Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And then, there was one.

3 posters

Go down

And then, there was one. Empty And then, there was one.

Post by SarahJane Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:26 pm

I've been pretty lucky with my rabbits, within a year I had four, I had Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Domino and Pebbles. Despite losing Mr Butter at just three years old, the rest have done really well and made it to old age. As you guys know, Jelly passed away at eight years old, and Domino this month at nine years and four months. I've managed to keep my "originals" for a long time, which is why it's been stressing me out about what to do for the best with Pebbles.

She was young when I got her, approximately nine months, and that was August 2007. She's a very healthy rabbit, with the exception of her eyes. A few months ago they both went white very quickly, and she now has glaucoma eye drops to help her twice a day. She's very partially sighted, almost blind. At 9.5 years old, it's been difficult deciding what to do for the best.

My first instinct was to get her an older friend, after all, she could live for another year or two yet if she's lucky. But, then I'm trapped in the cycle of old bunnies, who can't be insured which is something that is needed for my financial situation. Surprisingly, despite Domino being her true love, she's coping really well. I think it helps that she knew he was unwell, it stressed her out so I think she feels at peace now he's gone. I'm sure she's a little lonely, it can't be nice being alone after nine years of companionship. But, she's doing well.

I've decided that for now at least, she's going to stay a single lady. I feel like adding another rabbit into the mix confuses things in a way, and I feel like I want to try and see this chapter to the end, of my original four. After that, I'll probably go and adopt two young buns from a rescue and start again. They're difficult to look after with my health, so I tried to tell myself no more but...they bring me so much happiness they are worth the difficulties and the tiredness.

So, it's just me and Pebbles for a while. Here's hoping my little lady can make it to ten years old. Love

SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

And then, there was one. Empty Re: And then, there was one.

Post by woodwench Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 pm

A hard choice to make but I think probably the right one considering her age and your health. The two of you will grow even closer now.
Henry is an only bun. He never showed any interest in the other rabbits at the rescue where I got him from. He was a people rabbit. We have a very tight bond and understand each other really well. The bond you already have with Pebbles will deepen.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Yes they say ideally to be living as a pair. But what's ideally?
If an older bun looses his partner it is feasible to let them have the rest of retirement as a single bun. Plus you have to take in account you own health.
I believe you both will be just fine. And undivided attention from huh mum is something to be proud of?

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum