Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner.

+4
KatieB
bunny-mummy-lizzy
woodwench
Thumper2001
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner. Empty I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner.

Post by Thumper2001 Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Molly is driving me crazy.

Really don't know what to do about it either. She is constantly chewing on my carpet and I don't know what the hell to do about it. And having to stop her when I have visitors in is getting embarrassing.

I spend a fortune on things to keep her occupied; hay tunnels, carrot cottages, various tunnels, that square log things - name escapes me right now. They also have other things to do, a blanket to dig on, cardboard boxes, kitchen roll tubes, yogurt pots, sticks etc etc etc.

The kitchen door is also always open so she can go and potter about in there too.

I'm getting extremely annoyed with her at times. I'm not a particularly tolerant person at the best of times and she is pushing me to my limits.

She's obviously not happy, or she wouldn't be being an absolute **** all the time.

But what can I do????!!! Other than stop letting her down here - which I really don't want to do.

I do remember the suggestion you guys made before about chucking her outside for a while but we aren't even getting the weather to do that! Rain, rain, rain! And she's just dig her flipping way out anyway.

Feeling seriously fed up right now Sad
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner. Empty Re: I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner.

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Have you tried a foraging/digging box?
A medium/large plastic dog bed with a deep bed of ripped up paper/cardboard in it. Mix in some hay and dried herbs/treats (broken up fenugreek crunchies are good to start them off) and then let her loose on it. The plastic bed saves any wee on the carpet ... Henners get so into his foraging he clean forgets his toilet training!
He so loves his box that when I first put it out he soon became obsessed with it and I've had to restrict access to a morning only once or twice a week.
It might give Molly the chance to get some of that pent frustration out of her system .... it's the time of year for does to dig!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner. Empty Re: I feel like I'm failing as a rabbit owner.

Post by bunny-mummy-lizzy Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 am

I know how you feel, I've been there too, I had a terrible time with Bobby when he was 12-15 months old. I have a horrible vivid memory of when I was having a rough time personally and Bobby was being very naughty testing all the boundaries and I couldn't take it anymore and he made me cry and I remember shouting at him, "why can't you just behave? I wish I'd never got you" Embarassed pale Crying or Very sad

But of course I didn't mean it, and actually after that he behaved himself beautifully the rest of the day.

Woodwench's ideas are great, and to add to that one thing that I found worked for me is to go to a local carpet shop and see if they have any roll-ends going cheap. I managed to get a couple for £30 each and I put them down where he used to regularly hang out. I found it helped in several ways as it didn't matter if he weed on it, he could dig in it and chew it with out me telling him off too much, it was his own little personal space that I didn't clean heavily so it smelt like him and when I had visitors I could pick up all his toys and put them on his carpet and then they looked tidy, but he could still play with them. It also helped with the aesthetics as the living room carpet was a rusty orange colour (not my choice) and Bobby's grey fur stood out on it no matter how much I hoovered. So I got a greyish carpet for him and he could cover it in fur how he liked it and I didn't mind.

Another suggestion would be to see if a carpet shop had any old sample books they were getting rid of, then you could give Molly some carpet to chew with out it being your flooring.

Another option might be to make some wollen pompoms and put them where she likes to dig/chew the carpet as I found with my Becky its the texture of the carpet she enjoys.

But what ever you do, remember you aren't failing as a bunnymum, there are plenty of buns out there who would love to have the life you provide for Molly and Junior. Hugs

bunny-mummy-lizzy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2015-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 am

Oh hunni - you are the best bunny mummy they could wish for.
This might sound silly but I think its worth a shot.

Daisy went through a stage where he would pull the threads out of the rug. He would do it right in front of us blatantly. It was actually for attention...because we would stop whatever we were doing and give him attention even if that was just telling him off.

So we adopted the three strikes and you are out system... it sounds mad but if he did it, he was removed from the front room and not allowed back in. Molly is a very clever bun, and it might be that she is associating the pulling at the rug with you coming over to her and interacting with her. Perhaps you should consider removing her for a time out when she does it. Perhaps set up a little pen somewhere that she gets put into when she does it so that there is a complete lack of attention?

It worked (mostly) for DaisyB
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Don't dare blame yourself, you are a wonderful bunny mummy.   I hope this comes right for you love and she starts to behave. Holly is an attention seeker and has a real tantrum and will claw and chew at anything (you should see my duvets) if she is not getting enough fuss?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:04 pm

woodwench wrote:Have you tried a foraging/digging box?
A medium/large plastic dog bed with a deep bed of ripped up paper/cardboard in it. Mix in some hay and dried herbs/treats (broken up fenugreek crunchies are good to start them off) and then let her loose on it. The plastic bed saves any wee on the carpet ... Henners get so into his foraging he clean forgets his toilet training!
He so loves his box that when I first put it out he soon became obsessed with it and I've had to restrict access to a morning only once or twice a week.
It might give Molly the chance to get some of that pent frustration out of her system .... it's the time of year for does to dig!
I haven't. Simply because I don't want to drag something else for her to ignore into my living room.

Maybe I should tho.

I did fill an old carrier with shredded paper once. Junior is like Henners, he peed in it! And then started eating the paper like hay No

Thanks for the suggestion.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:06 pm

bunny-mummy-lizzy wrote:I know how you feel, I've been there too, I had a terrible time with Bobby when he was 12-15 months old.  I have a horrible vivid memory of when I was having a rough time personally and Bobby was being very naughty testing all the boundaries and I couldn't take it anymore and he made me cry and I remember shouting at him, "why can't you just behave? I wish I'd never got you"  Embarassed  pale  Crying or Very sad

But of course I didn't mean it, and actually after that he behaved himself beautifully the rest of the day.

Woodwench's ideas are great, and to add to that one thing that I found worked for me is to go to a local carpet shop and see if they have any roll-ends going cheap. I managed to get a couple for £30 each and I put them down where he used to regularly hang out. I found it helped in several ways as it didn't matter if he weed on it, he could dig in it and chew it with out me telling him off too much, it was his own little personal space that I didn't clean heavily so it smelt like him and when I had visitors I could pick up all his toys and put them on his carpet and then they looked tidy, but he could still play with them. It also helped with the aesthetics as the living room carpet was a rusty orange colour (not my choice) and Bobby's grey fur stood out on it no matter how much I hoovered. So I got a greyish carpet for him and he could cover it in fur how he liked it and I didn't mind.

Another suggestion would be to see if a carpet shop had any old sample books they were getting rid of, then you could give Molly some carpet to chew with out it being your flooring.

Another option might be to make some wollen pompoms and put them where she likes to dig/chew the carpet as I found with my Becky its the texture of the carpet she enjoys.

But what ever you do, remember you aren't failing as a bunnymum, there are plenty of buns out there who would love to have the life you provide for Molly and Junior. Hugs
Thanks for this. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's felt like this at times Hugs:

They're so frustrating at times!!!!

Thanks also for the suggestions. I will look into them Very Happy
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:12 pm

KatieB wrote:Oh hunni - you are the best bunny mummy they could wish for.
This might sound silly but I think its worth a shot.

Daisy went through a stage where he would pull the threads out of the rug.  He would do it right in front of us blatantly.  It was actually for attention...because we would stop whatever we were doing and give him attention even if that was just telling him off.  

So we adopted the three strikes and you are out system... it sounds mad but if he did it, he was removed from the front room and not allowed back in.  Molly is a very clever bun, and it might be that she is associating the pulling at the rug with you coming over to her and interacting with her.  Perhaps you should consider removing her for a time out when she does it.  Perhaps set up a little pen somewhere that she gets put into when she does it so that there is a complete lack of attention?

It worked (mostly) for DaisyB
You might be on to something with the attention seeking theory. She did used to be such a people bunny, but she doesn't approach me like she used to.

As I type this, I am sitting on the floor near to them - but not too close. She tried to pull on the carpet once, I called her name and then she hopped away into the litter tray, where she still is. She hasn't come near me yet but we'll see!

Re the three strikes and you're out thing, I actually tried this the other night but failed miserably Laughing I was trying to put her through in the kitchen but I couldn't catch her, and I tried SEVERAL times Laughing She obviously knew what was coming!

And you're right, she is super smart - she is no doubt deliberately pushing her luck.

Thank you Smile
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:12 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Don't dare blame yourself, you are a wonderful bunny mummy.   I hope this comes right for you love and she starts to behave. Holly is an attention seeker and has a real tantrum and will claw and chew at anything (you should see my duvets) if she is not getting enough fuss?

Hugs
JO xx
Thank you Hugs
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:28 pm

You are very welcome my sweetie. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:14 pm

You can't be serious. You a bad bunmum?confusedconfusedHissyNo
Never . She is trying to push the boat out I guess.
Bubbles did something similar after I had her 4 month. 
The vet suggested that when ever she misbehaved she would go back in her hutch. Not for long 10 minutes or so. Than let her out again.
We did that for a few days and it changed her behaviour and of course she is now good as gold:lol:ShockedRolling Eyes
I give you lots of credit. A working young mum and the buns as well.
A big hug is coming to you. Ahh make it a few!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Sounds like Temperance! She is always ripping up the carpet, she has also badly damaged our foot rest by ripping holes in it. It is incredibly frustrating, I sometimes just have to shut them away. She's always been naughty, but she's been particularly bad in recent months and we think it might be due to MJ having lost his eyesight and being very withdrawn. He doesn't come out much and when he does he just sits there (he doesn't even relax enough now when he's out for them to snuggle up), so she has to entertain her self. Which she does by bombing about destroying things Rolling Eyes So I agree with everyone else, you are definitely not a bad bunmum, some bunnies are just very naughty but I find Temperance is also very forgiving (because obviously I am the one who should be sorry that she had to be shut away for destroying our flat!!), and I am sure Molly is as well Smile
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:09 pm

Before I had bunnies and read up on them, one of the books said that they had tantrums, boy were they right!!

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:29 pm

I agree with everyone ... Thumper, chuck, haven't you got Molly sussed out yet?
And Jo: tantrums and SULKS ... don't forget the bloomin' sulks!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:54 pm

c.bolduan wrote:You can't be serious. You a bad bunmum?confusedconfusedHissyNo
Never . She is trying to push the boat out I guess.
Bubbles did something similar after I had her 4 month. 
The vet suggested that when ever she misbehaved she would go back in her hutch. Not for long 10 minutes or so. Than let her out again.
We did that for a few days and it changed her behaviour and of course she is now good as gold:lol:ShockedRolling Eyes
I give you lots of credit. A working young mum and the buns as well.
A big hug is coming to you. Ahh make it a few!
Aw thank you Hugs

It is hard some days, especially when OH is away. I'm so glad I only work 3 days a week Laughing

I've been doing time out the last few nights. Through to the kitchen and close the door.

I wondered how Junior would take it - he was fine, bunny 500's round the room and binkies galore! FREEDOM!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:56 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:Sounds like Temperance! She is always ripping up the carpet, she has also badly damaged our foot rest by ripping holes in it. It is incredibly frustrating, I sometimes just have to shut them away. She's always been naughty, but she's been particularly bad in recent months and we think it might be due to MJ having lost his eyesight and being very withdrawn. He doesn't come out much and when he does he just sits there (he doesn't even relax enough now when he's out for them to snuggle up), so she has to entertain her self. Which she does by bombing about destroying things Rolling Eyes So I agree with everyone else, you are definitely not a bad bunmum, some bunnies are just very naughty but I find Temperance is also very forgiving (because obviously I am the one who should be sorry that she had to be shut away for destroying our flat!!), and I am sure Molly is as well Smile
Sounds like Molly and T are two peas in a pod!!! It's sooooo frustrating isn't it?! HBWS

Thanks for the reassurance Hugs and the giggle about you being the one who should be sorry Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:58 pm

woodwench wrote:I agree with everyone ... Thumper, chuck, haven't you got Molly sussed out yet?
I think that's a lost cause! Molly the enigma Laughing
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieB Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:17 pm

[quote="

I've been doing time out the last few nights. Through to the kitchen and close the door.

I wondered how Junior would take it - he was fine, bunny 500's round the room and binkies galore! FREEDOM!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
[/quote]

This has tickled me. Have the time outs been helping at all? (apart from junior)
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Flo can be a carpet eater at times. Then she moves on to something else. She does it less now, but it did take about 7 years for her to calm. I agree with Katie re. the norty step. When flo gets fixated on doing something I put her back in their room to try and reset her. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I have often wondered whether the carpet thing is about digging a burrow or collecting the fluff for a nest. Either way it is a pointless task in Flo's case.

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Love that expression, "reset her". Laughing Made me wonder if you meant return her to her defualt!
Seriously, I think it is the instinct to burrow. Does seem more prone to it than bucks and in the wild its does who do the digging, bucks just play at it, usually on somes lawn! making those annoying little scrapes.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 pm

In the garden flo will start a hole and then once she is tired Bruce will continue it.

That is a nightmarish thought that I could reset Flo to factory default. It has taken all 8 years to get her to let me give her a nose rub one in a while between fenugreek crunchies if the next one is in the hand that is rubbing her nose. Or for her to come in from the garden if I promise her breakfast. Or for her to stop boxing me when I sit on the carpet.

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:48 pm

woodwench wrote:I agree with everyone ... Thumper, chuck, haven't you got Molly sussed out yet?

Like the one she is in now Woodwench love because we went out and left her LOL!!

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Holly is a ****** for digging Cheryl love, my duvet and cover has more holes than duvet.  I love that Bruce finishes the hole, as if he like to see a job completed LOL!!

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by FluffSlave Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Just wanted to send some hugs and calming vibes your way - hopefully the time outs work! Hugs
FluffSlave
FluffSlave
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7019
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Thank you! Sitting on the floor with her seems to be helping Suspect
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum