Introducing a friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introducing a friend

Post by Yorkie1981 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:49 am

Hi there, we've had our lovely rabbit Munro for 2 months now, he's 2 years old and at first he was getting on really well, running around our enclosed garden most of the day and following our little girl around Love but in the last few weeks he's started burrowing, and almost escaped under our fence. His hutch is 6ft on legs and we're looking to get a run attached so that he can't escape, which we will put on our decking. A few people have suggested we get another rabbit to keep him company and that may stop him from burrowing, I've found a place that bonds rabbits, I just need to find the rabbit, but my question is other than getting a female is there anything else I should consider? Does age and breed matter? I know from his previous owners that they got him with a female but they got rid of her as she kept biting him Sad

Thanks I advance

Yorkie1981
New Hopper
New Hopper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing a friend

Post by gemma997 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Usually size and breeds doesn't usually matter, I'd only watch size of it was a dwarf and a giant that's because I would be paranoid about accidental injury. I'd try about the same age though.

Just like every other mammal it just depends o what he likes. I know some rescues let you do a meet and great but how effective it is I'm not sure as rabbits act completely different in stressful situations.

The burrowing probably won't stop but he'll need a bunny friend anyways as rabbits are very social.

Xxx
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1079
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Usually size and breeds doesn't usually matter, I'd only watch size of it was a dwarf and a giant that's because I would be paranoid about accidental injury. I'd try about the same age though.

Just like every other mammal it just depends o what he likes. I know some rescues let you do a meet and great but how effective it is I'm not sure as rabbits act completely different in stressful situations.

The burrowing probably won't stop but he'll need a bunny friend anyways as rabbits are very social.

Xxx
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Sorry don't know why two popped up
Xxx
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie1981 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks Gemma, it's difficult to know where to get a rabbit from too, we adopted Munro from a family who no longer wanted him which I found through a friend, most people posting on gumtree and a local facebook site are selling baby rabbits, would this would be too young?

Yorkie1981
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie1981 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Love the name soundwave by the way!

Yorkie1981
New Hopper
New Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

I would try rescue centres first just due to not supporting selling live animals on websites like gum tree and that and rescues would have had the rabbits health checked.
They would also be able to give advice to you as well.

Is munro your first rabbit?

Thanks I get to pick the rabbits my partner names them lol

Xxx
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Please.. don't go to Gumtree or anywhere on line, it's awful how animals are sold like secondhand sofas ... or worse, given away "to a good home" where lord knows what fate awaits them.
Do look online for your local rescue.
First... both buns should be neutered (spayed if a doe) and a buck-doe bonding is generally best and remember its Munro who is choosing his friend, his idea of a good match may not be yours... I mean you might fancy a cute, pretty little thing whereas he is taken with a plainer doe (if there is such a thing as a plain bunny).
A good rescue will help you with bonding and their rabbits will be health checked and vaccinated and neutered/spayed.
Where size is concerned try to find a doe of a similar size remembering that small rabbits tend to live longer than big ones so being of a similar size and age increases the chances of them living together to a similar age.
I hope you find him a lovely wife.
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3543
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:38 am

Ditto the previous advice.
Find a rescue and get in touch with them.
This ensures your bunny is neutered and vaccinated and most do bunny speed dating.
Means you take him to te rescue and he chooses his hon bun.
This helps with bonding as first meeting is on neutral ground.
If you want to share which area you life we may have names of rescues in your area.

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:51 am

Please keep us updated love, I am sure the local rescues will have little bunnies wanting homes.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down