Help! My bunnies won't bond after separation due to illness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help! My bunnies won't bond after separation due to illness

Post by CocoaNibblesMum on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:12 pm

I have two 5 month old bunnies (sisters) who have never been separated until recently when Cocoa got pneumonia. They were apart for 12 days and now they're home they're not getting along. Cocoa is really shy/timid & scared of her sister (Nibbles) when she comes near her and runs away, so then Nibbles chases her & tries to nip her. I'm so sad about it. Any suggestions, I just want them to get along like they used to!

CocoaNibblesMum
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! My bunnies won't bond after separation due to illness

Post by woodwench on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 pm

This could well have happened without the separation. Two does reaching sexual maturity don't always get along just because they are litter sisters.
Spaying might help, you could get Nibbles done while Cocoa recuperates. Then do Cocoa. Then try bonding in the usual manner. It might work but I wouldn't be too hopeful.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3535
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 am

Same as what woodwench says get them spayed and start the binding process again
Xxx
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:15 pm

CocoaNibblesMum wrote:I have two 5 month old bunnies (sisters) who have never been separated until recently when Cocoa got pneumonia. They were apart for 12 days and now they're home they're not getting along. Cocoa is really shy/timid & scared of her sister (Nibbles) when she comes near her and runs away, so then Nibbles chases her & tries to nip her. I'm so sad about it. Any suggestions, I just want them to get along like they used to!

If they are five months old they are reaching adult maturity, so while the separation did cause the bond to break, there would have been fighting and aggression anyway because they are reaching an age where they need to be spayed.

I'd pop them along to the vet and see when they can be spayed, five months may be a little young, they might want to wait until they are six months. Once the girls have been spayed and recovered fully, you can try to rebond them. Don't put them in their same accomodation, go for totally neutral space, white vinegar to remove smells, perhaps a small puppy pen etc, and then rebond them in neutral ground until you are confident they are bonded.

Then white vinegar their home, and hopefully they will go back stronger than before. Wave

Gone but never forgotten, Peanut Butter, Jelly, and Domino.
SarahJane
Forum Ambassador

Number of posts : 6018
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoaNibblesMum on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you for everyone's advice, we've bought another hutch & run & will do as you've advised. Cocoa already seems a bit less scared, so hopefully once fully recovered from pneumonia we can get them spayed & rebond them. Just relieved to see them both happy really at this stage. Appreciate all the great advice, thank you.

CocoaNibblesMum
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:39 am

All the best hunny
Hope she gets better soon

Xxx
gemma997