Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remembering trauma

5 posters

Go down

Remembering trauma Empty Remembering trauma

Post by gemma997 Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:06 pm

Miranda was a rescue rabbit who was found wandering about, so have no background on her. Don't know whether she escaped or was abandoned.

Noticed few times months apart as soon as the door is opened on the cage she cowards in the corner and whimpers, I just talk to her and give her a wee soft head rub she whimpers on and off through it so I let her come round on her own time which she does but it not just with me she does it with John and soundwave too.

She is totally terrified of travelling we have to leave for the vets half hour before hand so we can cuddle her in the car too calm her down( which always works).

First thought she was in pain but she fine when the door is shut and she eats great but when the door open and she is eating and I give her a wee rub she whimpers.

I am now wondering whether she has been abused and she remembering at times, I also wonder if she has been abandoned and that's why she doesn't like the car.

I know it not us she loves us fussing over her and getting brushed.

I hope I am being paranoid and she just a moaning bun would hate to think she remembering bad stuff.
What do you's think?

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Remembering trauma Empty Re: Remembering trauma

Post by KatieB Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if she had been traumatised by something in her past. Charlie still panics terribly every time he is picked up, and I have to do it twice a day.

All you can do is show her love x
KatieB
KatieB
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 17265
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:01 pm

I think she remembers something love if not everything and certain things trigger a certain response.  I agree, all you can do is keep on loving her and she will have lovely memories and happy things to think about.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:31 pm

I would suggest not leaning in to fuss her when you open the cage. Just open it and let her come to you when she is ready. It will help her to feel less stressed about the cage opening. I would wager that her past includes children opening the cage and immediately grabbing her and not letting go. Or open the cage and immediately offer a tasty healthy treat. Offer it to the front of the cage to encourage her to come over.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Would you do that at every cage opening or just the times she whimpers?
That is a good point if she was hurt when they opened the cage that would explain she thinks she gonna get hurt.
I'm also going to start taking note of what I am wearing and perfume incase that's what causing her to remember.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryl'n'bruce'flo Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Every time and forever. You need to show her that what ever it is she is fearing is definitely not going to happen.
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
cheryl'n'bruce'flo
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 7837
Registration date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm not an expert, but in your shoes I would be inclined to do as follows.
Fussing and comforting her may actually make things worse by reinforcing the fear. Making nothing of it, ignoring her behaviour will make her realise there is nothing to fear, hearing the mantra will also push the fear away.

Many rabbits hate travelling and I don't think she would associate cars/travel with being dumped. I think she just hates travel and has maybe now realised it usually means the vet.
You might help her overcome this fear by sitting with her in the car, with the engine running but not in motion. Just for, say, five minutes at first then gradually, when she appears more relaxed, make it a little longer then drive the car around... maybe just in and out of the garage, or down the street and back. Very short runs that have nothing bad about them i.e. no vet!
As for the cowering and whimpering.... that definitely sounds like bad memories. I would be inclined to have a Miranda Mantra! Make up something that you will say/sing to her over and over.... just a couple of sentences a short poem that is "hers" .. it can be anything, but always make it the same thing. Say it as you approach her cage, keep repeating it until you have made physical contact. Another good idea is to have a little treat with you to feed her immediately you open the door. The mantra will reassure her its you and everything is okay and the food/treat will reinforce that. She will quickly recognise her mantra but you may find she takes a time for the fear reaction to go away, but persevere and if she cowers in the cage keep saying her mantra and keep saying it as you stroke her, don't go all "mothering" just stroke her and calmly recite her mantra.
All my rabbits had their own "song". Clawed had her own version of the Champion the Wonder Horse song! On the darkest, wildest night she would hear me singing that and knew things were okay, it relaxed and reassured her. For Henry I sing the old Joe Brown song Henry the Eighth .... obviously.

woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 am

OK will try that will let you know if she settles next time she scared, it may be a while like I said previous this isn't a regular occurrence and is pretty random

Thanks for all your help

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Please keep us posted hun, poor little love.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down