Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbit Insurance Comparisons

5 posters

Go down

Rabbit Insurance Comparisons Empty Rabbit Insurance Comparisons

Post by SarahJane Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:00 pm

I've been calling round insurers trying to get the best possible quote for Bertie, and I thought I'd outline costs here for others in case they are looking. Each insurer is different, and therefore fits each persons situation differently. I don't think there's a right and wrong one to go for, it's all about what you want covered and whether you want expensive with no surprises, or cheaper with more to pay out in the event of a claim.
Each quote is for an eight month old non pedigree healthy rabbit.

Pet Plan
Quote - £16.17
Cover - Lifetime.
Excess - (£75 I believe, but I have forgotten 100%, so please let me know if you have PP and this wrong). £55 for complementary.
Pay out - £2000 vet fees, and £750 complementary.
Benefits - good recommendations, high pay outs, plus they don't deduct 10% total costs for co insurance like Pets at Home do. They also pay for an illness for life, unlike pets at home.
Cons - High insurance price, and they will ask for a second excess of £55 if you need complementary treatment, even if you have already paid out the first excess for standard vet fees. They don't outright have a cap on medication costs, but if they feel you're vet is over charging for meds, they cannot guarantee a pay out.

Pets at Home
Quote - £8
Cover - One year for each condition.
Excess - £75 + 10% co insurance, so 10% of everything you claim.
Pay out - £1500, inc complementary therapy.
Benefits - cheap insurance, no second excess for comp treatments.
Cons - They only pay for a condition for one year, they deduct 10% of everything as co excess, and they have a cap on all medications, so if you're vet charges higher than they will pay, you pay the remainder.

Help U Cover
Quote: £8.73
Cover - Lifetime
Excess - £50 per condition (each year, if lifetime.)
Pay out - £2000, £750 complementary
Benefits - One excess even if you need both kinds of treatment on one condition, cheap quote plus reasonable excess. No cap whatsoever on medication as long as you're within your £2000, and no co excess.
Cons - they don't pay out for flystrike more than once. Not as well known as other insurers, so not as much word of mouth recommendations.

If you have any pros and cons to any of these insurers, please let me know as it could help other people decide.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Insurance Comparisons Empty Re: Rabbit Insurance Comparisons

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:09 pm

In my experience petplan will charge a percentage once your rabbit hits a certain age.

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:13 pm

cheryl'n'bruce'flo wrote:In my experience petplan will charge a percentage once your rabbit hits a certain age.
Oh really! They didn't say that on the phone, interesting. I think a lot of people rate PP, but their premiums are very high and in my personal experience they go up a LOT each year.

PAH, to be fair, never went up even with Domino and his illnesses. It's gone up about £1 in five years. I don't know what help U cover will do, but thats who I went with in the end.
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:13 pm

There one called agria it's supposed to be good haven't had a look myself yet but want to move my two away from petplan
Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

gemma997 wrote:There one called agria it's supposed to be good haven't had a look myself yet but want to move my two away  from petplan
Xxx

Oh really, I'll look into it and add the details. I think it would be good to have a place we can refer to for comparisons, although prices change all the time, it would be good to know. From what I found on todays search, the help u cover was the best. It offered the same level of cover as PP, with the exception of the higher monthly cost, and the two excess prices. I can't vouch for how good they are, but time will tell.

Pets at Home have paid out quickly, great customer service, but the 10% co excess and the deduction for expensive meds has lost me, I understand why theyve done it, they said they'll pay up to 100% mark up, but nothing over. And I understand why, but it means the pet owner pays for this, and thats not why I insure them at the end of the day. The co excess adds up to a lot over time too, so even though their policy is cheaper than PP, I feel like if you have a sick bunny its going to cost you more long term with PAH.

Help U Cover seemed like the best one, but, we shall see!
SarahJane
SarahJane
Senior Hopper
Senior Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:39 am

I am still with Petplan but I have noticed there are more and more insurance companies out there who have started to cover bunnies, good job too and about time! Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I have broken with pet plan completely. Wasn't a good experience on any bun.
With Agria now and the plan is better, cheaper and staff seems to know what they talk about.
Worth considering!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ears Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:54 pm

I think Pets at Home only do a lifetime policy now 'Premier' that's the one all mine have.

if I'd known about the co-insurance Petplan impose when they reach 7 years then l doubt l would have chosen them. My 8 year olds with Pp have excess of £105 plus 20 percent and premium of £220. They actually told me they didn't leave you to pay a percentage when l asked years ago.

Big Ears
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1000
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:56 am

If you asked and they said no then it's miss selling.
Phone them up and tell them to mark it as a complaint, it goes to someone thats works for alliance the underwriters. Only problem youll have is because it was so long ago the call might not be there.
Ask what it says on the account from when you took it out a note might have been left saying what you had discussed
Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down