Stubborn crittur.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stubborn crittur.....

Post by woodwench on Sun May 10, 2015 7:13 pm

It's spring cleaning time at my house and all is going reasonably well EXCEPT FOR HENRY NOT PLAYING HIS PART!
When I got him I had him installed in a pen/crate complex and after about three weeks the pen was dispensed with. Now he is a free roaming bun (this even includes the run of the sitting room when I'm in bed). However now I want to pack the dog crate away but he insists it's where his litter tray lives and he won't use the tray out of the crate. I've tried moving it a foot at a time and today I set up a second tray in the sitting room for him; right by the fire where Loll had his tray (there's no where else in the sitting room to put it).
Henry was quite excited to find this second tray and after chomping some hay from it and showing his approval by doing a scoot around with a couple of binkies thrown in, he hopped back in the tray and dug everything out!

How the Devil am I to get him toileting in a tray AWAY from the crate?
I want that crate gone. It's a whacking four foot job and my dining room is twelve foot by twelve foot so it takes up a lot of space. And I want to eat off a table again which I currently cannot do as there's no room for one. Henry would still have all his other things and he only goes in the crate to use his tray.
Any suggestions ... other than, "Shoot the rabbit!".
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3558
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Stubborn crittur.....

Post by Father Jack on Sun May 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Maybe substitute for a smaller crate that could fit under the table?
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB on Sun May 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh bless him, he obviously likes the though of having his own bathroom.

Have you thought of trying a tray with a top on... it might be that he wants to go into something?

Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
KatieB
Admin

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Sun May 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Father Jack: sorry, my table is one of those that has drop leaves and when closed is about six inches across and when open has a rather complex system of legs and stays that wouldn't accomodate even a small crate. And I really want no crate at all. He already has his travel box, an igloo, a log tunnel and a big box.
Katie: I think a lidded tray might just give him ideas about using his travel box instead.
He has three litter trays, one, a seed tray, which is in store for his old age and two normal trays. I'm perfectly willing to have a tray in both the dining room and the sitting room. But the crate has to go! I keep telling him it's a glorified prison and he should cheer to see it go....
It's not too much to ask surely? He does have the run of the house and all those other goodies.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 pm

I'VE WON!
(I think.)
This morning I cleaned out the crate and put the litter tray close by outside; then I shut the doors. By lunch time he was using it and no quibbles.
So the crate will soon be history.... I hope; with Henners I've learned not to take anything for granted.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 pm

I am so pleased to hear this love, what a relief. He was just keeping you waiting that's all, the little monkey Laughing

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11443
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Father Jack on Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 pm

woodwench wrote:I'VE WON!
(I think.)
This morning I cleaned out the crate and put the litter tray close by outside; then I shut the doors. By lunch time he was using it and no quibbles.
So the crate will soon be history.... I hope; with Henners I've learned not to take anything for granted.

The poor crate. Thrown out into the cold. Crying or Very sad

Won't somebody please think of the crates? Hissy
Father Jack
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Tue May 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Father Jack: Please don't fret about the future of the crate. It will take up residence in my spare bedroom (folded and tidily stashed) just in case it is ever needed again by Henners, or some other poor unfortunate. Who knows ... I may even end up taking up residence in its cosily carpeted sanctuary myself.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Wed May 13, 2015 7:41 pm

hahhaaahaaaaaa!!

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper