Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reboot at Emergency vet

5 posters

Go down

Reboot at Emergency vet Empty Reboot at Emergency vet

Post by woodwench Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:22 pm

This morning, Sunday, Reboot wouldn't touch food of any kind.
I had got up and gone out without going in to see Reboot, my friends up the village are in a bad way and I pop in to help their son in the morning for half an hour. Mike had had a bad fall on 26th May (his 87th birthday) and broken his arm in 2 places, he is the carer for his wife (also 87) who has Alzheimer's and he is terminally ill with cancer. So things are not good with them. Anyway, getting home about 8-45 I put Reboot his burgess down in his treat ball.... no response and he reckons to go mad for his treat ball brekkie. I offered mint and parsley and dandelion.... no response and he was definitely in a lot of discomfort. I phoned the Out of Hours vet. Now, my vet and my old vets (the ones I fell out with after Loll) have joined forces to offer an out of hours service between them and today it was the old practice covering calls. I was not happy having to take him to them but as it turned out the young vet I saw was very good (not like the practice owner I clashed with over Loll).
Reboot was/is gasy in his tum and after a long discussion of his history the vet gave him 3 injections (the usual ones for pre-stasis which I cannot spell without an itemised bill) and sent us home with Renitodine.
Reboot is eating but not with any enthusiasm, but enough to let me off syringe feeding for tonight. I shall need to speak to his vet in the morning and, depending how he is then, either take him in or wait a few days then get him in for a check of his hind legs/hips. We think maybe this tummy problem is caused by pain and stress from either the first injury or the one last winter. Or both. Whichever injury it is making him reluctant to move. Either the fracture from last Nov. isn't healed properly or the old injury Alex saw on his left leg is playing up. We need to find out which.
So I'm not a happy bunny myself: Reboot poorly, a friend dying and the other friend facing going into a care home when he does. And my laptop is fading too. It's not good at my house right now... I feel very upset and the stress of it all as sent me into full on LPR and IBS so that about puts the cherry on the icing.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Reboot at Emergency vet Empty Re: Reboot at Emergency vet

Post by jolovesbunnies Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:14 am

Oh my darling, I am so sorry to hear this and I so wish I could be there to comfort you. Things are really bad for you at the moment and I wish there was something I could do. Please let us know as soon as you get back from the vets. Hugs Hugs

Lots of love
Jo xxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Not another one Sad It had been a bad few days for bunnies.

How is he today?

I’m sorry to hear about your friends. I know how much they mean to you. Like Jo, I wish there was something I could do to help.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm home from the vet but Reboot is there still having X-rays and bloods done. He had a poor night, he did eat a little voluntarily and he pooed but the poos were small, though not hard and misshapen. I had a long discussion with his vet this morning and talked over how he has been since the leg injury last Nov/Dec., how he seems to have a few days getting better and more active then suddenly he becomes reluctant to play/run/binky etc and shows signs of discomfort in varying degrees in his rear quarters. We talked about the possibility that this tummy episode may be pain related and how perhaps he injured his crusiate ligament when he fractured his leg. Or, perhaps he hurt his spine. We hope for something to show on the X-rays but the chances are I may have to take him to Wakefield (Yorkshire) for scans to be done.
I'm not a happy camper ...

Update at 15-45. Reboot being kept at vets overnight and I'm waiting to hear from his vet who wants to consult another vet over X-rays!
Getting very worried now.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm sorry to hear Reboot isn't well, hopefully you get some answers soon. Poor fella Hugs

Thats very sad about your friends Sad Hugs
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 am

Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry to hear this, everything crossed here and lots of love on its way.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:51 am

I'm collecting him from the vets at 1pm. The vet wants to talk to me then .... fingers, and everything else cross-able, is crossed.

UPDATE: been home about an hour. Verdict: Reboot has arthritis in the last lumbar vertebra. That was what brought on the anorexia. He's eating a little, gradually more and he's on 0.5 Loxicom a day and the vet hopes he will be off that by Fri. and only need it when he's having a 'bad day'.
Not the best news for a 2yr old rabbit but it could be a lot worse.

At the moment he is in and out of his litter tray as his tum is still a bit poorly but it should settle soon. I may have to syringe feed him Recovery but at the moment it's sprinkled on his burgess and his museli and he has eaten a little since he came home an hour ago.

UPDATE 2: 5-45 back at vets. Kept in. Stasis!
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 pm

oh no, keep us posted, I hope he is home soon xx Hugs
iiisecondcreep
iiisecondcreep
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 am

9-15am: spoke to Reboot's vet about 5 minutes ago.
They are keeping him in another night. Things are serious and it's touch and go! It could go either way with him.
I'm going crazy here.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:45 am

Oh my darling, I so wish I could be there with you. Do you have a friend you can turn to? I am sending lots and lots of hugs and hope they help in some way. Please keep us posted. Hugs Hugs

Lots of love
Jo xxxx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Im really sorry woodwench.
Sending you lots of love and hugs.

Xxxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:48 pm

How are things sweetie?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 pm

There's no change ... he's picking bits of food and he is drinking but as far as his gut is concerned  ... no change and his vet say's his chances are 50 - 50 but the longer this goes on the more the odds are against him

I put up a BIG box of foods, hays and such today  and delivered them. There was everything I could think of that might tempt him.

Yesterday was one of the worst of my life. The news that Reboot is in so much trouble and my friend Mike unlikely to ever leave Hospital is bad enough but calling on his wife, Meg, my best friend for 43yrs, to discover she was hours away from being taken into a care home was the final straw..
My life has had the core ripped away and my bun, who was my mainstay, is so very poorly.
I'm a mess.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Oh Woodwench, I am so sorry to read all that is going on.

Reading the bit where you said he is eating a little bit here and there made me wonder about his teeth! Have they checked them? I’m of course not saying your Vet has misdiagnosed arthritis, but are they sure his teeth aren’t bothering him?

I’m sorry to hear about Mike and Meg too. My friends grandmother was recently taken into a care home but it’s a lovely place with company for her all day long if she wants it. Could this the same for Meg? Care homes have such a bad reputation but some of them are nice places and sometimes it is the best place for them.

Keep us posted Hugs
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 am

Thumper: it's not his teeth, they checked those while he was sedated for the X-rays and they are fine. The X-rays show definite signs of arthritis on his last lumbar vertebra which his vet says can be handled with Loxicom as and when needed.
Meg has Alzheimer's in the penultimate stage and she has been taken from the place where she lived for almost 60 years.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thumper2001 Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 am

Has there been any news on Reboot this morning?

Poor Meg. Sounds like her whole world has been turned upside down.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm

I just don't know what to say sweetie, except I wish there were something I could do. You are having an absolutely rotten time all round and that this should happen to you friends also is unbelievable. I am sending lots and lots of love and really hope you get some good news soon.

Lots of love
Jo

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 pm

UPDATE; Just spoke to vet. He's eating and pooping and I can take him home tomorrow morning!
That's twice Reboot has had his gut rebooted.... should I change his name?
Mike seems to be rallying a little. He was in and out of delirium until yesterday, now the drugs seem to be working on the lung infection. Adam, his son, has a meeting with the Dr today so will get a clearer picture of how things stand this evening. He probably won't ever come home as his cancer is now taking a big toll and he is really very weak.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Name auits since he neess to be rebootes every now and then.
Glad he on the mend and on his way home.

Hope things get sorted for your friend. Hugs Hugs

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:24 pm

I am so happy to hear about Reboot love, what wonderful news. I am sorry to hear about your friend though. What a rotten thing for he, his family and friends to go through. I will pray for them.

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down