Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Henry O'Shaughnessy

Post by woodwench on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 pm

I don't know about you but hoovers and rabbits seem to be a poor mix in this house. Like plastic carrier bags, all my rabbits have been scared of hoovers. Clawed would try hide her nervousness and attempt to out stare it, but always from the other side of the room and we would work our way round keeping equidistance between us. Riley always disappeared when the hoover started up; it was the only time he moved out of crawler gear and shifted his scut a bit smartish. Loll would keep one hop ahead at all times and cast scathing glances at me as he did so.
Now there's Henry!
Every time I've brought a rabbit indoors I've always been especially careful of certain things like scents and noises, draughts/temperature and lighting. There are any number of strong smelling things around the home, and I try to avoid strong smelling things like toilet cleaning products and bleaches, polish and oven cleaners etc for as long as possible and then use minimal amounts to begin with.  I'm not a radio person but I do like occasional sessions with my music so if I put a cd on I use my headphones or keep the volume very low; the TV sound is turned to 8 or 9 and the first time I use the hoover it's in the room furthest away from bun. I try to be considerate of their sensitive senses. And so I was with Henry; I was careful and watched his reactions closely for any sign of fear.
The only thing he showed any interest in was the ping of the microwave and then it was only a flick of one ear. The washing machine never bothered him. Plastic bags carry food and therefore are GOOD! The TV is in the sitting room and he was in the dining room for the first few weeks but the sound of it seemed to go unnoticed.
He really did settle remarkably quickly and accepted everything without fuss.
After a week I had to bring in the hoover; the dustpan and broom just weren't cutting it any more. So I started upstairs and worked my way through the house until only the dining room was left. As I have a rather noisy upright hoover I decided to use the hose and brush and get down low so he wouldn't be startled by the machine advancing in front of me, it would be following behind.
Working my way form the hearth rug I came alongside the pen and there he was: alert and bouncy the other side of the panel. He followed me round all four sides of pen and crate making little rushes and occasionally rearing up on his hinders. He seemed very interested which amused me and made me kind of proud ... My Brave Boy!!
That's how it was until he became a free roamer!
The first time I got out the hoover I decided to do which ever room Henners wasn't in. I'd do the dining room when he was in the sitting room having his afternoon siesta by the fire, or the sitting room while he was scoffing his greens. That was the plan and it seemed like a good one. I knew Henners wasn't scared of the hoover and I didn't want anything to happen to change that. So I hauled the hoover into the sitting room, moving nonchalantly past him as he ripped into a chunk of broccoli.
Now between my dining room and sitting room there's a small 4' X 3' passage and I thought I'd hoover that first.
My gawd, he arrived like Schumacher in a hurry!
I'd hardly pushed the start button when he launched himself full onto the body of the hoover. I shrieked, he slid off, paws scrabbling, and began immediately to scratch and claw at it like it was some mutant Dalek he was intent upon killing. I was completely thrown. I'd never seen the like before and I switched off the hoover and tried to ease him away. But when Henners makes up his mind to something it's not easy to unmake it. Yet the machines silence seemed to eventually make an impression and he calmed down and took to sniffing it and chinning it. Watching him I smiled and praised him for being a good boy and not being so silly. I quickly unplugged the hoover and decided to leave the two of them to get acquainted and went to do some polishing. I thought he would soon lose interest and leave the hoover alone and I would be able, with any luck to finish cleaning.
Maybe five minutes later I returned to the hoover.
Henners had gone back to his broccoli.
The hoover stood forlorn within a pool of pee!
Little sod, now I have to make sure doors are shut and he is on the opposite side to the hoover when I want to clean ... he still attacks it! The last time I left it unattended I returned to catch a brief glimpse of him attempting to hump it!!
What's with this rabbit?

Next time: Henners and the mouse behind the skirting.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3558
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Henners has certainly turned your life up side down,
 Bunny stands guard in front of his things & he gets this stance, as he glares at the hoover that say, don't you dare cross this line. Can hardy wait for Henners antics with the hoovers, l have sore sides already
Hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Weird, my  massage came in after your, but I wrote it before  don't know
Hugs   Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:41 am

No hoovers or any other tools that are  noisy things rubbing over the ground are not welcome! In Vernons world at least.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:24 pm

This is an old house, it was built in 1862, and it has lots of the quirks associated with properties of its age. Floor boards creak, water pipes knock and gurgle, doors fit when they feel inclined to do so, the rest of the time they stick, squeak and rattle; widows likewise. But that's the way I like it, it's what I grew up with and is has much apart of me as the mixed woodland that secretes us from the world at large. And another vital ingredient of its magic is the abundance of wildlife that visits daily, and nightly. My garden welcomes hares, rabbits, badgers, foxes, squirrels and even the occasional otter as well as many woodland and farmland birds. The seasons see the number of visitors fluctuate with autumn and winter being the most popular. During these colder times I am aware of small visitors in both the false roof and behind the skirting boards of those rooms with wooden floors. House mice and wood mice invariably move in for the winter and they appear to hold the most uproarious parties at the drop of a hat!
A quite evening with a good book by the fire can turn into a rowdy free-for-all with squeaking, squealing mice thundering along three sides of the room in the security of the tunnels behind the skirtings. One mouse is noisy enough but I host families and they all compete for the title of Neighbour from Hell.
Loll was the first of my pets to pay any real heed to the wild stampedes, but his interest was minimal compered to Henry's. Loll would hop one notch above sedately beside the skirting, his ears pricked, whiskers aquiver and if there was a sudden halt, silence or attempt at wood nibbling he would approach the point of activity and curiously sniff and snuffle, never, for one moment, losing his dignity by a display of the kind Henry puts on on a regular basis.
Henry only has to hear a soft mousey whisper to enter Terminator Mode.
His ears ***** and swivel like radar saucers, his whiskers bristle and his every muscle tenses. He stretches his body and rises onto tip toe and stalks close to where the sound originates. There is a growing tension and I wait for what I know is coming ... yet he always takes me by surprise.
It's like a cannon firing, that double pawed stamp on a wooden floor. It always gets me. But there's no time to dwell on the shock of it because he's off. Lunging into a mad dash he flings himself at the skirting and thuds against it. This bunny battering results in a rapid fire scurry of paws from the other side of the skirting ... the chase is on!
Wherever Henners can he makes contact with the skirting either slamming it or pawing it and in the two areas where skirting access is denied him he leaps ahead to wait for the mouse at the next straight. If the mouse stops there is immediate stamping and if the mouse should pause behind an inaccessible section then that stamping is prolonged and impatient. Back and forth they go ... along, across and down and back again and again and again! The mouse usually retires to its nest after about six or seven laps and peace descends until the next evening but it is quite obvious that Henry enjoys this race, this match of wits, for he will often go and sniff around the corner where I believe the mouse enters the tunnel, hoping for a game.

Henners may quite like the games with the mouse but there is one visitor who really gets right up his cute little nose.... Next time meet Cyril.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:31 am

Henners must keep you in stitches,  he does me, what a joy he is, I hope you will put the Adventures of Henners in a book, I' m sure it would be a best seller, look forward to the next adventure
Hugs  Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:54 am

Was with all these tales I'm say chuckling as I read it! He sure is an amazing little lad not to mention fearless! Well done him for standing up to the beastly Hoover.... I'm sure it knows it's place now that it has been pee'd on!

And as for the mouse .... You can imagine them discussing which one will go and wind up the crazy rabbit tonight !

KatieB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:52 pm

He sounds so much fun and a pleasure to have around hun.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11445
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Regardless of gender they are all called Cyril!
There are, I believe, twenty-two of them and I have a love-hate relationship with them. At times I scream at them and at others I laugh. I spend a fortune feeding them and yet on a daily basis I threaten to get the air gun out and shoot every last one of them.
Guessed what they are yet?
Some of you will have done, I'm sure.
They are squirrels. The grey variety and the boldest, cheekiest, greediest and most cunning and destructive little devils in the wood. They raid my bird feeders and wreck the feeders to get at the grub. I regularly have to go hunting for a stolen feeder and daily repairs are an essential chore. I buy sacks of peanuts to scatter around the garden in an attempt to keep them away from the feeders for an hour or two, to give the starving birds a chance to eat at the feeders.
Each morning I head out to fill up feeders and water dishes and there they are, twenty plus Cyrils lined up under the hedge, chattering and swearing and bouncing on their forepaws like the New Zealand Rugby team psyching up for a match.
I have one feeder pole close to the sitting room widow where I have my desk so I can watch the birds. Cyril has an access route to this pole that means a quick frisk up the honeysuckle on the front porch, a short drop onto the window sill and a leap onto the pole. A fast but very noisy trip.
When all the morning food has gone I have squirrels at the windows demanding seconds. At both the sitting room windows and the front dining room window scores of dirty paw marks bear witness to these demands but it isn't the dirty windows, or the drain on my purse that bothers Henry. It is the persistence of one particular squirrel in his visits to the dining room window.
When Henners first came to live here I soon discovered he really loves that special moment every morning when I open the curtains on the south-east facing dining room window. If it's a grand sunny morning the sun streams in straight on him and he rockets into a scoot round the room executing joyous binkies and bumping me with his nose to get me to join in. This had become a daily event until the morning a Cyril appeared. I had drawn back the curtains and was turning to watch Henners display when there was a scratching, hammering sort of noise at the window and there he was, reared up on his hinders, front paws pattering at the pane and his big hungry eyes glaring his demand for food!
Henry was dumb struck. His ears thrust forward, tuning into the drumming of the paws and then he saw the perpetrator of the assault and he too reared up on his hinders and his body language spoke volumes! He was outraged; how dare that THING with the stumpy ears and overgrown scut encroach on his special morning moment!
Thank goodness that squirrel doesn't appear at the window every morning when I open the curtains, but Henry always watches for him pausing a moment before showing his own appreciation of the new day; and when food supplies have run out and the midday siege begins Henners charges from room to room rearing up the better to see the Cyrils at the windows. He stamps and grunts at them and makes it very clear what he would do if only he could get at them.
Poor rabbit. Mice by night, squirrels by day and him the only defender of hearth and home! It's a hard life....

I guess that brings everyone up to date on the doings of Henry O'Shaughnessy. He has been with me nearly three months now and there's rarely a dull moment. He's a good buck, he doesn't dig rugs and carpets, chew furniture or wood work and so far he has left my books alone. He is clean (despite his scenting the telephone engineer and the hoover) and he would gladly enter the English Hay Eating Olympic team. He does have a few little peccadillos ... but don't we all? I love his friendly companionship of an evening and his great love of life, so evident in things like his morning rejoicing and his funny little binky dance. I expect there will be more crazy happenings in this buns life, especially as spring approaches and I begin planning an outdoor enclosure for him.
Tomorrow is another day and one I look forward to, thanks to Henners.

Last edited by woodwench on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:32 pm

What a tribute, thanks for sharing all those moments and putting them in such a nicely written style. And who knows there may be more to come in future days.Very Happy

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 pm

What wonderful tales... Have enjoyed each and every one... brought to life in such a happy way! Thank you Dee :-)

Henners sounds like he has filled your home with his huge personality.... thank goodness he is there to protect you from all of the ....well... nature... or who knows where you would be. hahahahahaha

KatieB
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 pm

I wish I had the time to read this thread all the way through Sad But I have "met" Henners already Wink

It's great to see you posting again, Dee Very Happy
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 13220
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:25 am

Thumper2001 wrote:I wish I had the time to read this thread all the way through Sad But I have "met" Henners already Wink

Thumper not so long ago you were asking for good short stories. Follow Heeners on his path and you got some. You could even read them to the boy. Bunny education shall start early Laughing

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you.
Henry is a larger than life bun and in many ways he reminds me of my beloved Clawed, another grey rabbit with character and attitude.
I'm a great believer in fate and fate has been kind to me bringing Clawed, Misty (my remarkable border collie) Sylph (my much missed wild muntjac friend) and now Henry into my life. Henry was four months in the rescue waiting for a home, waiting from our first meeting for me to get my head, heart and act together. I find it hard to believe no one else recognised what a wonderful bun he is; fate surly blinkered them.
I know having a one-to-one relationship can bring out the best (and perhaps, in some cases, also the worst) in both parties and I guess that is what is happening with Henry and I ... we bring out the best in each other. We appear to be on the same wavelength and understand each other pretty well. He comes when called, joins in my happy moments, appears to sympathise when I'm down, and we have developed a mutual trust that underlines every aspect of our relationship. No relationship, human-human or human-animal can survive in happiness and stability without a core of trust and Henry and I have found mutual trust.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm

What a great idea CB love make it into a story. Holly is like that, she seems to know when I am under the weather.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11445
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 pm

c.bolduan wrote:
Thumper2001 wrote:I wish I had the time to read this thread all the way through Sad But I have "met" Henners already Wink

Thumper not so long ago you were asking for good short stories. Follow Heeners on his path and you got some. You could even read them to the boy. Bunny education shall start early Laughing
Haha very true! That was before I went back to work and OH went away tho Wink Smile
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 13220
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top