Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hay only diet

4 posters

Go down

Hay only diet Empty Hay only diet

Post by woodwench Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am

Has anyone ever had a rabbit on an hay only diet?
After his awful bloat episode Reboot is now getting no greens at all... well, no kale, cabbage etc.. He does get carrot tops and herbs. He has an egg cup full of a mix of Burgess and a muesli food but the rest is a variety of hays. The amount of muesli mix is negligible considering the amount of hay he eats, it's about the equivalent of a desert spoonful.
The reason I'm asking about hay only is that I'm wondering if Reboot would benefit from hay only. He does eat well now but he still has the "good day/bad day" thing and even though I've discussed it with his vet I'm not 100% convinced that his depressed days are caused by soreness from him overdoing things on his good days.
On his good days he is quite interested in things, shows signs of his old cheeky self but never quite completes whatever mischief he appeared intent upon doing. What makes it look like a lingering soreness from his leg is that there have been no proper binkies and no racing around with high leaps and kick backs. He will do mad dashes around and small binky type jumps and that's when I'm convinced it is his leg and a matter of time before all his well again. But after a couple of days of nosey/cheeky/dashing bun he will become a quiet, sorry for himself bun .... ithat's when I remember the bloat and start wondering if there's a gut prob after all, BUT he eats well.
If this was your bun what would you do?
On the one hand he is eating well and on the other he seems to be making slow progress (if any) on recovery from his injury.
Yesterday he was very quiet all day, ate ok but showed no real interest in anything. This morning seems one minute to be depressed, the next he's looking better but is still quiet.
It's driving me nuts. After everything that's happened (and this all began in the last week of Nov.) I've got to the point where I'm wondering how much is actuality and how much my over concerned imagination. Should I go hay only to see if it's diet? Or should I do like the vet says and bide my time and give his leg recovery space?
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Hay only diet Empty Re: Hay only diet

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Sorry love, I have never heard of this or know anyone who has had one. I think I would choose that later at least for now hunny and see how thing go. I can understand how wretched all this is for you. Virtual hugs are on their way. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Our boys were on a hay only diet for a while due to Philips dodgy tum (uneaten caecotrophs, constant mucky bum).

After a while (I don't remember how long) we slowly re-introduced a small amount of pellets and the odd bit of grass and it seems to have helped. I still rarely feed anything other than hay and pellets. MJ gets the odd carrot top and they sometimes get a bit of grass but no veg. We also switched them from burgess excel to science selective.

Its definitely helped Philips tum. Apart from the mucky bum he never appeared unhappy or uncomfortable but obviously constant mucky bum isn't good.
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Reboot has a spotless bot! Always has had. He is eating and pooing well.
It's this good-day -- bad-day thing that's getting me down. Sometimes I think it's his leg and sometimes something else, but what I haven't a clue. Today he started off looking down in the dumps but suddenly perked up and was a right sh*t when I wanted to go out, he refused to be shut in the dining room and wanted the run of it and the sitting room too. I wasn't having him unsupervised in my sitting room so I lured him into his crate with a fenugreek crunchie. I left quick while he was still chomping and when I got back his crate had been trashed!
I gave his claim docs to the vet for them to fill in today.... keep your fingers crossed, I paid over £800 in fees and boarding and I hope To get at least £700 back.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 pm

If he is playing you up love, he is definitely on the mend. Good luck with getting your money back.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by c.bolduan Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I give gruenhopper adult with hay and only a few pellets sprinkle in
Guess it could be a replacement for fresh greens

c.bolduan
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 3124
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Had a chat with Anne McBride over the weekend and training is now resumed. She thinks I have one spoiled bun who is taking advantage of me and maybe even trying it on and playing the old soldier.
He is continuing on hays and an egg cup of Burgess & muesli mix and herbs.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:18 pm

I hope he gets well soon hunni and I think all our bunnies are spoilt, we adore them. Holly can wrap me around her little paw too LOL! I hope the training proves to be fruitful. Hugs

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down