Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs?

+3
FluffSlave
c.bolduan
BugsBunny
7 posters

Go down

Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs? Empty Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs?

Post by BugsBunny Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:29 am

I am after getting some nail clippers to teach Arabella that they are fine and work on getting to clip them myself for her. Which nail clippers do you all use.?
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 2293
Registration date : 2013-06-07

Back to top Go down

Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs? Empty Re: Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs?

Post by c.bolduan Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:09 am

I got two different ones. One out of a grooming pack and one I got from the vet as Bertie's nails are so much thicker and darker the one from the pack wouldn't go easily. 
Sorry cant remember the name from the grooming pack but the more solid one is frm Mikki. They are all the scissor look a like one.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs? Empty Re: Which nail clippers do you use on the fluffs?

Post by BugsBunny Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 pm

BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 pm

I don't clip my guys' nails - I have to take them to the vet for it as they are such little monkeys!

However, when I clipped my friend's bun's nails the other day, I used the Rosewood ones (not the same as the link you posted, they're a similar style to the Mikki ones), and they worked fine Thumbs Up
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 pm

We take Holly to the vet to have this done along with the piggies. We go abut once every six weeks to two months and if we see a nurse, it is half the cost of seeing the vet. The nurses are great but it does take three of them to hold Holly, she turns into a ninja LOL!!

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:05 pm

They are both fine!
Yes the Mikki ones are the ones I got. I prefer the to the ones that look like pliers because I can see the cute(stripe in their nail that bleeds and ouch when cut) .
A friend of mine has the pliers one and I tried to clip her bunnies nails with it ending in a state and apologising profoundly to a little Rex bun.
I couldn't work with them.
Yes they will only work if your bunny keeps still for the time being.
When it comes to nails in our warren the bunny concerned gets wrapped in a towel. I sit down and have the bunnies bottom resting on my left leg whilst their feet rest on my right leg( a little lower).
It is then a matter of reassurance and being brief with it. Icut small amounts back and only once managed to make Bertie bleed by cutting to far. He has black nails and it is difficult to see. A little torch or bedside lamp may be haplful to shine against the nail.
Or just go and let the vet nurse do it. Means you are not in bad credit.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelia66 Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:55 pm

we use the first ones, brought them cheap from ebay and they work a treat!

Although clipping nails is a too person job one to hold the rabbit and one to clip the nails, we find this works best Smile
Amelia66
Amelia66
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 am

Thanks for all the help.

I am hoping she lets me clip her claws eventually but will see how she goes.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:24 pm

I find it is a two man job, especially the claws on the back feet. We usually cradle the bun semi upside down to clip the rear claws. It only takes a matter of seconds.
I hate cutting Spring's claws, although they are pale brown they are opaque so it is hard to see the quick. As for BJ, his are black and very thick so it is impossible to see the quick within his.
Sixer
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

I use the vets. It's a two person job if you have a wriggly or grouchy bun. Bet it's a three person job with Henners.
I have arthritis in my hands so holding a bun is bad enough, using the clippers is nigh on impossible.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:24 pm

I will see how she gets on and if I can manage eventually, otherwise it is vets for clasw eahc time
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 pm

I use those Mikki ones too.

Back to top Go down

Post by BugsBunny Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks, I shall order some of those I think tomorrow then.
BugsBunny
BugsBunny
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down