Handling at the vets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Handling at the vets

Post by Sandie83 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:28 am

Hi,

Took Humphrey to the vets today for his vaccs, as always he was the perfect bunny. He knows where he is and just runs to snuggle against me until it's over.

I also took Heidi to make sure she's doing ok. On her own terms, Heidi is way more affectionate than Humphrey, but she absolutely will not be held. The vet managed to turn her over (on the floor) but couldn't check her teeth.

I've been holding her for a minute or so every other day until I sense she's about to get distressed and so I let her go. Any advice on how to tame her to at least allow the vet near? Heidi will jump up and sit on my lap so she is ok with human contact (on her terms), I just need her to stay still for the vet!

Thank you

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Handling at the vets

Post by KatieB on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:20 am

Hi hun,

Goodness I don't know - mine don't like being held but are normally ok when I get them on the bench.

Did she try to jump off ?

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:07 am

Oh goodness No

I don't know what to suggest really. Heidi sounds very similar to Willow - extremely tame but can't stand being picked up. Like Katie's bunnies though, she's normally ok once she's on the vet table...
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:39 pm

I am not much help either hunny, Holly is the very devil to hold, that is why we take her to the vet to have her claws trimmed and it takes three of them apparently.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11415
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixer on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 pm

No advice really I am afraid. None of my bunnies like being held but their vet is always able to check their teeth. Bunny on the vet's table, vet at head end with me behind bunny supporting their rump and shoulders. There is nowhere then for the bunny to escape to. They don't like it but with all of them having had dental treatment needs must!
Sixer
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 5762
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 am

She might accept it if you allow her to do it on her terms. I mean sit on the floor with her and encourage her to come on your knee. Get her used to being "held" like that then after a few days/weeks try lifting her onto your knee while you sit on the floor. Get her used to feeling you lift her. And when you lift her immediately cuddle her close until you feel her preparing to bale out. After a while try lifting her and holding her while you kneel. If you can get her to feel confident and safe with that then you might try picking her up normally.
She may never never be a lifting rabbit but you could maybe help by trying this. It helped with Toffee, a Dutch doe I had some years back who hated being picked up. It helped my confidence in handling her too. Daily handling is good too.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3535
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie83 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 pm

woodwench wrote:She might accept it if you allow her to do it on her terms. I mean sit on the floor with her and encourage her to come on your knee. Get her used to being "held" like that then after a few days/weeks try lifting her onto your knee while you sit on the floor. Get her used to feeling you lift her. And when you lift her immediately cuddle her close until you feel her preparing to bale out. After a while try lifting her and holding her while you kneel. If you can get her to feel confident and safe with that then you might try picking her up normally.
She may never never be a lifting rabbit but you could maybe help by trying this. It helped with Toffee, a Dutch doe I had some years back who hated being picked up. It helped my confidence in handling her too. Daily handling is good too.

Thank you, will try this. I don't mind if she is never a rabbit I can routinely pick up, but I'd just like her to stay still for vet checks :-)

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie83 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:38 pm

KatieB wrote:Hi hun,  

Goodness I don't know - mine don't like being held but are normally ok when I get them on the bench.

Did she try to jump off ?

She jumped from the bench to my shoulder then tried to jump off the other side. Luckily I turned quick enough for her to land back on the bench.

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie83 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Sixer wrote:No advice really I am afraid. None of my bunnies like being held but their vet is always able to check their teeth. Bunny on the vet's table, vet at head end with me behind bunny supporting their rump and shoulders. There is nowhere then for the bunny to escape to. They don't like it but with all of them having had dental treatment needs must!

Maybe I just need to be more forceful holding her. Humphrey doesn't need holding as he buries his head against me. I held Heidi firmly but she turned her head and flashed her front teeth. She has bitten me twice when upset so maybe I was too scared. The positive is the vet said her front teeth look fine! Laughing

Sandie83
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NickieM on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:17 pm

I always cover their eyes if they struggle. Sometimes that calms them down.

NickieM
Admin

Number of posts : 14524
Registration date : 2008-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Sixer wrote:No advice really I am afraid. None of my bunnies like being held but their vet is always able to check their teeth. Bunny on the vet's table, vet at head end with me behind bunny supporting their rump and shoulders. There is nowhere then for the bunny to escape to. They don't like it but with all of them having had dental treatment needs must!
That's how we do it too!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:05 pm

I have done that in the past Nickie love, it always worked.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11415
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down