Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RING ANY BELLS FOLKS?

3 posters

Go down

RING ANY BELLS FOLKS? Empty RING ANY BELLS FOLKS?

Post by woodwench Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

I've just emailed this to Ros Lamb at the RWAF. But thought I'd post it here as it might ring a bell with someone.
This is what's going on with Reboot.

He's got me and his vet puzzled.

This is what is happening.

I began to notice about 3 weeks ago (the time I stopped foraging for wild foods) that he was not gobbling all his food down in one go. He would return to his plate of greens a couple of times, usually within the hour. I also noticed he would have a few nuggets left in his dish in the morning but thought that might be because he had been eating either a hay cake or a fibafirst stick the previous evening.

He was his usual cheeky self, though maybe not so inclined to race off so fast or with such high binkies after a game, but he was still doing mad half hours.

Then the middle of last week (not this week ending, the one before) there was a definite air of quietness about him, he was still eating okay but his poops had shrunk a little and were drier than I'd like. I gave him a few more greens to help and began to watch carefully. A pattern emerged. A good day with virtually normal behaviour that was encouraging and made me think I was on the right track, then there was a bad day where he was quite and just not very interested in anything but not bad enough to consider a vet visit, he always perked up in the evening. This good day/bad day became two bad to one good and last weekend he stopped stretching out by the fire and went to lie behind my chair. He stopped coming for cuddles.

His poos were still smallish but still plenty of them and his tum felt soft and relaxed and he was still eating, he was peeing normal (though not drinking so I felt the greens and veg very important to provide gut motility), his coat glossy though he was starting a moulting stripe across his nose.

Anyway by the beginning of the week I was becoming really concerned so that I took him to see Alex (vet) on Wed. morning. He gave him a thorough check but the only thing he noticed was that he reacted like he was tender when he touch around his colon area. But he could feel no mass and no gas. So he prescribed Zantac 0.8 twice a day.

Giving him the Zantac as become a fight for survival ... for both of us, he wriggles and bites and it is very stressful for us both and it doesn't seem to be helping. He has gradually given up eating hay and greens ... even his bit of apple he only nibbles at. He won't drink water (I've only seen him drink once all the time I've had him). He hardly moves. He sits or lies in the breadloaf position all the time. He looks so depressed, gazing into space. sometimes sitting and slightly rocking back and forth. There's no go in him, no spark.

At the vets this morning Alex felt no change in him. He weighed him and said he had gained a little weight! He gave him 0.1x Vetergesic and changed the Zantac for Cisapride 0.25 mls twice a day and gave him the first dose at the surgery. He is going back on Monday morning to have X-rays done and get a good inspection of his teeth though they appeared okay when scoped.

At home he is sitting in a corner looking 'old' and miserable, the drugs have made no difference and they were given at 10-35 and it's now 13-33. He ate a Fenugreek cruncher I offered but won't go near his veggies or his nuggets. He turns away from some readigrass that up until last night he would eat.

He has been prone to hiccoughs, especially over the last month or so, and gets them every other day or so. I've never known a bun get them so often.

I'm at my wits end and worried sick.

Does any of this ring a bell with you? Can you offer any ideas?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

RING ANY BELLS FOLKS? Empty Re: RING ANY BELLS FOLKS?

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:38 pm

I am so sorry darling but I haven't a clue what this could be. My heart really goes out to you and I wish there was something I could do. Please keep us posted.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Thundercracker goes off his food when he over stressed but he never gets the hiccoughs so wouldnt sayit was that. 

Sorry sweetie 

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Thank you darling for the update, I wish he would make some progress and stop worrying his mummy to death.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

He had one helluva night ...sorry WE had one helluva night last night. He was in considerable pain in the early evening and I was phoning the vet and, because Alex had thought that amongst all the possible causes stress was an outside possibility, I phoned Anne McBride and asked her if that was possible. Anne was certain NO and she gave me the emergency number of John Chitty for Alex to use if he needed to consult. Alex told me to get the cisipride into him and give it an hour or so, then if he was still in pain to bring him in. He knows John Chitty and was ok about consulting him if needed.
I got the cisipride into him thanks to injecting it in a mini shredded wheat and wiping that over with Fibreplex. Then by midnight he was lying in the bread loaf position with eyes shut and looking a tad more relaxed. I sat and read until nearly one o'clock then, as he was still looking relaxed, I lay down on the hearth rug and slept. I woke about half past four and went to the loo, built up the fire and saw he had moved from the 'poorly' corner back behind my chair. I scattered a few dried herbs and some cabbage and kale near him and he began nibbling the dried dandelion. So I got a fenugreek cruncher and put Fibreplex on it and he ate that.
I went back to sleep and woke at eight o'clock to him nudging me knee. I gave him the medicated shreddie again and he ate it eagerly and then some cabbage. I rang Alex at nine thirty to give him an update and while we were talking Reboot went to his tray and produced about half an eggcup of droppings, smallish and not misshapen but black and hard. But he was hopping easily and when he came back he began eating like it was going out of fashion, he ate cabbage, kale, Burgess and herbs and was back pooping at ten thirty. This time bigger poos, about two thirds the size I want to see and they were mostly egg shaped, black and hard. But that was two poos in a hour.
He slept all afternoon and I got on cleaning the utility room, kitchen and dining room and then I was getting my meal ready about three thirty when he hopped through and took a quick look round the utility room, then he popped up on his chair in the dining room and finally went back into the sitting room where he was on my desk chair when I went in. He hopped down and started begging because he knows he gets a tiny taste of toast at that time of day! I told him not yet and he suddenly shot up into a binky!
Since then he's been sprawled out napping, eating a bit of this and that and at eight o'clock this evening he went and did another poo, smallish, black and hard ... but poo.
He's just had his cisipride on shreddies and eaten a few nuggets and a fenugreek with Fibreplex on. And now is sprawled full stretch looking relaxed.

If he carries on like this I shall talk with Alex first thing in the morning and determine whether he thinks it's best to X-ray him (because this came on so slowly I wonder if there is a bad cause for it) or to let him recover and monitor him before (if) we do X-rays.

So .... he is not in pain, he's eating, pooing, taking his meds and relaxing. I shall be glad when the mischief starts again.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 am

What a relief for your sweetie, I am so glad he is on the mend. I did say a prayer last night and I think it worked. Eating is the sure way to gauge if an animal is poorly or not and it sounds like he is making up for lost time. Thank you for the updates sweetie and for keeping us informed. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Short lived relief I'm afraid Jo.
Overnight he began to slip back.... he hadn't been to the tray since 8 last night when I took him to the vets at 10 this morning and he was picking at his food and looking old and depressed again.

He's having X-rays, a barrage of blood tests and a dental inspection. I'm dreading the vet ringing at 2 o'clock but also I can't wait for him to call... the waiting is killing me. And I have a very bad feeling about what he will say.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 pm

The waiting is horrible. 
Hopefully know sonething soon 

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am

Oh my darling, I am so very sorry about this.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down