Henry and the Irishman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Henry and the Irishman

Post by woodwench on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Just when things looked like they were quietening down here, and I was starting to recover from a five week battle with my winter nemesis (a sinusitis, rhinitis, tonsillitis combination that lays me suicidaly low), the power line people came along to install new power lines to the cottage. They arrived at 8am this morning, three men with hard hats saws, spades and shovels and one of those cute mini diggers.
It's approximately, but not quite, sixty years since my home was connected to the National Grid and back then I found it a very exciting event. I'm older and wiser now and it's me who has to clear up all the mess afterwards. So being informed that my existing overhead line is being replaced by an underground one wasn't what I really wanted, or needed, to hear. I walked the route the cable would take with the engineers, two charming Irishmen and another young chap whose accent was quite lost on me. The line runs from a pole on the edge of the wood at the rear of the cottage through the wood and across about sixty feet of my lawn and flower beds. This disruption is just what I need after finally getting the garden under control and arranged to my liking. It had rather gone to pot over the time I had problems with my hands, now rectified by carpal tunnel ops five years ago.
I retired indoors with a sinking heart, convinced that in this day and age these guys would be three more couldn't-care-less cowboy types (so far they appear to be proving me wrong).
I ate my breakfast alongside Henry, hoping the noise of the digger just outside the dining room windows wouldn't upset him too much.
It was about 11-30am when the digger arrived just beyond the window and the top of the yellow hard hat worn by the young Irishman working in the trench was about level with the sill.
I needn't have worried about Henry, he wasn't at all perturbed by the growl of the diggers motor, nor the rattle and clank as the driver "shook" the scoopy thing to clear it of clinging dirt. In fact he was quite interested by what was happening, sitting up and listening intently. He really does seem to be bomb proof!
Not really wanting to see the destruction of my lawn I went back to the sitting room and the mammoth task of cataloguing my book collect.  It was maybe ten minutes later that the phone rang and I had to return to the dining room to answer it.
The sight that met my eyes caused my stomach to do a half somersault (I never could manage to do a somersault myself so my stomach was never taught to do a full one either). I was just in time to see Henners jump from one of the dining chairs onto the shelf where the telephone is. He's never shown any inclination to jump on furniture before and this shelf is about three feet high and I was suddenly aware that if he fell he could well hurt himself badly (the dining room floor is concrete). I was in a dilemma, should I call to him? Should I go and try lifting him down? Would either of these spook him and cause him to fall?
The damn phone wouldn't stop ringing and I was dithering.
Then Henry hopped from the shelf onto the window sill!!
Now I was panicking. And thankfully the phone shut up, not that that helped me think. I had to do something ... but in the end I did nothing ...
I had taken a couple of steps toward the window where Henners was staring out when the yellow hard hat rose up and the bearded face of the young Irishman appeared at the window. He was obviously quite taken aback to see a big grey rabbit ogling him from behind the glass, but then he smiled and as he did so Henners sat up on his hinders, and with a steadying paw on the frame between the bottom and top panes he pricked his right ear forward. The Irishman was laughing and he put his hand, palm down, on the window to give Henners a High-five.
That seemed to satisfy Henry and he sat back down and began to shuffle himself round to face the way he had come. My stomach finally settled when he hopped onto the shelf, onto the chair and back onto the floor. Then I grabbed that damned chair and took it into the kitchen and quickly did a check to be certain nothing else provided climbing access to windows ... or anything else above a foot high.
When they were packing up to go the boss man gave me a length of the pipe they use for the cable ... It will provide two or three nice tunnels in the pen I'm planning for Henners this spring ... if he doesn't break his neck beforehand ... and if I don't die of shock at his antics.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3535
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Henry and the Irishman

Post by c.bolduan on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:45 am

High five Heeners!Laughing
Sending OM vibes to your mum

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:34 am

Awe Henners you are a cool lad!!

He makes me laugh :-)

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Oh Henners, you do know how to scare your mum, don't you? Wink

They always make the most terrifying moments seem like nothing No

I love these stories Very Happy
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:33 pm

I do enjoy these also, he sounds a wonderful fun little bun.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11415
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

I had to go into town shopping today (the last time I ventured out was five weeks ago and it felt quite strange). I left the house with the HIM shut in the dining room and the curtains drawn shut just in case the crew came to fix the power cable to the house wall. I didn't want him making prodigious leaps onto the table and window sills to say, "Hi" to his new mate.
It rained all the time I was away and no one had been near the house, but better safe than sorry. I was mugged on my arrival home and had to fight the nose out of the shopping bags. He really is food mad.
I still find myself asking, "Will he like this?" just like I used to do with super-picky Loll ... there's no need query anything with Henners, he eats EVERYTHING.
When I first got him feed time was manic. He would fling himself at the pen and shake it like fury as I attempted to slide his dish underneath. When the pen was gone feeding was a frenzy ... I felt I was laying my life on the line; putting his dish down was like lowering your hand into a piranha tank; I felt his teeth several times. He is calmer now but there are still times when he goes a little overboard and it really doesn't pay to be late with his scoff!
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 pm

I just love your stories,  a non bunny hoomin would never believe what they can get up to & how much personality they have, your going to make your mum rich someday Henners when she publishes your book
Hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:39 pm

It is wonderful when they are good eaters and appreciate the food they are given, my Mr Snuffles used to poke his nose into the shopping bag when we had carrots with long leafy tops, he adored them as does Holly. It is going to be great trying him with all different foods love, is there a firm favourite yet?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Does he have a firm favourite ... yes, EVERYTHING edible.
Honestly, he is a dustbin. After Loll it's wonderful to have such a Foodie. He goes mad over everything I put down for him be it nuggets, hays or treats. The only "naughty" thing he gets is a bit of toast at tea time.
I only have two meals a day; brunch at about 8-30 to 9am and my main meal at about 4pm. The first time I gave Henners a taste of toast was a day or so after he became a free roamer. It was a Wednesday, the day before I do my once a week shop and the day when the cupboards may be a bit bare, so it being a case of catch-as-catch-can I was having toast and veggie burgers for my main meal. Carrying the tray through into the sitting room (my dining table has been replaced by his crate) I saw him peeping from under my desk and remembered how all my other rabbits (excepting Loll) had loved toast, so being curious, I broke a bit off for him.
He is sadly lacking in manners and snatched the toast and ran off. Settling behind my arm chair he devoured it in double quick time.
The next evening when I brought my tray through he rushed up expectantly. (Why is it a one-off event to a rabbit is a dyed in the wool habit?) He was like a sniffer dog looking for cocaine, madly quartering the floor in search of toast.
I had to go make him some.
Now it's a part of the meal time routine. I don't know if it's because it is the only food stuff he gets that isn't served in a dish but he can never seem to make up his mind exactly where to settle down and eat it. I usually cut off just one strip of crust for him and he grabs it and races off here there and everywhere; he goes behind my desk, under my desk, behind the sideboard, into his crate, onto this rug and that rug and under the stools and chairs... everywhere in a mad dash to find a safe spot to eat his toast. Sometimes he knocks it and breaks it or drops it and has to go back and search it out. He makes so much fuss about toast ... maybe toast is his weakness.
He loves hay, thank goodness, and shows most interest in Alfalfa Kings oat, wheat and barley hay. But he will readily nosh on meadow hay, Timothy or orchard grass hay. He loves fresh forage and dried, herbs and veggies. EVERYTHING!
He's a regular guts!

Don't think writing bunny biographies would earn me much cash ... sadly, not enough folk interested.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bunny boy on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:54 pm

If people could see Henners going about his days, he would have them all under his Bunny Spell.
I could see him dashing about with his toast, what a cutie
hugs Judy
bunny boy
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2015-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:16 am

He certainly is a monkey. I'm
So glad he found you, this is a bun that needs someone to understand him.

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Judy: I wouldn't really call Henry cute. There's too much of him to be called cute and neither would I describe him as elegant or graceful, nor sweet nor regal.
He is rather handsome in a rugged, chiselled kind of way. Imposing is another good Henry word, and masculine ... despite having had his pockets picked he is very masculine ... and he is what you might call rangy. He has presence and a certain rustic charm. If he was a movie star I'd say Jimmy Stewart or a young Harrison Ford ... but really,the best way to describe him is to say he's just a bit of rough (as we say in England)!
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:28 pm

He still sounds adorable and a pocket or two full of fun!
It is amazing how different they are in character and behaviour. Surely all individuals just like hoomins only a bit more developed and wise!?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Having had his pockets picked, I love it hun, I haven't heard it put that way before. I usually say he has no plums in his pocket LOL!!

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Oh, we have a few expressions for that operation : Short Changed (as in he's been short changed); Bombs Away; Down Sized ... loads more.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top