Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moulting?

+4
KatieB
marleyNfriends
c.bolduan
The Snowman
8 posters

Go down

Moulting? Empty Moulting?

Post by The Snowman Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:48 am

Seb is his usual happy charming self... but I think he is moulting or changing coat?? Firstly, he had a small darker grey patch on his back which has now increased and more of his fur is a darker grey. Today I noticed he has lost a little patch of fur on his head so its shorter than the fur that surrounds it. Would this just be down to moulting and getting a new coat?? He has been gently groomed with a little soft rabbit brush and a small amount of fur can be seen on the brush, nothing major.. Its so cold, seems weird to lose fur?? Everything else is as it should be!
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Moulting? Empty Re: Moulting?

Post by c.bolduan Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:24 pm

All of mine are moulting at the moment. It usually starts on the back and bum area to work it self toward the head. 
They can moult 3-4 times a year and will shed all the fur. Grooming should be down daily. Soft bristle brush an a comb are fine. I personally use a soft cat zoom groom first, then comb, brush and finish with a special groom mitten that I got from cats protection league. All love it except of Bubbles which needs treats to encourage her to stay still.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by marleyNfriends Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Mine are starting to moult now too. You get some crazy patterns and lines Laughing I love Marleys summer colour, he's a beautiful sable colour. They aren't in heavy moult yet, but Dolly is losing her winter coat after being inside so much over the last week, and it's a little too early. This is why they say not to bring outdoor buns in for too long or too often in winter. Unfortunately, i've had no choice.
marleyNfriends
marleyNfriends
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4163
Registration date : 2011-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Yep moulting here too.

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Moulting here too!
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Bunny seems to moult or shed ( is there a difference ) every couple of weeks is that normal for a house bunny?
bunny boy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snowman Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Phew...  it seems Seb is just doing normal bunny things then! Thanks All x
The Snowman
The Snowman
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes, Henners is at it!
I noticed a moulting stripe across his nose a couple of weeks ago and now there is a ghost rabbit on the hearth rug every morning. He's just getting into his shedding stride and I'm dreading it as his coat is so fine, thick and fluffy. I think, judging by the texture of his coat and the magnificence of his tall, broad ears, that he is a cross bred French lop.
With him having spent the autumn outdoors at the rescue he had grown a beautiful thick coat for winter .... Now it has to GO!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm

Having very short fur Holly doesn't seem to moult very much but I have seen a couple of clumps of hair sticking out which I have removed.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Arabella is not moulting much really, just shedding a bit but I can see that she is getting a pattern at the back end so think she is due one. Especially with being from outdoors to in. I have managed to zoom groom her twice for 5 mins and will do some more tomorrow. She is doing well, getting her used to it at the moment.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Henners has gone into moult overdrive! I got up this morning and enjoyed our usual mad greeting but was suddenly brought up short when I finally got a good look at his face.
He had a whacking great lump under each eye!
Panicking I rushed to change my specs (I changed from bifocals to separate readers and distance specs last autumn ... big mistake) to get a closer look at what was going on.
I felt a right nana when I realised that his moulting stripe had surged up over his muzzle and overnight had progressed onto his cheeks and these threatening lumps were actually no more than the spot below each eye where new fur meets old.
His coat is really deep ... nearly 3/4 of an inch on his head difference twixt old and new and his face looks like being a dark, steely grey when it is finally revealed in all its handsomeness. I love how grey rabbits can vary so through the seasons. He is a beautiful silver grey through to pearly white at present but in a couple of months ...?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down