I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 pm

I've been battling with Junior and uneaten cecals for about 2 months.  I've tried everything I can think of so looking for any thoughts you guys might have?

In the early days of this pro-c would keep it at bay but 2 days after taking them off it it would start all over again. And it's not clearing it up this time round.

It's not all of them. I do see him eating some.

I've tried cutting out all veg/herbs and replacing with dried forage. Makes no difference.

I'm in the process of switching them to mature food. We are just about 100% mature food and no improvement (this was my last hope!).

He's fine otherwise. Eating fine. Bright eyed. Still zooming around. Still looking for treats every time I go into the kitchen.

I had him to the vet on 27th January because he stopped eating. Definite belly ache. Every time she touched a certain part of his belly he flinched.

I mentioned it when I was there and she suggested he could be getting a little stiff which might be putting him off eating them.  I'm not buying it to be honest. He seems fit as a fiddle. Binkies and zooms round with absolutely no sign of pain.

He HAS put on a teeny bit of weight. It's honestly not a lot. I blame the child and his banana habit Rolling Eyes

The vets tell me he has almost perfect teeth alignment.

I'm at a loss. And it's really starting to get me down because I can't get to the bottom of it Crying or Very sad

Any suggesting what could be doing it? Or what else I can try to stop it? Fibreplex isn't an option unfortunately. I've had 3 rabbits and not one of them would swallow that **** Laughing
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by woodwench on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:52 am

My buns all had a s.p. eating time ... generally in the evenings. If Junior also as a s.p. time watch him and see what he does. See if he eats some and leaves some. Clawed used to have s.p. issues, she would eat two out of every three she produced, the other was left for me to dispose of (or tread on with bare toes in the morning!). I asked my vet why she had suddenly started doing this and we had a good long, analytical talk about it.

Now you must remember I had Clawed back in the 1990's and rabbit medicine and dietary issues were very much in their infancy and things like "good rabbit vets" were still to appear. But my vet was a good vet and did right by my buns. Vaccination for myxi was only just taking off ... RHD didn't exist.
Non breeder pelleted foods were just becoming popular and that was what I had weaned Clawed onto. What my vet said was that, in his opinion, the best diet for a rabbit was a natural one... anything they would eat in the wild. That is what their digestive system is geared for and eating soft pellets enables them to get all the goodness they need from their natural food. Feeding manufactured foods like museli was bad in any number of ways (which we all know) but also, he believed, pellets could be problematical in that the manufacturers all set out to provide an all round food that provides all that the bun requires.... In other words they get all the nutrein without having the eat s.p's. But the s.p's will continue to be produced and because they are geared to eat them the buns do so but with reduced enthusiasm.
I was advised to get Clawed and my other buns onto as natural a diet as possible with plenty of hay.
I trusted my vet and what we had talked had about made sense. I got Clawed and the others onto as near a wild rabbit diet as I could and it did work. There was hardly ever a leftover s.p..
I'm not saying he was right but it made sense and it did help Clawed.

As for Junior stiffening up. That could also be right. Lil Loll you will recall had arthritis in both hips. He would still race around and binky to amazing heights during the early days but it did affect his ability to bend forward into the position required to take a pellet and after taking one or two he would leave any others after an abortive attempt to reach for them.
avatar
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3543
Age : 66
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:52 pm

I so hope he is right again soon love although if he is bouncing around and looking for treats, that is such a plus.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by iiisecondcreep on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Sounds like Philip! He is underweight but very active and always looking for food - he has NO shortage of appetite! He is on hay only with maybe half a dozen 1cm long bits of science selective and one 1" long bit of fibre first. Anymore and we are guaranteed uneaten caecals. If we collect forage for MJ then Philip will get one or 2 small leaves but thats it, he once had a small amount of dried forage and it gave him diarrhea. We also keep his bum clipped because he's pretty fluffy and sometimes the uneaten caecals stick to his fur.

We did have them for a short time on hay only (we cut out burgess excel and then introduced science selective) which seemed to help. We tried Pro-C as well but found like you it didn't work long term.

He seen my own vet and he's also been at the **** vet and they've not found any problems. They're obviously aware he's underweight but as long as he's maintaining his current weight they're happy - they've said they'd prefer he was underweight that constantly having a mucky bum.

Hopefully you find something that works for Junior.
avatar
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 1207
Age : 33
Location : Bonnybridge, Central Scotland
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:55 am

How is he today love, thank you for keeping us posted? I am so glad that the vet hasn't found anything wrong with him. I really hope he maintains his weight but the fact that he is eating is a big plus. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by KatieB on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:02 am

I had this issue with Daisyb, and from time to time he still doesnt eat them.... There didnt seem to be any reason for it, I think if he is healthy in every other way hun you shouldnt worry too much.

In all seriousness.... could it be banana? (although daisy doesnt like it and I still have the issue)



Katie, Daisy B, Charlie & Annabelle x
avatar
KatieB
Admin

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 17265
Age : 42
Location : Hampshire
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by c.bolduan on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Just catching up
Bunny not eating c's ehh?
First I would reduce pellets
What part of tummy makes him flinch?
I could sent you healthy cookies if you pm me your address.
Try infacol just in case?
Keep me posted ...

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 50
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Any news please love?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by c.bolduan on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Update please!

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 50
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:31 pm

woodwench wrote:My buns all had a s.p. eating time ... generally in the evenings. If Junior also as a s.p. time watch him and see what he does. See if he eats some and leaves some. Clawed used to have s.p. issues, she would eat two out of every three she produced, the other was left for me to dispose of (or tread on with bare toes in the morning!). I asked my vet why she had suddenly started doing this and we had a good long, analytical talk about it.

Now you must remember I had Clawed back in the 1990's and rabbit medicine and dietary issues were very much in their infancy and things like "good rabbit vets" were still to appear. But my vet was a good vet and did right by my buns. Vaccination for myxi was only just taking off ... RHD didn't exist.  
Non breeder pelleted foods were just becoming popular and that was what I had weaned Clawed onto. What my vet said was that, in his opinion, the best diet for a rabbit was a natural one... anything they would eat in the wild. That is what their digestive system is geared for and eating soft pellets enables them to get all the goodness they need from their natural food. Feeding manufactured foods like museli was bad in any number of ways (which we all know) but also, he believed, pellets could be problematical in that the manufacturers all set out to provide an all round food that provides all that the bun requires.... In other words they get all the nutrein without having the eat s.p's. But the s.p's will continue to be produced and because they are geared to eat them the buns do so but with reduced enthusiasm.
I was advised to get Clawed and my other buns onto as natural a diet as possible with plenty of hay.
I trusted my vet and what we had talked had about made sense. I got Clawed and the others onto as near a wild rabbit diet as I could and it did work. There was hardly ever a leftover s.p..
I'm not saying he was right but it made sense and it did help Clawed.

As for Junior stiffening up. That could also be right. Lil Loll you will recall had arthritis in both hips. He would still race around and binky to amazing heights during the early days but it did affect his ability to bend forward into the position required to take a pellet and after taking one or two he would leave any others after an abortive attempt to reach for them.
He seems to eat them downstairs but not upstairs in the pen!

What you're saying re diet makes a lot of sense. This is what I was kind of trying to do with the dried forage but I failed to consider the pellets Rolling Eyes They're kind of reducing pellets themselves anyway. Not keen on the mature nuggets Laughing They're both very good hay eaters but Junior especially.

Thanks for the thoughts re him possibly getting sore and stiff. I will most definitely keep it in mind.
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:34 pm

iiisecondcreep wrote:Sounds like Philip!  He is underweight but very active and always looking for food - he has NO shortage of appetite! He is on hay only with maybe half a dozen 1cm long bits of science selective and one 1" long bit of fibre first. Anymore and we are guaranteed uneaten caecals. If we collect forage for MJ then Philip will get one or 2 small leaves but thats it, he once had a small amount of dried forage and it gave him diarrhea. We also keep his bum clipped because he's pretty fluffy and sometimes the uneaten caecals stick to his fur.

We did have them for a short time on hay only (we cut out burgess excel and then introduced science selective) which seemed to help. We tried Pro-C as well but found like you it didn't work long term.

He seen my own vet and he's also been at the **** vet and they've not found any problems. They're obviously aware he's underweight but as long as he's maintaining his current weight they're happy - they've said they'd prefer he was underweight that constantly having a mucky bum.

Hopefully you find something that works for Junior.
I clean forgot you were having this problem too!!!

Thanks for your thoughts, your post along with Woodwench's has me wondering about the nuggets...

Yeah I've made me think... I'm going to try weighing him once a week. I say try because, well, you know what my two are like Laughing Everything is a battle Laughing

avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:38 pm

KatieB wrote:I had this issue with Daisyb, and from time to time he still doesnt eat them.... There didnt seem to be any reason for it, I think if he is healthy in every other way hun you shouldnt worry too much.  

In all seriousness.... could it be banana? (although daisy doesnt like it and I still have the issue)

Thanks, the bit in bold is reassuring. He is def fine in every other way.

I guess it could be. They used to get a tiny slice on a Friday and Saturday night pre child but now they seem to be getting a much smaller bit daily Embarassed I think I need to man up and not give them it. As horrible as that will be because they run crazy round the room as soon as it appears! I'll try fob them off with some fiba first instead.
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:42 pm

c.bolduan wrote:Just catching up
Bunny not eating c's ehh?
First I would reduce pellets
What part of tummy makes him flinch?
I could sent you healthy cookies if you pm me your address.
Try infacol just in case?
Keep me posted ...
Another vote for pellets possibly being the issue! Hmm...

The tummy flinching was just when we were at the vet that day Smile He hasn't grumbled at me poking about since.

Are you sure about sending cookies? Don't want to be a pain!
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

jolovesbunnies wrote:Any news please love?

Hugs
JO xx

c.bolduan wrote:Update please!
Sorry ladies!!! Embarassed

You know what? He has been not too bad the last few days. Only a few tiny cecals not eaten. As I mentioned further up ^ they aren't too keen on the mature nuggets though so maybe it is nuggets that are doing it. But they did eat the whole lot this morning so it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next day or so!

They are currently ripping a hay tunnel to shreds. Not a care in the world!!!
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by gemma997 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Hopefully he now on the mend

Xxx
avatar
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 1079
Age : 34
Location : Glasgow
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:28 pm

That is good news hunni, everything crossed.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by woodwench on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: mature pellets .... they don't like any hint that they have to grow up and they certainly don't wanna grow old! It's unthinkable, an elderly Junior and as for Molly.... false teef and zimmer frame ... not her style!
avatar
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3543
Age : 66
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:41 am

Laughing Laughing

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by c.bolduan on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 am

Thumper2001 wrote:
c.bolduan wrote:Just catching up
Bunny not eating c's ehh?
First I would reduce pellets
What part of tummy makes him flinch?
I could sent you healthy cookies if you pm me your address.
Try infacol just in case?
Keep me posted ...
Another vote for pellets possibly being the issue! Hmm...

The tummy flinching was just when we were at the vet that day Smile He hasn't grumbled at me poking about since.

Are you sure about sending cookies? Don't want to be a pain!
You would not be a pain neither are the two. You know I got a soft spot for Junior Love
Pm me your address and I will send a nice little assortment. Happy Dance Laughing

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 50
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Thumper2001 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Sorry, Claudia! I completely forgot about this! Do you still want me to send addres? If not don't worry about it Smile

As mentioned in another thread I had Junior to the vet about his dodgy eye. While I was there I brought this up with the vet again. The vet we usually see.

He told me to stop worrying about this. Junior has gotten into a lazy habit and has decided he prefers fresh food to "recycled" food. I asked about him losing nutrients and he told me if he was a wild rabbit he would worry but Junior is getting everything he needs from his pellets, hay and limited fruit/veg/herbs.

I trust this vet. He's the one I always want when we go there. But I was surprised to hear this come out of his mouth.

He pretty much told me to just manage it. The problem might resolve itself, it might not.

I don't know what I'm asking. I'm just putting it out there I guess!

Hmmm
avatar
Thumper2001
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 13208
Age : 33
Location : In a mad house!
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by iiisecondcreep on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:23 am

Thumper2001 wrote:
He told me to stop worrying about this. Junior has gotten into a lazy habit and has decided he prefers fresh food to "recycled" food. I asked about him losing nutrients and he told me if he was a wild rabbit he would worry but Junior is getting everything he needs from his pellets, hay and limited fruit/veg/herbs.


Glad your mind has been put to rest! This is pretty much what I was told about Philip Thumbs Up
avatar
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 1207
Age : 33
Location : Bonnybridge, Central Scotland
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by jolovesbunnies on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am

I am so pleased to hear this love and you can stop worrying. Thanks for the updates. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 11430
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by c.bolduan on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Thumper2001 wrote:Sorry, Claudia! I completely forgot about this! Do you still want me to send addres? If not don't worry about it Smile

As mentioned in another thread I had Junior to the vet about his dodgy eye. While I was there I brought this up with the vet again. The vet we usually see.

He told me to stop worrying about this. Junior has gotten into a lazy habit and has decided he prefers fresh food to "recycled" food. I asked about him losing nutrients and he told me if he was a wild rabbit he would worry but Junior is getting everything he needs from his pellets, hay and limited fruit/veg/herbs.

I trust this vet. He's the one I always want when we go there. But I was surprised to hear this come out of his mouth.

He pretty much told me to just manage it. The problem might resolve itself, it might not.


I don't know what I'm asking. I'm just putting it out there I guess


Y

Hmmm

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 50
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by c.bolduan on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello
Just catches my up
Again
Please send me your address.xxx

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Gender : Female
Number of posts : 3084
Age : 50
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm having a nightmare with Junior - any thoughts please?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum