henners into his travel box and ten minutes later we were enroute.
Richard (the boss vet with the soft voice and South African accent) tried to get a look at an outraged Henry's teeth ... and failed. But he listened to my "maths" and agreed it seemed plausible, especially with the runny eye. So we agreed he would sedate him and check his teeth and flush his tear duct. Worried that it was going to be his first dental of many I asked for an X-ray to be done for the records though Richard did try to tell me it wasn't really that important ... but, hey, it was only my pension I was spending ...
It was 11am; I went home. leaving my boy draped in the vets arms and I admit I did think to myself (but only for a fleeting second) that I should never have got him ... it was actually the pension thinking, not me!
I got the call from Richard at 12-45pm and he gave me the results. The spurs Wendy had seen on his first visit had gone, worn away by a good hay diet. One tooth was a tad sharp but it wasn't affecting him in any way; he doubted Henry would require another dental in the foreseeable future. His tear duct had been flushed and he was certain, given a day or two, that he would be fine. The X-rays were those of a normal rabbit (is there any such thing?). We discussed what was causing the poop changes. I told him the only thing different in his feeding was the addition of the forage box. We discussed that in depth and he suggested I bin the box, or only put it down occasionally as a treat. He thought Henry was becoming obsessed with the box and favouring it over his hay.
Richard was right. I ditched the box (it comes out once in a while) and scattered his dried herbs on his burgess. Within days I was once again the proud owner of a fully operational poop machine producing the most gloriously magnificent golden poops. I was also £114 lighter in my bank account!
And Henners? Well he arrived home from the vet in the pet taxi to be met by his overwrought mum. He was a bit woozy and wobbly but fit enough to glare at me! I cuddled him on the hearth rug and whispered silly things in his ears.
An hour or so later I decided to syringe him some Critical Care. He was very happy to be wrapped in the towel and placed on the work top. He obligingly opened his mouth; rather too obligingly when I think back, and he slurped a full syringe of CC then, just as I was offering up a second helping he ERUPTED!
I was taken completely by surprise; he leaped, squirmed, flipped, wriggled and scratched! I now have three four inch long parallel scars down my right forearm that look like they are in no hurry to ever fade away.
I managed to keep some kind of a hold on him until his paws hit the floor then he was away (with the occasional wobble). I swore after him and set about dressing my arm. When I was bandaged up and somewhat calmer I went in search of him. He was happily ensconced in his litter tray, CC splattered about his ears and a two foot long stalk of wheat hay wending its way down his throat. I grunted to him in passing and left him to it. Some twenty minutes later he hopped into the sitting room and glared at me in passing. I glared back.
We didn't really relish Auld Lang Syne!

Next: Henners and the hoover!
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:29 pm

loving the adventures of Henry!
The Snowman