Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HE'S OUT!!!!!!!

3 posters

Go down

HE'S OUT!!!!!!! Empty HE'S OUT!!!!!!!

Post by woodwench Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 pm

I couldn't take the chewing.
This afternoon, about three o'clock, I opened up a gap in the pen and waited. He put his head and shoulders out and the turned back to chew the bars again! I couldn't believe it.
I left the gap open and carried on with my jobs. At half past five, I had just finished my meal, when a little grey rabbit hopped into the sitting room!
Then all hell broke loose.
He was into everything. He went places none of my other buns had even dreamt of going! And fast, he was greased lightning. It was exhausting and I couldn't keep up. He had to check out everything! I tried to get hold of him, he did come over a couple of times when I called but after a quick stroke he was off again.
After an hour and a half he went back into the crate of his own accord to visit his tray and have a snack. I shut him in and after half an hour I checked on him and he was stretched out, half asleep!

So he's free roamed for a short while and he will come out again tomorrow. Hopefully the more he is out and the newness of it all wears off, he will steady down a bit and I won't be so knackered. I'm too old to keep up!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

HE'S OUT!!!!!!! Empty Re: HE'S OUT!!!!!!!

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am

He sounds like a manic little chap love but he will calm down. It is all so new at the moment and cannot be investigated fast enough. Every dark place is a prospective burrow at the moment. Thanks for the updates.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Manic is putting it mildly, Jo.
He's Crazy!
He got stuck in/on the magazine rack this morning. He jumped on it and of course all fours legs sank between the mags and he was stuck and struggling.
Then, five minutes later he was in the bathroom and managed to get himself into the swing bin! He is so damned quick and so determined to get into inaccessible places. He is too busy exploring to bother about me. I hardly get to have a stroke.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:10 pm

A friend of mine has a bunny like that Woodwench love and not only is she a very hectic bun but also very intelligent. My friend says she can see her working things out. I cannot help laughing when they get themselves into a situation and then panic. Holly panics if Mr chewy box falls on top of her and she is running around the sitting room wearing him lol! Thanks for the updates hunni and I hope he calms down a little for you soon. Very Happy

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 pm

There's been a little calming. But somehow I've rearranged quite a lot of my sitting room as well.
He still gets into 'situations' though. Tonight I thought it was curtains! He raced straight up the stairs and then spun round and started down. His rear is heavier than his front and pushed him faster and faster and in a second he was going to lose control and death or broken bones would result. I lunged and caught him! A stair gate is needed.
But the into everything behavior is easing up a little. He still seems obsessed with standing on his hinders, fore paws on the wall, gazing upwards. He has a compulsion to get on top of things. And there are a couple of pieces of furniture he is desperate to get under, but unless he is run over by a steam roller he's never going to make it!
Bunny 500's and binkies are staring to take over from nosey-parkering.
Yes, he is quite bright.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 pm

What a good job you were there to catch him love and I am glad he is starting to calm down. When we first bought Holly home she raced from one room to the next and had limitless energy. Holly is a climber too and likes to get on top of furniture and I thought bunnies were scared of heights Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Jo, he's HEll to live with. The nosey-parkering behavior has eased up but a more serious kind as taken over. He doesn't dash from one thing to another quite so much, he now lingers and looks for mischief. The stairs were bad enough but he leapt onto the shelf in the alcove this morning and I just caught the TV as he reared up and tipped it forward. Five minutes later he jumped onto my desk and my lap top went flying... fortunately it fell into my armchair and wasn't damaged. I can't take my eyes off him for a second and since he's been coming out of the pen he won't have anything to do with me. My rooms are too small to erect barriers comfortably. I've removed things that allowed him to jump from one thing to another, now he just jumps.
In the pen he chews the bars but worst of all he shakes them which rattles the crate and I can't sleep for it. My nerves are shot. I'm not up to this, after all my health problems last winter I was just starting to recover my strength (in all fields) but now I'm starting to feel I'm slipping back.
I'm seriously thinking of taking him back to rescue ... it needs someone younger, fit and with plenty of time to sort him. He's not going to calm down and be the kind of relaxed, trustworthy (to an acceptable degree) houserabbit like my other four were.... He's making me ill.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:37 pm

After my last post I took myself off out of earring of him and had a couple of hours sleep. When I got up I was relaxed again, I had been so wound up. I went into the dining room but ignored him in his cage. Had a meal in my sitting room and watched TV (so thankful it survived) then I went and opened the door on the crate ... didn't speak to him or look at him. I went back into the sitting room and settled in my arm chair. A couple of minutes later he appeared in the doorway and he looked quite puzzled and uncertain. I watched out of the corner of my eye. He hopped quietly round the room came and nudged my leg then did another hop round and again nudged my leg. I put my hand down and touched his back but didn't try to do more. I never spoke. He went back into the dining room. All was quiet. After about half an hour I got up and went through the dining room into the kitchen to do the washing up. He was lying on the rug beside his cage looking rather sorry for himself.
After a minute or so he followed me into the kitchen and hopped around a while. No trouble until he went into the bathroom and knocked a basket of medical creams off a low shelf. I went in and collected up the spillage and put it away without saying a word. He followed me out and went back into the dining room INTO HIS CRATE!
Finishing the washing up I put his veg bowl in the crate, still without a word or a look and went back to watch TV. After half an hour he came back into the sitting room, hopped around a while then went behind my desk and started digging the carpet.
I got up, left the room and went into the kitchen and began doing a few noisy things. He set off on a mad dash around the sitting room and then soon followed me.
When I went back to watch Countryfile he actually went into his pen and began tearing into his carrot cottage.... the door was open and he went in of his own accord.
He's not been back in the sitting room since 6-45 and it's now 11-15. I've heard him playing with his toys and the cottage. He was stretched out in the pen all relaxed and content when I went to make a drink about 9-30 and he's still there ... with the door open!

Was my following him and telling him off giving him attention and enforcing his naughtiness... like it does with dogs? Was he picking up on my tension? Was he taking my behavior as a part of a game?
I'm so much more relaxed now and he has been a very good, quiet boy all evening. I'm not sure where I go from here but HE'S NOT GOING BACK TO THE ARK! I hope I can make something of our relationship. I'm not sure what he will be like tomorrow, or the next day nor how I will deal with it. I expect it may be two steps forward and one back for some time and
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Oh Woodwench love, I am sorry you are having such a trying time with him and I really hope he will become quieter. It sounds as if you are doing the right thing by him and he is behaving accordingly and not being so naughty. I am glad he is not going back to the Ark but I would fully understand it if he wasn't making any attempt to settle down. As you say you have been ill and you don't need this. I am glad things are going in the right direction though hunni, thanks for keeping us posted. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsknickers Wed May 03, 2017 1:24 pm

How is little chap getting on now? Any signs of things calming?
Catsknickers
Catsknickers
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 12740
Registration date : 2008-06-22

http://www.rspca-lincoln.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum