Happy Hoppers Rabbit Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REBOOT Stasis aftercare

5 posters

Go down

REBOOT Stasis aftercare Empty REBOOT Stasis aftercare

Post by woodwench Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Reboot is home but as far as I can tell at the moment (after being here an hour) there is not a great improvement since Tuesday.
He has been on Cisapride and Loxicom at the vets. They stopped the Cisapride yesterday and he is still on Loxicom (0.5) once a day. He still seems in some discomfort and seems to be having to strain to wee. He is drinking and he is eating a little. He looked in the sitting room but seems to want to stay in his crate, and that's not his favourite place. I'm trying not to watching him or keep checking on him too much. I don't want him picking up on my stress more than needs be.
The vet advised to avoid syringe feeding if possible as it stresses him and my hurt his back if he struggles.

I'm going to try and give him his daily Loxicom on a mini shredded wheat this afternoon or a carrot biscuit if he refuses that.

As anyone nursed a rabbit back after stasis? Any advice?

Last edited by woodwench on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 4219
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

REBOOT Stasis aftercare Empty Re: REBOOT Stasis aftercare

Post by Thumper2001 Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm

I’m glad he’s home. Not so good he’s still out of sorts tho Sad

When my two have had stasis they also want to retreat to their safe place. I just try to keep things quiet for them and pop my head in frequently. I know exactly what you mean re not constantly watch. They just know when you’re hovering with concern.

I hit the plantain when they’re like this. It’s usually that that will get them eating again.

Hope he picks up soon.
Thumper2001
Thumper2001
Admin

Number of posts : 13766
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Thumper: He's been eating dried plantain, dried dandelion and dried blackcurrant leaves. He's also now eating a mix of museli and burgess and some hay.
I think coming home stressed him. After posting the above I phoned the nurse who cared for him over New Year and during that call, when I was concentrating on my conversation with her, he started to relax. Twenty minutes ago he came in the sitting room, hopped in my chair and then out of it, DID A BINKY and then came for fuss!
I've not been able to get the Loxicom into him but after seeing that binky I feel his arthritis isn't playing him up and as he is eating increasingly well I'm hanging back from syringing Loxicom just in case it upsets how he seems to be settling. I shall concentrate on getting him back to a good eating routine then experiment with ways of getting the loxicom into him. I think the eating is priority.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I am so pleased to hear this hunni and I agree, if he is doing well don't try and get anything else into him. If he is eating that is a really good sign. Thanks for the updates. Very Happy

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Number of posts : 11948
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 pm

He had a good evening and was OK until 4-30 this morning (Sunday). I went to the bathroom at that time and he went to his litter tray. Then the same performance began with the straining to pee. Once he's peed he seems brighter and though not as happy as he should be he does eat a little and is pooing a little. Poops are still small but not tiny, nor hard misshapen things.
I had to syringe his Loxicom and it was not a pleasant experience, for either of us.
I shall have to talk to the vet in the morning.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Oh Woodwench hunni, I don't know what to say. I hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow.

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Thundercracker last episode his poos were small and it took a little over a week to come back to normal.
When he came of the ratitidine he slowed his eaten so vets have put him on it long term.
I used basil to get thundercracker to start eating. I still syringe his medicine since he doesnt mind it.

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks Gemma. Reboot seems okay with eating though he is a tad selective. He is eating Probiotic nuggets, hay and dried dandelion, blackcurrant and plantain leaves plus grass and fresh dandelion leaves. His poos are smallish but what I'd expect at this stage. It's his peeing that is worrying me. He has had two straining episodes since coming home which I shall be talking to the vet about tomorrow. I shall phone first thing in the morning and hope to get through, it's a bit like phoning at 8 o'clock for a Dr's appointment!
I have a Dr's appointment a 9-20 tomorrow so a vet trip would have to be in the afternoon.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 am

I hope all goes well Woodwench lovey and for you too at the doctors. Hugs

Hugs
Jo xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwench Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Yesterday was a turning point. Reboot had had another peeing problem at 10 on Sunday night and he was looking uncomfortable when I left for the Dr's on Mon. morning but was OK when I got home. I don't know if he had another 'episode' or not but he hasn't had one since and there's been no pee outside of his litter tray. He's eating well, actively searching out food. I shall have him back in his eating routine by this time next week.
I talked with his vet yesterday afternoon and he wondered if he had a bladder or kidney infection but has he improving we were both loathe to give him anti-biotics which could upset his tum again. I suggested we wait to see how he is on Wed. morning before starting any more meds and he agreed.
Today he is improved over yesterday, more active and eating well and no sign of a pee problem (yet, fingers crossed) so I'm hoping things are OK.
I'm not happy that there will be days when I shall have to get Loxicom into him. I'm hoping I can do it as I have with buns in the past, on a treat. Again, fingers crossed.

But, that's the latest on Reboot .... rebooting nicely, thank you.

I have got a referral to the breast unit at Princess Diana Hospital Grimsby. Not got the date but it will be in the next couple of weeks. My Dr was optimistic as the lump is hard and round and she thinks, likely is a cyst or a trauma lump as I had a bruise there recently.
woodwench
woodwench
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by gemma997 Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Good on reboot.
Sorry to hear about your lump, rubbing rabbit feet for luck ( much to thundercracker annoyance)

Xxx
gemma997
gemma997
Established Hopper
Established Hopper

Number of posts : 1609
Registration date : 2015-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jolovesbunnies Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 am

I am so glad that Reboot is better hunni and I hope he continues to improve. I know what you mean about antibiotics. they always upset my tummy too.

Thinking of you sweetie and I am so sorry to hear about your lump. I really hope they are able to make you better soon. Do you have regular breast screening in your area?

Hugs
JO xx

jolovesbunnies
Elder Hopper
Elder Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by iiisecondcreep Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Glad to hear Reboot is rebooting! Hope your own app goes well

Gayle xx