Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disabled Bunny advice please

+4
Patrik Anastas
KatieB
woodwench
freecycle_rabbit
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Empty Re: Disabled Bunny advice please

Post by freecycle_rabbit Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 pm

I didnt get as far as making more permanent supports today, but tried a couple of ideas. Outside i wrapped a towel over a couple of T shirts, so she was sitting on it stopping it falling or being pushed away, which worked reasonably well. Then tonight in the hutch i have put them under the sheet she sits on which when i went back out this evening to tuck them up seemed to be working as she was still in place.

She's not been too bad today, quite determined in what she wanted and refused all offers until she got what she did want - food. Not greenery, not grass, treats, but food.
She had a little walk around the run, but finds it quite tiring. I am trying to give her a chance to walk every day to keep her as active as she can be.

Her front legs have got a bit 'pigeon toed' and when she sits she isnt comfortable unless her front feet are straight as well.

She had a bath today, but was so not into it she wanted to get out straight away, so it was a quick one. The abscess on her foot is going down, but still there and quite painful. I have packed the bed up with extra shavings and hay tonight as its a bit chilly.

Tor has had a bit of a wet/runny eye for the last couple of days, which hasn't got better yet, so i will need to bathe that tomorrow. He is still very much in love with Tia and finds everything very exciting every time she is moved or i tend to her, or the bed he bounces around and squirts at me!

xx

freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2012-11-16

https://folksy.com/shops/CustomHandmade

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh the poor little love and poor you too hunny, this must be so difficult for you.  I think it is great how you are doing all  you can to make her comfortable.  What exactly has she eaten today? I have always fund a little bit f banana works well with poorly buns, not to much but just enough to get them interested.  I am sorry she didn't enjoy her bath but in my experience buns never do.  If only they know that we were doing it all in their best interests.
Hugs
More hugs and cuddy vibes are on their way hun.

Love
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Jo,
Today has been a very active day for Tia, i have been all over the run on my knees several times today Smile
She has discovered a ramp we made for her to get into her hutch (which is about 8 inches off ground level) when she was still walking but never got round to using as back then she was too stubborn. Today i put it out for her, and (with me being back legs) she trotted up, and then down, then back up, back down...!

Today she has eaten grass, dock leaf, cherry leaf, apple, and cabbage as well as her dried food. Today has been a good day, i love days like today.

Never tried Rabbits on banana - is that just banana or dried banana chips?

I know baths are not really rabbit things, but Tia has become past master at baths the last few months and does usually quite enjoy them.

Tomorrow is going to be difficult for her, as i am at a craft fair from 9-4, so wont be about to walk her around. I think she will be best off in her hutch for the day - she will hate me when i get home and most likely refuse to speak to me!

xx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:28 pm

I am so glad she has had a better day sweetie and of course, so have you.  She obviously still has her appetite too which is great and she has you to help her get around and exercise a little bit.  She may have started to enjoy the baths; does she tend to get a little sticky bottom? No would would like to sit around with one of those and  she probably finds it soothing.  I mean actual banana love, it is only something I give as an occasional treat but everyone here, including my pet roachies, seem to love it.

Yes, she will probably have a sulk on but you have a nice time, I love craft fairs.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:47 pm

All was not lost today for Tia as two girls who met her last weekend at the party came over to 'babysit'  her for the afternoon, so she got her walks and grass time and lots of attention. My partner checked on her a couple of times during the morning before they got here too, so she was ok.
She was also very pleased to see me home, as soon as she heard me she looked round with a look of 'thank goodness you're back, they wont stop fussing' One of them also has an adorable 3 y/o boy who loves rabbits, which i think she finds quite exhausting.

She robbed my chocolate hobnob earlier, she smelt it as i was eating it next to her and the look on her face told me to share... she had a couple of nibbles, then decided she had had enough so Tor had a bit. I decided after that i wasn't that bothered after all so left it on the ground in the run Smile I will have to try them on banana, as i say not something i had ever associated with rabbits.

Yes, Tia does get very sticky. She cannot get round to clean herself and obviously as her back legs dont work she cant even lift her bottom to wee, and also drips a little too. As such regular baths are a must.
Tor wanted lots of love today, says its a bit unfair when Tia gets all the attention, as he is gorgeous too  so he had lots of kisses and snuggles too.

Not sure what happened with her ear over her eye i this picture, but this is Tia in her bath, looking a bit like something out of a horror movie bless her Smile

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 3

https://servimg.com/view/19301327/3

Last edited by freecycle_rabbit on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to try to get picture link working)
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:28 pm

She missed her mum that is what is was love, she was pleased to see you were home.  Yes children can be tiring for animals because they mean well and if allowed to, often fuss them a bit to much.  It is up to whomever is there to tell them.  Oh love her, she wets her little panties, it is good that you are on hand to keep her clean all the time otherwise her ittle botty would be sore.  Oh bless her not looking her best in this picture me thinks, does she know you have posted it LOL?  She is adorable though.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:01 am

Needless to say Tia was quite tiered today after her visitors yesterday. The little boy is adorable and very well behaved and calm for a 3 y/o, but he is still 3.

We did a bit of walking around the run today, me on my knees and her on her front legs. She has worked out how to use her front legs separately, to walk with them, but hasn't yet grasped that she cant jump or step over things yet. In her mind she is on her feet and can do everything she would normally do.
This evening she was a bit 'meh', partly i think as i was busy this afternoon so she didn't get as much attention as she would have liked, and partly tired after yesterday. Much perkier just now when i went out to tuck them in, despite Tor sitting on her  Love

She was quite funny this evening. When she was able bodied i used to go out to the run and say 'bed' firmly and she would go to her hutch to bed, something she subsequently taught Tor. So i thought this evening, if i held her legs to walk and told her to go to bed, i would see if she did. did she ever.. nooo... she went a few paces in the opposite direction, so i turned her round saying 'bed' again, then she sat down with a 'i don't want to, you cant make me, i'm not going' look!

No, not a very flattering picture of her. Sshh! no, i haven't told her i posted it Wink This is slightly better taken about a week ago. Her coat looks quite good, but she does look so very thin poor girl.

Medicine has never been a great point for us, she wasn't that keen on shredded wheat, not enough to guarantee getting the medicine, so i have been sitting her on my lap to put it directly into her mouth, which was always a bit of a struggle. The last couple of nights we have established that she will sit in her hutch and let me put it in her mouth, much happier than sitting on me for it.

we are working it out between us, she is teaching me how to read her mind, and i am learning.

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 <a href=Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Dsc_0010" />
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 pm

I think you are doing such a great job hunny and thank you for another lovely picture.  Yes this one of her in the sunshine is much better.  I am glad it is now easier to give her her meds, we always feel so dreadful when they struggle and show signs of distress and yet we know we have to do it.  Holly will go to bed when I say "bed bed bed" but only when we she has chased around the room a few times.  Please give Tia a big hug from her auntie Jo Jo and there is one for you too hunny.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Haha! yes, Tia was never one to go to bed quickly, a lot of procrastination took place first. Tor is fairly good now, he puts himself to bed under the hutch, but when he hears me talking to Tia comes out and goes in and usually sits on top of Tia and has to be moved!

Not been a great day for her today, maybe because the weather has been dull and wet and damp. She had to have a bath today and was not pleased, but is much cleaner. I put her back in her hutch on her sheets and covered her in hay and a thin towel resting on top to help her stay warm while she dried (same idea as the sweat sheet string vests for horses) I also gave her a bit extra meds too when she came out of the bath.
I just thought if she has been having 0.6 of a ml a day, and now down to 0.3 then a little 0.2 wouldn't hurt. She was much more cheerful when i went out this evening to tuck them in and couldn't wait for her treat of apple and lettuce tonight and this time had her meds on the lettuce Smile

She had a bit of a wander today, but wasnt happy . I am starting to see a pattern of her not being so good in the damp weather now she is on less meds.

Thank you for the hugs,from me and Tia
xx
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:19 pm

It is right hunny, I have never had a bun go straight to bed, they always have to play you up first LOL!  I am sorry today wasn't so good for her and she had to have a bath.  It must be a comfort for her though because I wouldn't like that to happen to me if I couldn't get a good wash.  I am glad she is taking her meds via her treat, at least that part is easy.

I am sending more hugs darling, I just wish I could do more. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi Jo,
I guess she will just have good days and bad days, i just dislike the bad days as much as she does. They worry me, i worry that her time may be up when she has a bad day, but she makes up for it with good days.
Yesterday and today have been very 'active' days, i have been all over the run on my knees! we have it off to a fine art now, me on my knees, right hand under Tia, left hand supporting myself Wink. She has started really getting a crack on on her front feet now, it is quite amusing. She has now worked out exactly where in the run she wants to be, and if i put her where she doesn't want to be, she will wiggle to move until an obliging hand lifts her back legs up and she trots off to where she wants to be - i have a job to keep up with her sometimes Smile She decided herself this evening it was bed time so ran me back to the hutch!
we had another look at the wheel chair prototype, which we did think would need to be changed, but now she hasnt got any use of her back legs and her needs have changed it may well be ok. So tomorrow i will it on her and she how it works. Will save my knees once she can be a little more self sufficient! Would also be nice to have it working before she sees the vet next too.
Tor is being very attentive, and loving and accepts she isnt her old self, but gets very excited when she is on the move. I went out tonight to tuck them up and he was snuggled up next to her giving her kisses Love
She will need a bath again tomorrow, so i am sure she will have the hump with me afterwards!

The hugs and love being sent over are obviously working Smile. Its nice to be able to share the little moments with someone who understands. Thank you Hugs
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm

I understand what you are saying love, I just hope the good days outweigh the bad.  It sounds as if she knows what she wants and has developed a way of telling you what that is, which is great.  I cannot get down on my hands and knees anymore so I would be useless Very Happy .  It does sound as if she is adapting quite well and I hope her little wheel chair works out all right for her.  I know many doggies who have lost their back legs have these and manage perfectly well, let's keep everything crossed.  I am glad Tor is being attentive, he sounds a lovely bun who really cares for her.  Please give him a kiss from his Auntie Jo Jo too.

You are welcome to the hugs and warm vibes love, it is the least I can do, I wish I could do more.  I am always here if you want to chat, I Just hope that every day when I read your lovely messages that she is getting better. Hugs

You take care too.
Love
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:44 pm

I did have a thought today, why was i crawling around on my knees, why didn't i put something under her and walk along side her...!  Very Happy So i tried a t shirt, which with a bit of practice worked quite well.

I tried her prototype wheels today, but they were too heavy for her so she was skidding on the spot bless her! So they have now gone back to the 'workshop' (my partners shed) to be re modelled and made lighter.

She had bath today, which made her quite exhausted and cross as she really has no time for baths these days she says, but after she had recovered she had another walk and sat in the garden for a while - until it started raining and i went out to rescue her and got the look of 'oh thank goodness you're here. She gets quite out of breath walking around, but i guess she is out of practice. Hopefully if she can get going with her wheels she will build up a bit again.
for the moment we seem to have settled on 0.4 ml of metacam, as 0.3 as recommended by the vet doesn't seem to quite cut it for her.
Tor loves his kisses, and in his way i think he feels quite helpless. When Tia is in her hutch he will visit from time to time but spends most of his time under it. As soon as he hears me about he comes out and gets so excited if Tia is out and about too bless him. While she was sitting in the garden this afternoon i was watching him out of  the window doing a little love dance around her while she just sat there lapping up the attention Love

This is Tia 'chilling out' after her bath today. Not sure how to make it the right way up so you will have to tilt your head to see it Smile

xx Hugs

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 <a href=Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Dsc_0010" />
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:47 pm

I am sorry her little wheel chair was too heavy love, hopefully your hubby will rectify that and she will be on her way.  No I know no bunnies like baths and I have only ever bathed mine when they have been mucky.  Luckily I have not had this problem at all with Holly and I am very grateful. I am sorry the medication isn't hitting the spot, does it mean a dose increase?

Poor Tor, he probably doesn't understand what is going on, sometimes I think other animals understand these things and other times I am not so sure.  He sounds adorable anyway, I would give him lots of kisses.

That is a beautiful photo of a beautiful bunny, I adore that little white nose.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Jo,
Apologies for the delay replying. Tia has not been great the last few days. The original prescription for metacam was 0.6ml a day, when we saw the vet recently she suggested dropping it to a 'maintenance dose' of 0.3ml. She didnt seem great so i put it up a little, still not good so upped it a little more. the last few days have been absolute torture for her bless her, she has been so very stiff, almost rigid she was so stiff and last night she was in a foul mood (usually pain when she is like that) so i have now put it back to 0.6 again as of last night. She seemed a little more cheerful this morning, had a little wander round and nibbled at grass like there was no tomorrow, but then asked to go back in again so i gave her a large handful of cut grass to munch on in bed.

Tor knows something is wrong, he knows she isnt her usual self, but hasn't got a clue what or why. He so wants her to be back to normal and her old self, he is quite childlike in his excitement when she is out in the run being 'normal' with me working the back legs and her doing the front. They have never been a cuddle up all day couple, but a distant, independent type of love, but he will often visit her now and check on her to see how she is. Shame he cant do more for her, he could sit her up and help her walk Smile

Hugs Alice
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Please don't apologise for the delay in writing Alice love I thought there would be a good reason for it and I am so sorry the little love has been really poorly again.  I know what it is like to have limb and joint pain constantly so I can empathise with her.  I was going to PM you but didn't want to be cheeky.

I am glad she is more cheerful today, I take it she is a little more mobile.  Oh poor Tor, they do know when something is wrong and it is awful for us because we know we cannot tell them and keep them informed. Obviously he cannot understand why she s not the bun he used to know.  Yes it would be wonderful if he could help her to move around and if there was any chance of him being able to something tells me he would.

Lots of loving vibes on their way hun and thank you for keeping me updated.

Love
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Had you considered making her a kind of hammock .... well, more like a sling that would go under her tum and hold her at the required height to support her? It might be a daft idea but I thought something like that might be more efficient than props either side. It might be padded to offer warmth on chilly days.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 pm

That is a great idea Woodwench love.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:24 pm

The dose of 0.3 seems tiny. I remember in one older post someone gave me the conversion and I can't find it anymore. I will let you know when I found it!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:34 pm

0.3 hardly touched the surface when my Loll was taking Metacam for his arthritis. My vet's at the time were of the opinion that anything over that dose was dangerous to rabbits. They cost my boy his life.... if he had been under the vet I use now the chances are he would still be here.
0.6 seems way more reasonable as a daily dose with something like 0.8, or even 0.9, on really bad days. As long as she is eating well I wouldn't be worried about any ill effects of the drug.
I should talk it through again with your vet.

woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:05 pm

How is she today hun?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi Jo,
Sorry, I did write a reply yesterday to both you and Woodwench, but it seems to have dissaperad somewhere confused

Anyway, Tia says a big thank you for telling me about banana as she now says its her favourite way to take her medicine.

Today hasnt been too bad. She has walked a little but  preferred to stay still. She has decided she likes to stay in for breakfast in the mornings. I get her up and sit her outside the hutch by my knees while i tidy her bed up after the night and she tries to get back in again bless her. I get her up about midday and sit her outside and let her walk herself to where she wants to sit. Then i get her supports, tuck them in to keep her there. As soon as she is out Tor comes to sit with her, and hey share kisses. Yesterday she was giving him kisses too Love  So sweet to see. She may not be able to use her legs, but is still very active in her mind, she has now started trying to jump over and up things with me on the back legs Smile

I had thought of a sling type thing for her to sit in Woodwench, i was thinking a while ago along the lines of something that held her supports in place as well as she sat on, but not sure how to work it out.

Medication, no, 0.3 is nothing and didnt help her at all. I went back up bit by bit, 0.4, 0.5 but its the 0.6 that helps. I hope the vet is happy with it when we go back on Monday. I dont want to get into arguments with her over quality of life etc. \Reduce her medication and her quality of life drops drastically, keep it where it is and she does ok. She obviously hasn't got very long left, she isnt going to go on for years, but for the time being she hasn't given up so i wont. I have the time and love to give as i dont work (i am carer for my partner too) so i dont see why she and i cant carry on as we are for now. I do feel quite defensive, i like this practice, and the vet i saw last time was straight talking and honest, but do wish they wouldn't go on so much about quality of life- i know its different for animals, but Tia's quality of life is along the same lines as my partners he survives, so why shouldn't Tia...!

Anyway, here are some pictures of bunny love in the garden yesterday, and tonight when i went out to give treats and tuck them in for the night Love

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 <a href=Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Tt_00010" />

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Tt000410

Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 <a href=Disabled Bunny advice please - Page 3 Tt_00111" />
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Some days are like that aren't they hun, they seem to just disappear into a black hole?  Banana is a favourite with most of my babies including the hermit crabs and cockroaches.

I think it is lovely how you tidy her bed each morning and then she goes back in for a little sleep, you really do deserve a medal for what you are doing love.  Thank you for the adorable photos and yes, they are so affectionate with each other and it is such a delight to see.  

About quality of life I agree with you so much hunny.  As you say there is nothing wrong with her mind, Tor loves her so if you can make her last days on earth really happy, I think you should.  I am disabled as I assume  your partner is.  My quality of life isn't brilliant, I am never without pain and I was told by the doctor today that that is not likely to change, so should I shoot myself? I do not intend to and want to live life to the full as much as I am able.

Thanks for the wonderful piccies, they are just gorgeous. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by freecycle_rabbit Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:10 am

Yes, i understand Vets have a duty to make sure an animal isnt suffering, and also as Tias mum i am likely to only see the good and not the reality. However i am well aware of the reality, she isnt well, she hasnt got long left, but she is so alert, and so sure of what she wants. We have the battle at the moment, that she will not drink. I do my best to make sure she has as much moist food as i can and often dip it in water before giving it to her, but she will not drink. I offer her water, this morning she had a quick drink, then turned away and refused any more. I can only assume she has enough, but also wonder if there is anyway i can encourage her to drink more?
She has had a quiet day today as i went out to visit a friend, so she has sat in her hutch for the day. I have promised her we will sit out in the run together tomorrow and i will help her walk if she wants to. When i went out with her banana medicine tonight i took a second bit for Tor, but Tia said she could smell it so it must be hers... so being the mug i am i let her have it. Tor was just happy to have Tia, he didnt care what she had or didnt have.
It is lovely how close they have become recently. They always got on, and loved each other but rarely were seen sitting together or kissing. Tor used to chase Tia around the run for you-know-what and she would eventually give in and and make a fuss about it, same at bedtime when they went  in. When she first got ill, i couldnt let him near her as all he could think about was not keeping it in his trousers albino and she really wasnt well enough for it. Now he sits with her most of the time, cuddles up to her, loves her but is very restrained now. Tia of course just laps up the attention like the Queen she is Love
freecycle_rabbit
freecycle_rabbit
Junior Hopper
Junior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Oh bless you, I know it is a difficult one love and you are doing so well.  I cannot for the life of me work out why she won't drink and putting her food in water and giving it to her is a very good idea. Tor was just behaving like a natural bunny but I am glad he is just attentive to her now, they do know when another one is sick and it is lovely hearing about the way he is with her.  I hope you don't mind my mentioning this love but I think he will miss her very much when she has gone.  I hope he gets an extra piece of banana tonight LOL!!

Lots of loves and hugs on their way sweetie, you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

Hugs
JO xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down